G2 vs Scorpion - mini review

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...since joining here last month I have been on a flashlight buying spree.

My latest 2 have been the G2 ($29.95 with batteries) and the Scorpion ($24.95 without batteries), roughly the same. I wanted 2 inexpensive (by flashaholic standards) but still powerful, small lithium lights for my car and my motorcycle.

I must say I like the feel of the G2 alot better than the scorpion. The G2 slides in and out of a jeans pocket alot easier, and feels sturdier. The scorpion feels smaller in the hand though, and seems to take up less space. The scorpion is a little brighter and whiter, although the spill light is not as clean and smooth as the G2, it's 98% as good though. The G2 tailswitch is much better than the scorpions (with it's unattached rubber sleeve), though not as good as the 6P/9P switch. I like the scorpion's ability to have a spare bulb in the light, but I hear the bulbs blow 3 times faster than the SF's. The scorpions adjustable beam is nice for utility purposes, and there's no room for a spares carrier, so the scorpion has become my main motorcycle emergency light. The G2 needs a beamshaper for up close work, so it lives in the car, where there is plenty of room to keep a spares carrier and some up close type lights as well.

They are both good lights and well worth the inexpensive price.

Still, except for the fashion penalty (in my case), nothing beats a 6P with flip up beamshaper in a SF V26 holster (except maybe the new A2).

I wonder if I'll ever talk myself into an M6 and a 10X. I'm getting closer. It's funny how my priorities have changed since I found this site. I could have bought an electric vest and a Givi E35 with all this flashlight money
icon3.gif

sorry to ramble on
smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks Stingray...even though those torches have been around for awhile and there have been various ramblings here on the "Forums", I always enjoy reading other folks opinions. They may bring up something I never thought of before.

Also, as torches are modified and improved by the manufacturers, those of us who own "older models" need to be "updated" now and then. Prime example is the Inova X5T that now has a "hex" barrel vs. the "fluted" design. I found out about that desing mod here. BTW, I think I like that hex design vs. the fluting, though I've not been able to handle one yet.

Rambling....

nihraguk

Enlightened
i might be getting a G2 soon for my mum to put in her car as an emergency light....i don't feel comfortable with the cheap plastic 2AA torch she has now. chances are by the time she needs it the batteries would have leaked and corroded the whole light. besides, the light output is a joke
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 quick points -

The scorpion bulbs supposedly only last 1/3 as long as the G2's, but also cost 1/3 as much, so cost-wise, it's a wash.

You forgot to add the cost of the beamshaper to the G2. The Scorpion does not require this accessory to spread out it's beam since it is spot-to-flood focusable. The beamshaper is a hidden cost of the G2 if you want a wide flood for close up work.

nihraguk

Enlightened
quickbeam: a cheap and effective beamshaper for the G2 would be to stick some satin finish scotch tape on the lens...it probably reduces light output a little but you'll get a very nice and even floodlight.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
nihraguk - I understand your point, but I don't think it would be practical to carry around a roll of tape with you and tape up/untape the lens whenever you needed the G2 configured for up-close work...
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just keep other lights in the car for close up work instead of buying another beamshaper for the G2.

nihraguk

Enlightened
quickbeam: you could try fashioning your own beamshaper though...perhaps a strip of cardboard that wraps around the g2 bezel nicely, with a lexan lens taped with the satin tape to the circle of cardboard
smile.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam, I agree, the Scorpion is a more versatile light for the money. The G2 needs a flip up beamshaper to be a utility light.

But I already had utility lights in the car before I bought the G2 (M@g 3D, PT 40, minim@g, Rayovac 4AA with leatherman clone tool in the base) so it didn't matter to me.

The Scorpion is perfect to keep on the bike, it takes up less room, I have a spare bulb with me at all times (and 2 spare batteries), it can be a tactical light (if the sleeve is pushed up) and a utility light. Storage space is at a premium on my bike, all I have is a little compartment under the rear seat. The scorpion fits better. I ride that bike alot so I wanted a reliable lithium light. Either one would do but the Scorpion saves me the cost of buying a beamshaper.

My only complaint about the Scorpion is that the rubber sleeve moves around and slides back as I use the switch. Eventually it impedes switch operation and I have to force the sleeve forward. I haven't tried gluing it down yet. Also the rubber sleeve makes the light not slide in and out of a pocket easily. And the head is a little wobbly when not screwed in all the way.

I think the G2 is more rugged and a little better built and better suited for tactical use than the Scorpion, although the Scorpion can be used as a tactical light if necessary.

Like I said, they are both good lights and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one.

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
The sleeve on the Scorpion can be glued in place with either temporary or permanent glue.
I have the clip on mine and the sleeve does not budge. I like the fact that I can buy bulbs for $4 a piece.
Having said all that, I still want to get a SF G2Z!

nihraguk

Enlightened
quickbeam: yea now that you mention it i've gotta ask myself what my point was
grin.gif
anyway i usually use an arc AAA for close up work...its perfect for that
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why bother? I've got a Scorpion!
grin.gif
wink.gif

Stingray - in that case, don't forget to factor in the cost of those extra lights... The point being that the Scorpion fits the bill as-is for both close-up and distance lighting. No "extra lights" or beamshaper accessories needed.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Inverse Square:
The sleeve on the Scorpion can be glued in place with either temporary or permanent glue.
I have the clip on mine and the sleeve does not budge. I like the fact that I can buy bulbs for $4 a piece.
Having said all that, I still want to get a SF G2Z!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Keep an eye in the B/S/T Forum. I may have G2Z's that I'll be posting for sale.