ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

Default Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

I have a mini mag light and it lights stuff up. I see this Fenix brand all over the place and wonder what the big deal is?

Default Re: Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

There bright.

Yes. They are good. Yes. They give more light than an Maglite. Yes, IMO, you should buy one

Keep asking that question and keep looking around this place. You'll not only find out you'll end up spending some coin.....trust me. Fenix is a very good light but there are tons of quality lights available so look around and do your research, think about how you will use the light, what your willing and able to spend, and then.......well, you'll see. You'll end up starting a collection.

Flashaholic

I feel they are a very good flashlight and a great price point [just compare price to somthing like "Olight", also a very good product I think]. The lumens for dollars makes them very attractive indeed. Also, for a Chinese made light, the build quality seems to be very sound. I have several and not one complaint to offer. I don't think you can go wrong with one of them. Just compare the lumins something like the TK35 or TK21 U2 put out, and these are ANSI ratings, to some others. And then look at the price. Very reasonable.
    My buddy who got me into this hobby [curse him!] has Maglites. Ask him now and he will say "Mag WHO??' Really.
    Fenix TK35/TK21 U2/PD32/LD12/E01/ Romisen RC-T602/ Klarus XT2C/ EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky, Thrunite TN31. , Olight s10, Eagletac D25LC2 factory mod XP-G2 with 2amp driver. Eagletac D25C Ti XM-L U2, D25C ti XP-G2, GX25A3.

Quote Originally Posted by radiotecha1234 View Post
    I have a mini mag light and it lights stuff up. I see this Fenix brand all over the place and wonder what the big deal is?
    Yes they are good.

Radiotecha1234, let me start by saying, One of the best things you could do for yourself (besides reading all the great advice you'll get here!), is to figure out exactly what you want a flashlight for. There's just tons of good lights out there right now, and more new manufacturers getting into the game every day. Competition! Yea, that's a good thing in this hobby. If it's not a hobby for you yet, chances are it soon will be! Once you know your needs, and your budget, get to know this site well, and learn to use the search function up the page and to your left there, under the CPF banner. Keep the "CPF only" box checked, and start looking. Notice there are several "sub" forums, dedicated to specific things like batteries and chargers, incans, and more specifically for you, "flashlight reviews". There's probably more info on this site than you'll ever need, but it's invaluable when your looking for your first "higher end" light. As the others who answered here do, I have several Fenix lights, and they're all great value for your dollar. Are there even better lights out there? You betcha! But you gotta start somewhere and Fenix lights are as good a place as any. Lots of nice models. Good luck in your search! Hang on to your wallet! lol
    Jeff

Fenix flashlights are good. I have quite a few of them.

But as others said, do your research as you'll find other good brands out there that may work better for your needs. I myself am finding that certain Fenix lights that I bought, are now actually getting replaced by some other lights that I'm now picking up because they're just working out better for my needs.

Whiz down to the nearest DIY and buy a light off the shelf for a few $.I have spent loads on Fenix and other makes and at the end of the day you get light out of a tube.

OP
    Ummm nope not really lol.
    Just my opinion, like my asshole, I got one too.

Enlightened

Fenix makes good lights from China. $52.00
    Shadow Pro see comment above. $62.00
    SolarForce L- 2 - P Great light. $42.00
    Shop the e-bay sellers Hong Kong.
    "The Flogging Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!"

I stayed away from lights like Fenix (Chinese made) until about 6 months ago...bought only USA made flashlights like Surefire (overpriced but good), Streamlight, etc. MAN WAS I MISSING OUT! Better lumen output, better prices and the quality from what I have purchased has been outstanding (Sunwayman, Jetbean, Fenix, 4Sevens). This darn forum has cost me Sooooooo much money but I love coming to read what's new and what everyone is buying! Flashlights are a serious addiction, once you start it's hard to stop. So stop reading and start buying radiotecha1234 so I can see what you buy to get ideas for myself!

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mrlysle View Post
    Radiotecha1234, let me start by saying, One of the best things you could do for yourself (besides reading all the great advice you'll get here!), is to figure out exactly what you want a flashlight for. There's just tons of good lights out there right now, and more new manufacturers getting into the game every day.

Competition! Yea, that's a good thing in this hobby. If it's not a hobby for you yet, chances are it soon will be! Once you know your needs, and your budget, get to know this site well, and learn to use the search function up the page and to your left there, under the CPF banner. Keep the "CPF only" box checked, and start looking.

Notice there are several "sub" forums, dedicated to specific things like batteries and chargers, incans, and more specifically for you, "flashlight reviews".

