Wuben        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Default Re: Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Quote Originally Posted by fannin View Post
    yeah fenix the best build quality of all chinese lights i've tried, they the best chinese lights
    I disagree. Olight has the best build quality of ALL lights I've ever seen and I own literally several hundred flashlights. Just hold a Warrior X Pro in your hand and compare it with any other light out there. OMG the difference is immense. Everything about it screams PREMIUM. But really words can't describe how nice they are.

Fenix is also good, probably the 2nd highest quality flashlight brand in existence but I just don't like their UI and I think the design and finishing is not as nice as Olight. However, similar to Olight, their specs are very honest and driver efficiency and regulation is best in the industry.

However neither brands are perfect to me because their emitter options suck. Lack of warmer CCT and HI CRI options. Would have been perfect if they cared about tint and CRI like Fireflies.

Quote Originally Posted by tom- View Post
    professionals [...] who depend on having illumination to save lives need look no further. The Company either has former law enforcement/military/fire and first responders on staff or they solicit these people often and develop from suggestions/input.
    Interesting perspective. Wasnít tracking Fenix as a go to choice for the hard use crowd. Is Fenix potting their lights now?
    ďWord salad, a tell for cognitive dissonance.Ē -Scott Adams [&JEDNKH] [&RSDNW] [&My_Lights]

Default Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Well folks, i just stumbled upon fenix-store youtube channel and i gotta say WOW!
    I wonít say anything, just look for TK09v2 and PD40Rv2...
    Spoiler alert, rotary, twisty or whatever you like. UI like we havenít seen on Fenix lights yet

I would also like to see Fenix lights with warm tint.
    Different interface, with long press of the switch for firefly and double click for turbo.
    In the flashlights it would be good to have at least 6 brightness levels, the Fenix on many models has gone back from the classic 5 levels of the past to the current 4 levels.
    On reliability and quality I have nothing to say, it is excellent.

Is Fenix potting their lights? don't know perhaps someone can post the answer and let us know what this is and why it matters, if it matters.

I do know that Fenix lights are completely covered by warranty, allegedly some companies producing low output/low runtime lights; usually only with high: low outputs opt to exclude critical parts , which I find interesting.

Well, I didn't read the whole thread but, man there is some funny stuff... Olight the best build quality of any flashlight lol that's funny.

Fenix is one of the better, not the best but, one of the better Chinese made flashlight brands imo.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by radiotecha1234 View Post
    I have a mini mag light and it lights stuff up. I see this Fenix brand all over the place and wonder what the big deal is?
    No, they are better than what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Well, I didn't read the whole thread but, man there is some funny stuff... Olight the best build quality of any flashlight lol that's funny.

Fenix is one of the better, not the best but, one of the better Chinese made flashlight brands imo.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    I am sure this is going to hurt somebody's feelings. But frankly I find SF lights simply funny compared to Fenix. Olight is close to Fenix's quality. Nitecore is a no no. Overall Fenix has better quality at a lower cost.

To post that brand X is of high quality for a 'Chinese' made light implies that there are lights made in other places than China and unless the market has changed in the recent past for those of us here in America there are no options other than purchasing lights made in China.

To be labeled Made in the US, or rather for those products CORRECTLY labeled as being Made in the US all or virtually all parts/components must come from/originate from the United States; all or virtually all means that there can be no substantial components or parts (those which are critical to the finished products performance) produced outside of the United States.

So unless a maker is using American made; switches-electronics, including the led assembly, housing, springs, battery holder/enclosure and lens the product SHOULD not be labeled as made in the States and the product DOES NOT QUALIFY as being able to be marketed as an American made product.

Flashaholic*

Wow, this is an old thread I totally missed before!
    I have(and have had) a lot of Fenixes and it was the first quality flashlight brand I started to collect, and I have been a Fenix-fan. But slowly I started to fall away from Fenix when there are better alternatives. The restriction of neutral tint options, lack of moonmode, no direct access to turbomode(and that included in the memory function) has made me a bit disappointed.

My present favorite among the chinese brands is Thrunite. Excellent UI with direct access to moonmode and turbomode(and these excluded from the memory) combined with neutral options of almost all of their models is great. Another good thing is that if you want to change mode when light is on at medium mode, the cycle starts at low mode. This is good when you want to lower the level because you don't need to cycle through high mode first.

But I still like some of my Fenix lights.
    TK10 and TK20 are built like a tank and have a simple UI. Especially TK20 with its very nice warm tint makes it really worth to use even today. TA30 and TK30 are also great lights. Unfortunately TA30 is faulty: it shuts down after a a few seconds every time I use it. I wish Fenix would release updated versions of the old TK20, and TA-series with the revolving mode ring!
    And not to forget TK35 MT-G2. Very nice beam and tint, I still like it.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 02-13-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Thrunite does have one of the more unusual stated warranties; while the entire light is covered, electronics included, products purchased as 'gifts' are specifically excluded as are any and all replacements (in toto) provided should a claim be honored.

If nothing was lost in the translation and if the warranty is in fact as stated I think most would view the conditions are being more than a bit odd.

Don't have any of the products, not slamming the Company just posting an observation about the manner of how claims -appear- to be handled.

Thrunite does have one of the more unusual stated warranties; while the entire light is covered, electronics included, products purchased as 'gifts' are specifically excluded as are any and all replacements (in toto) provided should a claim be honored.

If nothing was lost in the translation and if the warranty is in fact as stated I think most would view the conditions are being more than a bit odd.

Don't have any of the products, not slamming the Company just posting an observation about the manner of how claims -appear- to be handled.
    I thought the thread was about Fenix, not Thrunite!
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

I like Fenix. Have quite a few lights. TK-70, original TK-75, and I just picked up the HT18 and TK-22UE. Tints used to be lousy years ago but now they're good as far as cool white goes. The 22UE is really built and has nice vanilla tint with no artifacts or shift. I'm liking the SST's which it has and that's what sold me.
    Thing is, the damned things are welded shut. When I went to open the TK35 when it first came out (had a horrible green tint) I had to use a propane torch full bore and channellocks to get it open. Almost ended up destroyed.
    So if you go into a Fenix keep the attitude that you might have to forgo modding. I'd love to change the emitters in the TK70 but.... I don't think so! It is still very capable.

I got a HT18 and I really like the tint. Neutral white with a touch of rose. In a compact long range beam, perfect.
    To be clear which version of TK 35 did you have? I was thinking about getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon9h View Post
    I like Fenix. Have quite a few lights. TK-70, original TK-75, and I just picked up the HT18 and TK-22UE. Tints used to be lousy years ago but now they're good as far as cool white goes. The 22UE is really built and has nice vanilla tint with no artifacts or shift. I'm liking the SST's which it has and that's what sold me.
    Thing is, the damned things are welded shut. When I went to open the TK35 when it first came out (had a horrible green tint) I had to use a propane torch full bore and channellocks to get it open. Almost ended up destroyed.
    So if you go into a Fenix keep the attitude that you might have to forgo modding. I'd love to change the emitters in the TK70 but.... I don't think so! It is still very capable.

It's an old one, the original. Torn down a few times for emitter swaps. I toasted the driver so I adapted in a Nanjig driver and rewired the battery carrier for parallel.

To properly assess a brand requires that differences between brands be acknowledged.

With regard to the TK35 series; the 35UE should be standard issue to every police officer in the US-it is categorically and unequivocally the finest light on the planet for general law enforcement use. This Fenix offers the perfect level of light-from reading documents, locating people in trouble to being able to keep those bent on causing trouble in view during a chase. The spill, max output and levels of output available strobe and run times are absolutely perfect and this lifesaving gem easily fits into a pants pocket.

Intelligent design and robust construction are two hallmarks that set Fenix apart from every other maker-fact-the go to brand for the 'smart use crowd'-and of course you do want to get your Fenix from Fenixlighting.....

Forgot to add that you also of have the benefit of the comprehensive total Fenix warranty on the entire light, electronics included.
    Last edited by tom-; 02-14-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Best light on the planet? ThatÖÖis a BOLD statement sir.

I like Fenix just fine but best on the entire planet? I'd go out on a limb and say there is a lot of great cop lights being made these days.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-15-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    John 3:16

My dad has a tk16 and itís pretty solid.

Has a nice feels to it

Nice beam and several modes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ..nothing changes nothing...

bykfixer; bold and accurate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUIogh3cteY

I invite all to read the specs on this pocketable gem and if you think there is a better choice please post-yes this will involve posting other brands but it really is the only way to demonstrate the superiority of Fenix products for law enforcement use in particular and for first responders (fire fighters/ambulance-emt's) in general; of course what is perfect for pro's is way perfect for civilians.

Whatís perfect for police is perfect for me? Thatís a very bold and terribly worded statement as well. Why do I have any use whatsoever for a tactical light. Please enlighten me. : ) on the other hand, I do love fenix lights! I love the E01 and I love the TK16 I had. I also quite enjoy my fenix e16r. Best on the planet?? Thatís always up for debate.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Whatís perfect for police is perfect for me?
    Yes

While the TK35UE 3200 does have a dedicated 'tactical' mode; 2000 lumens and a desirable highly disorienting strobe also at 3200 lumens this light does lack what I would see as an design feature that every true tactical flashlight should have and that is a strike bezel.

Here are the distinct output selections that the light provides:

3200 lumens l hr 30 min*

1000 3 hrs 40

350 10 50

100 38 40

20 152

strobe 3200 ?

sos 100 ?

Tactical setting

2000 2 hrs beam reach 764'

strobe 3200

8 levels of output total- don't think 'tactical' think practical - there is no other light with the attributes of the 35UE 3200, none/nada/zip it truly is the finest light on the planet for 'general' law enforcement use and the best choice for civilian use of any type.

* published data

The 8 count of levels does include the strobe listed twice which was done as the 'tactical' setting provides rapid selection of both the 2000 lumen output and the strobe - think seven levels if you wish-still unequaled by any other maker.

Strobe modes are a waste of a mode. I still donít see anything that says this is the best light for me.

Personally, my preference is for single mode flashlights, or "high/low" dual output only.

Although I do have many flashlights with quite a diverse range of user interfaces, I like a simple UI and fewer modes are best for me.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Default Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Personally, my preference is for single mode flashlights, or "high/low" dual output only.

Although I do have many flashlights with quite a diverse range of user interfaces, I like a simple UI and fewer modes are best for me.
    Iím really wanting to be sold on why this is the best flashlight for everyone with no prior knowledge of how I use my lights. So far I am underwhelmed. : (

Is there a way to lock out the strobe? I donít want to derail this thread but bold claims and truths could really be pointing me into purchasing a new light. Iíve never owned a bad fenix.
    Last edited by Bigburly912; 02-17-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Flashaholic

I had a Fenix TK35 on order a few years ago, then ran across this thread

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...al-design-flaw

Which brought into question the reliability of the latest edition of the TK35.

I'm not an LEO, but if I was, I would probably avoid a light that (a) has a bunch of different lighting modes to cycle through including silly strobe and sos modes (b) too short to allow it to be tucked under an arm (c) too fat in diameter to be comfortably worn on a belt (d) too small and light to be used an a effective improvised impact device

Last edited by DayofReckoning; 02-18-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Bigburly912, you hunt, you fish and you have an interest in flashlights correct ?

With regard to a strobe feature:

http://www.policemag.com/340344/how-...ing-flashlight

http://www.flightsafety.org/hf/hf_mar-apr04.pdf

http://www.iflyamerica.org/flicker-vertigo.asp

From personal experience the strobe effect chased all the critters from our attic (and made me very sick very very quickly when I turned the lights on before I was near the exit) and made a very angry raccoon stop an aggressive approach while walking in a campground one night, were we lucky ??

As for two level output flashlights; generally the outputs are max to very low or max to mid range, usually always will very low run times-if this serves your needs than great, for us its silly and puts the light firmly out of consideration for a good general use model.

My comments still stand with regard to Fenix in general and regarding the TK 35UE 3200 in particular. The 35 really is the finest law enforcement flashlight on the planet and it absolutely is the best light for civilian use currently available. Of course never buy anything until you have done your own research.

How could I have neglected to post this, if you have a ceiling fan with light and maybe some polished brass on the paddles-give it a good stare do you clearly see the rotation appear to reverse?
    Last edited by tom-; 02-18-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Dayof Reckoning, the member in the UK did have issues with the UK purchased light my experience with the TK35 3200 from Fenixlighting has been 1000% positive, an amazing flashlight and it arrived in absolutely pristine condition quite unlike the sole Amazon light I purchased, I thought that Amazon sold and shipped-it turned out to be a second party, arrived in horrible condition and was doa-I had to have been at least the third person to buy and get and open that flashlight.

Buy safe, only buy from Fenixlighting- factory new and factory perfect every time.

From personal experience the strobe effect chased all the critters from our attic (and made me very sick very very quickly when I turned the lights on before I was near the exit) and made a very angry raccoon stop an aggressive approach while walking in a campground one night, were we lucky ??
    I can tell you with hundreds of experiences (literally) that yes you are lucky. I have never seen a strobe effect a domestic dog, a raccoon, a bear (4 times now with a tn36utvn), deer, coyote. YMMV. I don't want to be convinced I need a strobe, I don't. Im loving the run times though and cant find if the strobe can be bypassed or locked out like in a programmable p60 module or hds. There is no click pattern to get the strobe correct? it is just one of the built in modes? Thanks again.

I own a lot of Fenix lights and they are all top quality, and are a great value for the dollar, in my opinion, of course! I can only go by my own experience with them. Are they the best? The best, to me, means are they the most reliable. Unless flashlight manufactures publish mean time between failure rates, there is no way to really prove which light is "better" than the other!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast