M2 goes swimming

bwcaw

Enlightened
Yesterday I took my SFM2 in the the pool. I took it down to the bottom of the pool (8 feet) and had no leakage. I even used the twist-on switch under water with no leakage at all. My last M2 leaked in only about 6 in. of water.

nihraguk

Enlightened
bwcaw: i wish mine could do that...it should be able to do so soon though
smile.gif
just curious, but what's the serial number of your old and new M2?

Deviant

Enlightened
nihraguk,

I was at shears the other day and was having a chat with a fellow customer. He has a M2 too.

I was discussing with him the water proofness of the M2. According him with a suitable tool u can take out the plastics locker and lens add a suitable O-ring and fix it back. as far i know he says that his M2 is perfectly waterproof. when using the tool to take the lens out be sure not to slip cos it will cause scratches

Deviant

Enlightened
nihraguk,

anything that will give u a good grip on at least 2 opposite notch
icon15.gif
I'm having the jitters, still looking for the perfect tool to open up my C3 bezel. For me, i have prepared the bezel by placing 2 layers of masking tape on the pyrex lens

from what I understand the liquid is not glue but some Loc-it fluid

nihraguk

Enlightened
(o_O): thanks; what kinda tool did the guy you talked to use? anyway if the replacement M2 bezel i get works fine then my problem would be solved
smile.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
seriously i have no idea which tool he used
smile.gif

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for u
wink.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened
wow! I need these good news to rebuild my confidence in the waterproofness of the M2 ever
since nihraguk ruined it.
wink.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
(o_O): thanks
smile.gif
i'm crossing my toes and fingers for myself too. i'll be so glad when i can finally use my M2 anywhere in all sorts of weather with full confidence.

littleninjai: sorry about that
wink.gif
didn't mean to get you worried...if you're unsure about your M2 or M3, just do the sink test (be sure to remove all the innards before doing that). if it doesn't leak after a few hours, chances are there's nothing wrong with the seals.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
littleninjai: sorry about that didn't mean to get you worried...if you're unsure about your M2 or M3, just do the sink test (be sure to remove all the innards before doing that). if it doesn't leak after a few hours, chances are there's nothing wrong with the seals.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
smile.gif

Well, I'll seriously consider that.
smile.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last spring I lost a 3/4" socket while getting a 5K pound(lift cap) boat hoist ready for the water, I went to the truck and got my M2 and went swimming around. The M2 was used in both constant on and momentary modes in about 5' of dirty, nasty water with no signs of moisture. Never did find that stupid socket.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Originally posted by nihraguk:
bwcaw: i wish mine could do that...it should be able to do so soon though
smile.gif
just curious, but what's the serial number of your old and new M2?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Old one(sent to PK for replacement):A12278
New one:A13061

I had my doubts about it's waterproofness but I think eight feet underwater is good enough for me.
Any deeper, and my ears hurt.
grin.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
bwcaw: that's odd...that means mine is newer than both your M2s. anyway my bezel should be arriving some time end of next week so once i'll get it i'll test it again and post my results here
smile.gif

thanks bart....i think i don't have the balls to disassemble the bezel
smile.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Originally posted by nihraguk:
bwcaw: that's odd...that means mine is newer than both your M2s. anyway my bezel should be arriving some time end of next week so once i'll get it i'll test it again and post my results here
smile.gif

thanks bart....i think i don't have the balls to disassemble the bezel
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, please let us know what happens.
By the way, When I had the leaky M2 I called customer service and got this guy who went on for about 15 min. telling me how much it would cost him to replace my leaky M2 he said that it is not supposed to be waterproof. I recieved an E-mail from PK the next day, and he said to send it directly to him. No hassle, just results. I got a new light from UPS the next week, and he sent it next day air! PK backs up his products!
grin.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
Seem that getting a non-leaky M2 bezel is still a game of chance and probability.

Of course due credit must be given to PK for standing by the stuff he design