There's probably more info on this site than you'll ever need, but it's invaluable when your looking for your first "higher end" light. As the others who answered here do, I have several Fenix lights, and they're all great value for your dollar. Are there even better lights out there? You betcha! But you gotta start somewhere and Fenix lights are as good a place as any. Lots of nice models. Good luck in your search! Hang on to your wallet! lol
    Read this post carefully, it has a LOT of what you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by radiotecha1234 View Post
    Join Date Mar 2007 Posts 1
    5 years lurking and you have to ask ?
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Enlightened

Like mentioned above...you have everything you need to make a good decision for a light on this forum, but like others have mentioned, once you take the "red pill" and go down this rabbit hole there is no turning back.

haha! I'm loving your posts guys! I can SO relate!

I think they are. I have quite a few from several companies (Fenix, Surefire, Streamlight, Olight, Dorcy, Maglite) and I think Fenix are the best bang for the buck. They make good quality lights at a reasonable price, the TK15 being my favorite for now.

Flashaholic

i am very new to the flashlight hobby and from what i have seen they seem like good quality flashlights with a pretty good price tag too. My friend was doing a show and tell with his TK45 and TK70 and i was very impressed. He gave me a LD10 as gift and i love it. now i have a TK41 coming my way. for 130 dollars you get 800 lumens with low modes and good run times. That is what sold me as well. The quality of the build feels good.

If you notice, there are only few posts of users having issues with Fenix flashlights. Thinking back, the biggest was just about the "tint lottery" when the TK35 was new.

Yup, tint lottery.. it's the only real downside people have had.

I know people have their favorite companies, and they love to brush Fenix aside every chance they get,
    but Fenix has consistently made quality lights for long time. They have to be a top contender for best
    flashlight company. In my opinion they have been one step behind Surefire for quality for like.. 4 years?

There are other companies out there that make better quality lights, but they aren't as accessible as Fenix is.
    Hell, they have even started to sell 'em at walmart.

I've carried a LD20 Q5 in my pocket when I go on patrol, 30 miles of walking a week, 52 weeks a year,
    for three years. That's 4680 miles, and the light still works as well today as it did the first time I fired it up.

...and I have brighter lights too, but none seem to be able to replace it.

You know, its a good thing that our lights are going mainsteam. For one, the prices will get more competitive and of course the quality has to remain good or else fail in the mass market.

But I hope they never stop making specialty lights for us flashaholics, coz we'll always be a "step ahead" of the mass market.

radiotecha1234

Fenix came up with the first 1AA 1 watt flashlight way back in '05. They have a lot of time to get the bugs out. Most of the 1AA 1 watt/3 watt lights sold on fleabay/DX/KD are copies of their L1P. Down to the unnecessary flats in the middle.
    Fenix also listened to their original US dealer so their lights tend to be suited to North American usage. A guy that goes by the avatar 4sevens.

Many of the other companies are relatively new. We do not know how well they will stand up over time. Or if they have a good design in the first place. A reviewer would test a light for a week then go to another light the next. They don't keep track of reliability the way Consumer's Union or Consumer's Reports keep track of car repairs over a 5 year period.

An example of why us grumpy old men do not stray from Surefire or Fenix is the story of Jetbeam.
    Jetbeam is now a respected company but it was not always that way. Fenix had a twisty called the Civictor V1. It is cheaper than the L1P (no click switch, got all the LEDs that was rejected by the L1P QC). Jetbeam came up with a Civictor clone but had a Cree XRE (80 lumens) instead of a Luxeon (30 lumens). It also had 3 levels instead of the 1 of the Civictor. CPF went Ga-Ga over the Jetbeam CLE. Then the reports of problems came. As almost all the initial purchases came from 2 group buys we knew roughly how many were in the hands of members. Someone added up all the problems and came up with a failure rate of 40%!!!
    Jetbeam promised to do better but their follow up model was no better. Finally desperate to stay in the US market Jetbeam announced they had started a QC department (they don't have one before???) and a 3rd party QC company will also retest all products before they will be shipped. With the double QC Jetbeam finally got their QC problems under control. Now they are one of the respected companies.
    But us old guard remember the bad times and won't go near Jetbeam with a 10 foot pole.

Not all companies stay consistent. One of the better L1P clones was MTE. Much recommended for people who can not afford a real L1P. A year after they became favourites a few reports surfaced that the latest batch was not working properly. Uh-oh. MTE tried to set up North American distribution a few years later but no one will bite.

The real old guard stayed with their Surefires. Less old guard stayed with Fenix or followed 4sevens. We have more lights than we need already. Don't need a Fenix XML and a 4sevens XML and an Olight XML and a Sunwayled XML and a Jetbeam XML and an Eagletac XML and ... and ... Anyways is an XML that much brighter than a P7 - brighter but not by that much. (My best thrower is only 50 lumens but it has a 4 inch reflector.)

-----

BTW Mag has just released the MiniMag Pro and Pro+. 226 and 245 lumens compared to the 16-20 lumens of the old incan MiniMag. $26-$29.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...LED-Flashlight
    By comparison a Fenix E21 is 150 lumens for $38.
    So don't give up on the MiniMag especially if you are used to using one.

Jetbeam is indeed catching up, when they got bigger, the had a 500 employee factory assembly line. Now due to the big north american demand for their lights, they opened up another factory with as many employees. How's that for expansion?

When asked which flashlight was selling like hotcakes, they said it was the TM11. Cool factoid, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Whiz down to the nearest DIY and buy a light off the shelf for a few $.I have spent loads on Fenix and other makes and at the end of the day you get light out of a tube.
    Except that in the above example, it's blue-tinted dim light out of a poor quality tube that breaks easily, compared to an attractive tube with a warranty and great quality light.

Why buy quality meat and grill up a burger at home, when you could go down to McDonalds and get a piece of meat between two buns?

Or better yet, if you check the dumpster behind McDonalds, you can get the same burger for FREE!
    Last edited by somnambulated; 04-03-2012 at 12:15 AM.

I've EDC'd a Fenix L1D CE since 2007, and it's been a workhorse. The biggest problem with this light is that it can be a bit slippery when I have either very wet or very dry hands. AFAIK, this was corrected with the LD10.

I started searching for a good LED light when I realized they'd reached the point that a 1xAA LED could realistically replace my beat-up 2xCR123 Streamlight Scorpion (which had replaced my MiniMag as an EDC years before.) The Fenix is the one I settled on, and I've never been disappointed with that decision. There are a lot of really good options today, some of which are listed in the posts above.

As for your MiniMag, I'm assuming you're using a standard incandescent AA MiniMag? If so, the first thing you might want to try is to put a TerraLux TLE-5EX drop-in in it and prepare to be amazed. I've put LED drop-ins in all my MiniMags, and keep them around the house and in vehicles. The upgrade has kept them useful, else I would probably have stuck them away in a box. The Fenix is really the light I grab first, though. It's that versatile.
    Last edited by WDG; 04-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Flashaholic

Nice to see so many Fenix supporters. Now I know I jumped into this with a good brand of product.
    Fenix TK35/TK21 U2/PD32/LD12/E01/ Romisen RC-T602/ Klarus XT2C/ EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky, Thrunite TN31. , Olight s10, Eagletac D25LC2 factory mod XP-G2 with 2amp driver. Eagletac D25C Ti XM-L U2, D25C ti XP-G2, GX25A3.

Flashaholic

Fenix do make very good lights, I bought one as a present for someone once and the quality was quite good. Although as someone said, there's many other brands to consider now that are just as good. However in my opinion Fenix make some of the ugliest lights I've ever seen. When it comes to designing the appearance, it's like they couldn't be bothered.

I do like a torch to look good and know that the manufacturer has put effort into designing the aesthetics. I know it doesn't have to be good looking to be a good torch, but just my personal preference. So, to that end I can't see myself owning a Fenix until they start designing better looking ones.

Strange loaded title.

Did anyone say they were "that good" ?
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

I've got a Fenix EO1 in my pocket as I type this, been there for around four years now, still on the same lithium battery I put in it then. I never had a Solitare last more than a month! Every time I'd grab it the battery was dead or I had to tap it on the side to get it to make contact.
    I carried minimags for years. LOVED them, kept a 2AAA in my pocket when I worked as a mechanic. But I always had four spare bulbs in my tool box next to a box of batteries. But I got tired of tapping them on the workbench to get them to work, bulbs burning out all the time and the flickering when they did work. I've tried all the drop-ins for them, they helped some but most were a pretty nasty tint with rings in the beam etc. they are also rather pricey!
    I also have an E21 in my bug out bag, that's how good I think their quality is! I'm going to change out the emmiter in a few days, not because there is anything wrong with it, but I wanted a warm version and couldn't find one, so I'm going to make my own! I've become an LED snob, I've gotten spoiled with high CRI lights.
    The first "real" light I bought was a Surefire L1, I wasn't sure about spending that much money on it, but reading everyone on here rave about it I bit the bullet. I was hooked after that! Like others have said, once you go down the rabbit hole you don't come back! Once you buy a "real" flashlight, Surefire, Streamlight, Fenix, etc., you'll wonder why you waited so long using those mags!
    My Mags aren't very impressive anymore!

Flashaholic

Funny because I like the Fenix look but not some of the others out there. All in ones own taste I guess.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast