NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Default Re: Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

I haven't been on this site in awhile but this looks like quite an old thread that has been dug up. Glad to see Fenix still cranking out great lights!

I'll admit to being ignorant of a 'p60' and hds if anyone can provide information it would be greatly appreciated.

The 'qualities' of one flashlight compared to another absolutely do indicate which is 'better' ; all things being fairly equal isn't a longer run time better-isn't a higher output better, isn't a light with more selectable levels of output better, isn't a light which can work on more than one type of battery better, isn't a light which has multiple leds AND can continue to function when one or more of the leds fail better, isn't a light that OFFERS strobe/sos -better- than one that does not, isn't a light that has a stronger warranty better ???????

If anyone does not agree with my position regarding Fenix in general and the TK 35UE 3200 in particular please post the brand/model that you believe to be superior then and only then can an intelligent exchange occur.

Quote Originally Posted by tom- View Post
    I'll admit to being ignorant of a 'p60' and hds if anyone can provide information it would be greatly appreciated.

The 'qualities' of one flashlight compared to another absolutely do indicate which is 'better' ; all things being fairly equal isn't a longer run time better-isn't a higher output better, isn't a light with more selectable levels of output better, isn't a light which can work on more than one type of battery better, isn't a light which has multiple leds AND can continue to function when one or more of the leds fail better, isn't a light that OFFERS strobe/sos -better- than one that does not, isn't a light that has a stronger warranty better ???????

If anyone does not agree with my position regarding Fenix in general and the TK 35UE 3200 in particular please post the brand/model that you believe to be superior then and only then can an intelligent exchange occur.

Higher runtime would always be better. Higher output, not always so. Depends on your use. Brighter is not always better! Some people like simple user interfaces and may only want a few brightness level settings. This would be a personal preference. A light that can work on different types of batteries is always usefull! Multiple LEDS? Maybe, unless you need a light with a lot of throw, and I do not think ones with multiple LED's do this very well. Some people hate strobe on a light, but this again, is personal preference. A good warranty is always better!!

There are literally hundreds of threads spanning at least 15 years regarding the P60 platform and HDS lights (in fact HDS has their own subforum here). This ancient Fenix thread isnít the place to rehash all of that. Thanks.

With that last post tom I will remove myself from this thread. Thanks for the discussion.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

To me, worlds best cop light is just too subjective, but it has been a pleasure to watch that statement defended.
    Bravo.

I won't stray from the Fenix brand and name alternate brands that I consider great cop lights but I will say for me it absolutely, positively has to be built around a primary fuel source with the ability to use rechargeables too.
    Also a barrel about the size of a golf club handle, ball bat handle or bicycle grip is more suited to super gripping in stressful times.
    Interface should be super simple with perhaps alternate options. A light with on/off, and a backup with options would be more ideal in my view. Same with a revolver as a primary and a semi-auto as a back up.

Uber reliability first, options second.

It's nice to see one Fenix lights receive a vote as the worlds best cop light.
    John 3:16

nbp, all I can find out is that the 60 is some sort of head assembly nothing on the hds, fairly confident we are not discussing Home Depot Supply...

nbp, all I can find out is that the 60 is some sort of head assembly nothing on the hds, fairly confident we are not discussing Home Depot Supply...
    You have to be trolling. I was invested until you said youíd never heard of a P60 or HDS but that fenix is the greatest evaaaaaarrrrrr. HDS literally has its own subforum. There is no possible way you canít find it.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

As a matter of fact if you go to ďwhats newĒ there are 6 HDS related posts within 12 of your post.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Omg, Tom. Thank you! Best laugh Iíve had all day!

Now I know for sure youíre messing with me as those might be two of the most discussed platforms in all of CPF history. Surefire P60 dropin modules date back to the 1980s and HDS flashlights to the early 2000s. There are more than 20 main HDS threads stretching back to circa 2008 with about 25k posts plus hundreds of ancillary threads.

Donít get me wrong, I like Fenix, but If by chance you seriously have never heard of Surefire or HDS then I would say you are not in fact in any position to determine what the best flashlight ever is, as you have not even tried some of the most highly regarded brands out there. In this case, I definitely recommend you check them out.

I haven't been around posting on this forum for a while now, mainly because I had to get control of my flashlight buying and selling antics. Was getting out of hand. But, now that I've stepped away and haven't been concerned about finding and trying out new lights, UIs, or manufacturers, I find myself with 5 lights, 4 of which are Fenix, and 3 of those Fenix lights are E01s. Yes I'm still in love with them. I also have an LD11 that I tried to sell but nobody would buy it so I figured I'd keep it. It's a very simple and solid single AA light. The only non-Fenix light I have is an Maglite. I don't know if Fenix is "the best" but they're pretty darn good and they've been working well for me.

I don't know if Fenix is good, but with the 2 that I have, they have not had any flickering/switch issues that I have had with other cheaper brands
    They work when they need to work.

The P60 was the replacement to the P52 in Vietnam. P52 Mustangs were dated so they built P60 SureFire's to replace them.
    HDS is for Hardware Delivery Systems who sell parts for P60 SureFire enthusiasts who have not been killed by the Malkoff flu yet.
    And Streamlight used to be named extreme light but the owners grandson could not say it correctly. It ends up his grandson invented a flashlight too. It was called an ARC. That stood for "aintit really cool". A chinese engineer decided to build one like it but his English wasn't so sporty. He decided to name it after his favorite town in Arizona.

How can I search if Greta has a sticky stating that it isn't available-I don't know anything about 'drop ins' other than that this thing exists and I still don't know what the HDS is-fairly confident that -by-, and others, are making sport of me and this is fine as I enjoy humor-especially when one takes the position that there are better choices than Fenix light in general and the TK 35UE 3200 in particular. To read that alleged product enthusiasts view an available feature of a flashlight as a liability is quite simply amazing-apparently this sub group believes that if all available levels are not -exercised- on a regular basis the option becomes deactivated-more better is that they would care about this result anyway as in the end, they would have what so many other makers produce, very limited use products.

What I do know and hope others reading this thread have realized is that no other specific brands/models have been presented for discussion-logic requires only one conclusion can be reached-a factual discussion is being avoided because no tenable contrary argument can intelligently be made.

This thread has the potential to become the 'go to' for someone seeking accurate info-why the desire to nuke it or make the thrust something other than what it is ?

Certainly one can dispute the necessity of using strobe/sos, what is difficult to intelligently argue however is why one would not WISH to have these two features available. But to maintain that there is such a thing as excessive output, excessive levels of output, excessive spill/or that spill isn't necessary-depending on intended us of course, or that one brand cannot be factually demonstrated to have superior qualities is insanity.

Or, upon reflection-design.

decided to add this;

admit defeat and close the thread or be brave and take part.
    Last edited by tom-; 02-20-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Default Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Incorrect. The topic of the thread is to ask about Fenix lights features and quality. Not to compare and contrast particular models with other flashlights for specific tasks. If you would like to start that thread, please do so. To compare every possible light to the TK35 takes this thread far from its purpose.

Furthermore, use the Google search bar at the top of the page it works perfectly

If my comments were seen as poking fun at you Tom, I regret that. I truely did enjoy reading your reaponses about your favorite cop light. Not many folks feel that strongly about a brand or model of anything be it flashlight, a knife, a car or a beer. Your passion truely is appreiated here.

Now regarding naming names to compare which is possibly better or not, I chose not to specify other brands since this is a Fenix thread. Yes they are good flashligts no doubt. A more open topic thread would probably have more input in that regard but often times "worlds best" specific light threads lead to fur flying and thread closure. Used to be threads like those here in the past and things got ugly fast. Heck some even led to banned members.

So I'll just leave off the little side track topic "worlds best cop light" by saying "Long live the Fenix TK35".

No...

I have not bought a Fenix light in a while, but I must own over 10 of them. They were one of the first brands I discovered when I first started buying "high end" lights. Every one I own is very well made and I have not any trouble with them.

nbp, the op consists of 27 words with two brands cited.

byk-absolutely no offense taken with any of your posts, I rather enjoy them.

It is quite easy to establish categories for lights because a category, by definition, requires and consists of shared characteristics-really purely objective. Even more objective is determining which brand provides the needed performance as the makers publish performance data-but little would be gained by not being able to identify brands-though it would be interesting to see just how long mods would allow the endeavor.

