JetBeam PA20 or Klarus XT2A or Eagletac P20A2 MKII S2

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I am lost, looking for any insight on this. I think the XT2A may throw the furthest but I had a JetBeam PA40 and that was one tough light.

I put the Quark X Tactical 2AA to get an opinion. Whats it's regulated ANSI output after the stepdown? I am very confused on this light.
EDIT: According to lightreviews.com the Quark Tactical X 2AA drops to 70% of it's output after 5 minutes on MAX mode. That's going from 327 to 230 lumens after 5 minutes. Sound about right guys?

The P20A2 so far is catching my eye as it seems it may acutally be the brightest with the best throw.
Any input would be great. I plan on using if for the usual. Bunker exploration, hiking, urban exploring, etc. Thanks for any helps guys.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JetBeam PA20 or Klarus P2A or (Maybe Quark 2AA X Tactical?)

The Klarus is a nice light. I gave one to my wife and she likes it. I have the XT-2A and think it's a great light.
I have not played with a Quark but I happen to like the Tacctical's a lot also.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JetBeam PA20 or Klarus XT2A or Eagletac P20A2 MKIi S2

I am lost, looking for any insight on this. I think the XT2A may throw the furthest but I had a JetBeam PA40 and that was one tough light.

The P20A2 so far is catching my eye as it seems it may acutally be the brightest with the best throw.
Any input would be great. I plan on using if for the usual. Bunker exploration, hiking, urban exploring, etc. Thanks for any helps guys.

I have both the JetBeam PA20 and the Klarus XT2A and they are both great lights. As for brightness, they seem to be more or less the same. For the throw instead, the PA20 seems to have a slight edge.
I'll try them side by side tonight and let you know what I think. I might do a couple of beamshots against the wall if you think it would help. If you have any preference on the distance or camera settings let me know though: I'm hopeless at taking pictures! :naughty:

Other notable differences between the 2 flashlights:
PA20:
XP-G R5 with SMO reflector
Opeartion: forward clicky with momentary and twist-head with 1 turbo on tightened bezel + 3 output levels + 2 non-hidden flashing modes with memory on loosened bezel
Pocket clip
No diffusers available - the Fenix camping lampshade is the only one I found that fits
Can tail-stand on a flat and even surface

XT2A

XP-G R5 with OP reflector
Opeartion: double tail-switch with momentary on for easy 1-hand operation with 3 output levels with no memory (high always comes on first) + hidden strobe
PWM - not visible but on mine a hissing sound can be heard if the flashlight is placed close to the ear
No pocket clip - I find this to be less of an issue with the XT2A than with the XT1A though
Pouch is useless as the flap is too short and the velcro won't close without activating momentary on
Klarus white and red diffusers available
Cannot tail-stand

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them - assuming they are not too technical for me! : )
You have probably already seen this mini-review but in you case you didn't check it out as it has some very useful info on the JetBeam PA/PC Series and the PA20 too.

I have no way to compare the PA20 and the XT2A to the Quark X Tactical or the Eagletac P20A2 though.

Hope it helps,

L

PS: I was undecided between the PA20 and the XT2C and went for the first. Within 2 months I found myself owning both! If you find yourself staring at pictures of both lights for too long, for the sake of your hard-earned savings, I strongly recommend you immediately switch off the PC and turn on all lights in your house to tell yourself you don't need another flashlight! Also, this forum can be dangerous, I really think they should have a health-department warning people on the potential side-effects of membership! :devil:

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

So the pa20 has more throw, even by a little thats awesome. Thanks for posting this! I am thinking pa20 now.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've tried both flashlights again. I confirm my perception is that the PA20 throws a bit further. I really find it hard to tell how much but if I really had to give you ballpark estimate I'd say 15/20 meters at most.

If you want to be dead sure, I'd try to wait and see if somebody else who has both flashlights confirms that.

The only way you are going to be absolutely sure is if self-built comes out with a mini-review of the XT2A/C series: that way you'd have objective and comparable data to make a decision. You might also be lucky enough and somebody else reviews both lights based on objective data.

If I were you I take a few factors into consideration before making a decision.

UI
If you want a flashlight with a very intuitive UI, I'd go for the UI I'd go for the XT2A.
If you want a flashlight that lets you choose which output level it goes on, I'd go for the PA20. As long as you remember to keep the bezel tightened it will go on on high just like the XT2A.
If you want one-hand operation, I'd go with the XT2A but the PA20 can be used with one hand, just keep in mind that sometimes you'll have to change grip if you have to twist the bezel to get to the output level you need.
If you want to have a choice over more output levels I'd go with the PA20 but keep in mind that the XT2A output levels are well spaced considered there are only 3 of them.

If you don't want to cycle through too many modes, I'd go for the XT2A but consider that the PA20 has memory so you won't have to cycle through all the lower modes very often.
If you want to the light to come on on a very low mode to keep night vision, I'd go for the PA20 but don't forget that you can keep the head of your XT2A against any surface - including your body - to cycle through the lower mode and then use the light.
If you want a a very low output for night vision the PA20 has a 1-lumen mode while the XT2A's lowest mode is 2 lumen; still the difference is minor and with the XT2A you can use the red diffuser to keep night vision.
If you want you want your light to come on high all the time, the XT2A is what you want but you might happen to accidentally press the main and mode switch at the same time and find yourself in the medium output mode by mistake; just be aware the the head of your coveted PA20 might twist without you knowing it and find yourself in strobe instead of 1-lumen lower low in the middle of the night! :nana:
After all of the above has sunk in, you will still have a few more details to factor in:

Runtimes: based on manufacturers data the PA20 wins and I'm quite sure it does in reality too as the gap is too big for any overrating or underrating to surprisingly prove either stats to be so wrong. However, on the second-to-highest output level the XT2A has the best output / runtime ratio with 60 lumen / 8 hours while the PA20 has big gap between the 110 / 4.5 hours and the 16 lumen / 26.5 hour.

Tint: I perceive the XT2A as more cool white while the PA20 seems to have slightly greenish tint. I'd probably go for the PA20 for camping and the XT2A for bunker exploration.

Beam: thanks to the OP reflector the XT2A has a smoother transition from hotspot to the corona all the way to the outer spill. The PA20 has a surprisingly smooth beam for having a SMO reflector: I didn't even realize it actually had rings until one day I put the light 5" against the wall - said by someone who sent a PA10 back for replacement because I was bothered by rings and something else...

Clicky: when I first used the "squishy" spring of the PA20 I was like "what the **** is this?" but after a couple of days I was missing that feeling: considering you cycle through it, the "squishy" madness makes perfect sense. On the other hand, the XT2A dual tail switch feels so natural that you inevitably think "why did they wait so long to invent it"!

Acccessories:
Clip: if you like to clip a flashlight to your pocket and has, I'd go for the PA20: you can even position the clip at 3 different levels on the tailcap side and on one level on the head side. As I already said though the XT2A is big enough that you'll instantly find it into your pocket even if not clipped to it.

Lanyard: neither is great but the PA20's is larger and can be resized to fit your hand. The XT2 may be too small for larger hands but at the same time it gets in the way and peels less.

Holster: if you think you are going to be using one, forget about the XT2A, Klarus thought size doesn't matter and shipped their light with an holster that would only fit a light 1" smaller. Yet if you'd really need a holster you'd probably look for and get one of higher quality than the one that comes with the PA20.

I hope the above is going to help you make a clear decision. After going through all existing threads on both lights available at the time I went for the PA20. Then I saw :devil::devil: "the light" :devil::devil: and I eventually got both!

Good luck with your choice! :devil::devil::devil:

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

Im a little cofused on the pa20 UI. Is it the same as the pa40?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im a little cofused on the pa20 UI. Is it the same as the pa40?
I don't have a PA40 but from what I can see in the PA40 review the UIs are not the same.

The PA20 review works like this:
Bezel tightened - Tactical mode: the PA20 always goes on High (230 lumen) and only has this output level.
Bezel loosened - Daily mode: the PA20 has a memory function and it will go on on the last output level you used. The output levels available are: Mid (110 L), Low (16 L), Lower Low (1 L), Strobe, SOS.
To cycle through the different output levels, either 1) switch off/on from On or 2) soft-press from Off.

If you are still confused then check any PC10/PC20 or PA20/PA10 video on Youttube: they show how they work!

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all your help guya. This thread actually got me looking at the PA40 i once had. Next thing you know for a little more then the PA20 i ended up getting the PA40. Thanks for all your help guys. Im sure others will referance this thread. Thanks again.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Both my XT-2A and P20C2 are XML emitters. The XT-2A does not come with an XPG.

The P20C2 throws better with a nicer defined hot spot since it has a deeper reflector, the XT-2A has a floodier beam with almost no central hot spot.

OOOPS my bad, just realized. were talking A series not C series :whistle::ohgeez:

Anyway, just a bump in the thread

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

Both my XT-2A and P20C2 are XML emitters. The XT-2A does not come with an XPG.

The P20C2 throws better with a nicer defined hot spot since it has a deeper reflector, the XT-2A has a floodier beam with almost no central hot spot.

OOOPS my bad, just realized. were talking A series not C series :whistle::ohgeez:

Anyway, just a bump in the thread
P
Thanks! I didnt know the xt2a was an xm-l. No longer interested in it. Thanks for posting that.

Edit: it says on klarus website it comes with an xpg r5 emitter. Bit confused.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

The XT2A does come with an XP-G R5 and so do the the XT1A and probably the XT1C.
Also my XT2A has a well-defined and visible hotspot.

I think Madecov probably meant the XT2C which comes with an XM-L T6. : )

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

The XT2A does come with an XP-G R5 and so do the the XT1A and probably the XT1C.
Also my XT2A has a well-defined and visible hotspot.

I think Madecov probably meant the XT2C which comes with an XM-L T6. : )

That's why I edited my post. I was mistaken and looked at my XT-2C.
My XT-2A and XT-1A both have have R5 emitters