Anyone gut fresh laptop batteries for the 18670s?

Jim3222

Newly Enlightened
* 18650s

I was just browsing amazon and I see I can get decent 6 celled laptop batteries for under 20 and a 9 cell for about 25. Some of the sellers seem to be pretty reputable. Anyone know what brand dell uses for its battery packs? This seems like a decent source of 2200 mAh batteries, I would definitely trust something dell put out over something a ______fire company did, and this is at just over $2 a battery.

CKOD

Enlightened
Yep, Ive pulled down toshia 6 cell netbook battery packs for the 2900mAh 18650s for making my own packs. Came out to ~ $12/cell in the end.
However, I really doubt youre getting legit packs (that arent 8 years old) for $20 and $25

Many laptop battery sites use weasel words like "Or equivalent" etc, to sell their generic packs. Ive seen them try and pass off a 4400mAh pack as "equivalent or better than" a 4800mAh OEM spec pack.

No free lunch, caveat emptor etc...

tandem

Enlightened
I was just browsing amazon and I see I can get decent 6 celled laptop batteries for under 20 and a 9 cell for about 25.

You do realize the cells within the pack won't have an internal protection circuit. They are designed to operate as a battery of cells within the laptop power pack; the laptop power pack has a protection circuit, not the cells.

In other words, you are getting a bunch of bare 18650 cells, not a cheap equivalent of an AW or Redilast fully protected Li-ion Panasonic cell. Ironically the HouseFire / ChaosFire / PantsOnFire brand cells sold on eBay may have a working protection circuit while harvested laptop cells will not.

OCD

Enlightened
You do realize the cells within the pack won't have an internal protection circuit. They are designed to operate as a battery of cells within the laptop power pack; the laptop power pack has a protection circuit, not the cells.

In other words, you are getting a bunch of bare 18650 cells, not a cheap equivalent of an AW or Redilast fully protected Li-ion Panasonic cell. Ironically the HouseFire / ChaosFire / PantsOnFire brand cells sold on eBay may have a working protection circuit while harvested laptop cells will not.

When used in single-cell lights, a protection circuit isn't that big of a deal.....IF you don't over discharge too far or too often.

Norm

Retired Administrator
When used in single-cell lights, a protection circuit isn't that big of a deal.....IF you don't over discharge too far or too often.
Or as long as you don't accidentally short the cells or have a charger fail etc., personally I'd rather not take the risk, there are many unforeseen circumstances where the protection circuits going to save you from a battery mishap.

Norm

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to add protection circuits to the individual cells, you can find ones that are round and just fit on the end of the cell. You will want to do some research on how to attach the pcb to the cell safely.

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
Answered my questions without needing to ask it, I am skipping the laptop harvest this round.