Does anyone have a Badgelight ?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any experiences of this accessory - it looks OK, quite useful and fun, but is it durable ?

I know the coloured cover is replaceable, that is, you can change clear for red or whatever.

Can you make one version work on both the Mag-Charger and a Mag 3D - is it possible to simply add a resistor somehow to make one do for both 3v and 6v ?

Thanks,

Lite-Lover
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Badgelights work well. They are bright, and a useful adjunct to a reflective vest when at an accident site.

Two concerns; first of all, the burn time of the light is down to about an hour if the flasher and the main lamp is on at the same time. This is from a usual 12-14 hours with just the Carley xenon star or krypton star lamp on. So you only get about 10% of usual burn time.

Secondly, while they are well made and durable, they are expensive.

Hope this helps, Walt

Tim Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
The Badgelight is an innovative way to get noticed at night. Current colors are red, amber and blue (technically police use only- check your local laws). It's visible from 400 yards in the dark- plenty of stopping/noticing distance for motorists (I'd hope!). Anyway, as Walt mentioned, it's a big battery hog- I've had better results than Walt did- I gotten nearly 2 hours on a 4D Mag with new batteries with both the Carley and Badgelight running. Perhaps I had newer batteries? A big draw in any event. Bascially, it's a xenon photo tube strobe inside the lexan cover- and if you know anything about photography, you know that the flash kills the batteries faster than just about anything else. Similar case here- the strobe flashes 140 times per minute, which is a very high drain. It's also only for D cell or Mag/Streamlight rechargeables.

The retail price has dropped a lot since Walt and I acquired mine, so they aren't as pricey as they used to be.

Also of note- and I just noticed this- the website says they have one that runs off the last D battery (1.5V) whereas Walt's and my BL's run off the last TWO batteries for 3V. So the new version might not be as bright, and it only puts out 90 flashes per minute, but it should have a better runtime than Walt and I mention.

As for making it work with the Magcharger AND the standard maglite- nope- it's a different animal. Of course, I'm sure there's something you could do to hack at the innards to make it work, but the specs would be off (flash rate) I would think. BTW- it only works with post 1990 lights. And AFAIK from all their literature, there is no clear cover. See it here: http://www.badgelight.com

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
smile.gif
Thanks all. WOW, I had no idea that the runtime would be hit so hard ! For professionals only methinks.
rolleyes.gif
And it seemed like a fun Idea.

Well, it'll just have to go lower on the wishlist.

I've recently been told that about 5 years ago they were on sale in the UK for ~$135.

What happened to the Mag-Design in 1990 Tim ?

lite-lover
frown.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif