Homemade High Quality Glass Lens

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
(M)icroscope (S)lide (G)lass Lens. Anyone think of this? Over ten years ago,in Jr.High, I had to buy a box of microscope slides for science class. Box today is still full. From each slide I can make two lenses for most pocket sized flashlights.
Got em' in my Super LGI, Aitec collimator light, and a Mini-Mag so far. Very high quality lens! If you think about it, microscope slides have to be as optically pure as they can be for the obvious reasons.
I guess a downside is they are more fragile than other glass used for lenses. Mine are insulated w/ o-rings, none broken yet. Be sure to sand a good smooth edge after cutting em' out and you got yourself a inexpensive MSG lens. Chips on the edge lead to cracking.
Any comments or questions?

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Cool idea! How did you cut them, and how are you sanding them? I have access to tons of slides...

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have 0 idea on how to cut glass that round. I've use glass cutters to make a groove and snap them off straight but not round.. sand them? how?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The traditional way to do this is with a tube and abrasive paste.

Slow, but sure.

Doug Owen

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Chief_Wiggum said:
Cool idea! How did you cut them, and how are you sanding them?

[/ QUOTE ]

My method is: I first cover both sides completely with tape in case accidental breakage. I use foil tape found at home depot. I make out the circle size I want on the tape, then I cut all the excess glass close to the circle size w/ my dremel and a diamond cutting wheel. Then I simply just grind down to size w/ a diamond grinding stone.

Harbor Freight is where you can get these diamond bits and the foil tape the cheapest.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=31501
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36252
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44498
(You don't need all that is pictured in 2nd link. This is just what I got when on sale for $12.99)

Make sure you work at the slowest speed setting on your dremel to avoid chipping and try to stay away from excessive vibration! Use only diamond bits when cutting/shaping glass! Once you cut out your lens, sand down all sharp/chipped edges with 600grit sand paper and your done. Next to nothing MSG Lens./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif Start selling em' to your friends./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
darkzero,

I am in awe! I ground a saphire watch crystal down in a lathe with a Dremel and diamond wheel- chipped hell out of it! (Didn't help that the bearings were shot in the Dremel!) Awsome job!

Larry

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
darkzero,

I am in awe! I ground a saphire watch crystal down in a lathe with a Dremel and diamond wheel- chipped hell out of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying using a diamond grinding bit when turning down the glass. I use a diamond cutting wheel to cut the basic shape first out of the slide. Make straight cuts angling to get close to the circle size then grind the excess with a bit.

It also helps having both grinding points/edges rotating in the same direction they're turning. A slow speed and very light pressure is also the key. I prefer turning the glass freehand if symmetrical perfection is not a necessity.

Saphire crystal is very hard and is probably very easy to chip if not cafeful, am I correct?