Drop in LED for 3C Mag Lite?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if there is a relatively cheap LED drop in for my 3 C Mag Lite? It my bedside light in addition to a Thrunite Ti.
Thanks,
Jerry

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'll take a look. I was hoping that I might find one that would have at least as much throw as the Xenon bulb in the light. I have no idea as to the lumen output or the throw of the xenon light. It has always seemed bright and a good throw to me. I use it so much that I checked the batteries a week or so ago, and they were good but recommended to be used before 2009.:)
Jerry

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspected as much.
I also have a 3C Kel-lite. I am not sure but I think the TLE-6EXB Might fit in it. The Kel-lite does not have as much light or throw as the Mag lite. If that bulb would fit the Kel-lite it would be a big improvement. I once tried a Mag lite xenon bulb in the Kel-lite, but it did not make any difference. I did not understand why - and still don't. Thanks for the comment.
Jerry

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Terralux TLE-6EXB for around $20

I recently bought two of the 6EX for my 6D Maglites, from Battery Junction, for $33.50 delivered.

They work fine with an almost blue/aqua tint. Output is about the same, but battery life and sturdiness are much better. Flood and beam functions are retained, FWIW.

The 2-3 cell versions are the same price, IIRC.

Chris

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I ordered one today from Battery Junction. If it will work with my Kel-Lite I'll get another.
Regards,
Jerry

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLE-6EXB is a good replacement but if it works in your Kel-Lite and you are willing to spend more $$ the better performing Malkoff Mag drop-ins are available at a good price right now.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for that heads up on the half price Mag Malkoff's!!!
Hell of a deal there! Had to order one.

I was holding out for a neutral/warm version but couldn't pass up the great price myself! The tint of my two examples are pretty decent and they really bring the old Maglites back to life! :D

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the Terralux TLE-6EXB lamp today, and I really like it. I have no way to measure the output compared to the xenon lamp, but it looks to be brighter. It did not improve my 3C Kel-Lite enough to buy another, but I am glad I got it for my 3C Mag lite.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jerry

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I asked Gene if he could do a few warm D cell Mag drop ins just a week or so a go and he replied that they are just to busy for small custom jobs anymore. I told him I understood and congratulated him on the success but I still really wanted a warm Malkoff Drop in. I ended up ordering a regular drop in and a High CRI XP-G from illumination supply. I was able to directly swap out the cool XP-G for the High CRI with relatively little effort. Everything is very exposed on the drop in, so I just desoldered the leads to the board and plucked it off with a pair of pliers. I then bonded the new LED/10mm board to the heat sink with some Arctic Alumina and resoldered the leads to the new LED. Voila! Custom High CRI Malkoff Mag drop in.

My point is that if you really want a warm one, it can be done. If you don't personally have the tools/skills to do it, there are definitely some folks out there who do. I would be willing to give it a go if you wanted.

Cheers!

I was holding out for a neutral/warm version but couldn't pass up the great price myself! The tint of my two examples are pretty decent and they really bring the old Maglites back to life! :D

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I asked Gene if he could do a few warm D cell Mag drop ins just a week or so a go and he replied that they are just to busy for small custom jobs anymore. I told him I understood and congratulated him on the success but I still really wanted a warm Malkoff Drop in. I ended up ordering a regular drop in and a High CRI XP-G from illumination supply. I was able to directly swap out the cool XP-G for the High CRI with relatively little effort. Everything is very exposed on the drop in, so I just desoldered the leads to the board and plucked it off with a pair of pliers. I then bonded the new LED/10mm board to the heat sink with some Arctic Alumina and resoldered the leads to the new LED. Voila! Custom High CRI Malkoff Mag drop in.

My point is that if you really want a warm one, it can be done. If you don't personally have the tools/skills to do it, there are definitely some folks out there who do. I would be willing to give it a go if you wanted.

Cheers!

I think I am going to try a lens filter eventually but thanks for the offer.I like the idea of experimenting with different filters without having to mod the light.Just need to get hold of some larger filter material for the Mags.