My guess not very long at all.

Tom, you seem to be confusing Moderation to keep threads on topic and useful with some sort of censorship or brand loyalty. This isnít the case. You can start any thread you want, comparing any flashlights you want to any other flashlights for any purposes you want. You can compare flashlights to pineapples or torque wrenches, if you desire to. I couldnít care less. All Iím saying is THIS thread was to ask about FENIX lights. (And frankly, this thread is eight years old and the OP hasnít posted in years so itís not even the most relevant thread on THIS topic.) So your insistence on discussing all manner of other flashlight brands here is off topic. I donít understand why this is so difficult to grasp, or your insistence on using this particular thread to push the idea that this one particular flashlight is the solution to all mankindís problems. Please, please, look for an existing thread about that flashlight or start your own thread to discuss whatever topic you are interested in. This really isnít that challenging.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...52#post5368752
    Here ya go Tom. State your case in an open topic cop light threadÖÖ

I take it only the models made by 'Cop Light' will be permitted ?

couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    I can tell you with hundreds of experiences (literally) that yes you are lucky. I have never seen a strobe effect a domestic dog, a raccoon, a bear (4 times now with a tn36utvn), deer, coyote. YMMV. I don't want to be convinced I need a strobe, I don't. Im loving the run times though and cant find if the strobe can be bypassed or locked out like in a programmable p60 module or hds. There is no click pattern to get the strobe correct? it is just one of the built in modes? Thanks again.
    Hey there BigBurly 👋🏻 ... I completely get where you are coming from, but with regard to strobe effects on canines, I recently had an experience with a less than friendly pooch, and figured I would see if an 800lm strobe to the eyes would deter the mid size terrier. It did. He didnít seem to care for it much and decided I wasnít going to be as much fun as he thought as a chew toy (or it was coincidence and he left on his own for some other reason). This is hardly a scientific study on my end, but I figured I would try the strobe over OC spray as a first line of action. Would I attempt it with a bear or angry elk? No. But this dog seemed like a decent test pup to try it on as he wasnít charging me full speed but still had a healthy trot going. Just thought I would share my experience (although it wasnít a Fenix). I stumbled on this thread looking for thoughts on the Fenix 35R... Iím missing a decent EDC Tac and ended up here. Cheers 🍻

Yes, Fenix makes good lights. Well-built, bright and reliable.

I'd have to say I'm a Surefire and Fenix guy, and both companies have their own merits. Surefires are expensive, but great lights and are Made in the USA. At least all of mine were.

I own more Fenix lights, though, having first tried them for their bang for the buck, and all my latest purchases have been higher-end Fenix units like the excellent TK75 2018 Edition. One awesome light!

Unenlightened

Fenix flashlights are good, but I prefer EagleTac.

Flashaholic*

Fenix sucks all their lights I had stopped working, warranty is a joke, the only Fenix that still works is the E01 and that is only because is Arc AAA ripoff design.
    Streamlight I trust way more plus they have outstanding warranty.

I agree. I have a few Fenix lights and 1/2 no longer work. Tried to get them fixed but they are no longer supported. Best I got was a 25% discount. 5% more than what is standard on their website. Going to try Olight.

Quote Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
    Fenix sucks all their lights I had stopped working, warranty is a joke, the only Fenix that still works is the E01 and that is only because is Arc AAA ripoff design.
    Streamlight I trust way more plus they have outstanding warranty.

How can I search if Greta has a sticky stating that it isn't available-....
    If you'd bothered to actually read the posts in the thread... and more specifically THIS POST... you would see search had been restored a month ago. Obviously, you did nothing to even try. The search box is prominent in the upper right of every page in the navigation bar. Did you even try to use it? From your comment here, my guess is you saw the title of a thread in the forum index and didn't even bother to check it out. You didn't bother to do any research or searching yourself. That alone speaks volumes.

wow

Hey- did I at least win the contest for naming the new sub forum?-if I did I get to buy myself a new Fenix..

Flashaholic*

Between flashlights and headlamps, I own over 30 Fenix lights. Many of them were and still are used daily.
    Over the past 10 years I've had only one Fenix fail and a replacement was arranged through the regional distributor.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast