First LED flashlight, HP promo

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
I've got two or three of the promotional LED flashlights HP gave away when they made the first generation of semi bright red LEDs, and I still use them from time to time for just enough light to move around in the dark, but no loss of night vision or disturbing others. Plastic cases the size of two fingers side by side, 2xAA a resistor and a LED. They need some cleaning from time to time, rebending a wire etc, but all of them still work fine.

Just wondering if anybody else has one. Ah, found an old thread with a picture. ( I don't think I can post any picts yet).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...1980%92s-Hewlett-Packard-led-%91flashlight%92

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not that one. But I do have a very similar one given away by General Motors about ten years back, with a "Buckle-Up" logo on it. It is the same clamshell, side-by-side construction, but in AAA size, and powered an incan threaded base focusing bulb, and the slide switch is on the side, rather than the top.

I gutted the light bulb, and soldered in a Nichia DS LED, and potted it with hot melt glue. With it's relatively low forward voltage, this LED is quite bright when directly driven by two alkalines, and lasts a looooong time. Actually a very pleasing format for a light, very comforatable if you need to hold it in your mouth to free your hands. Reminds me of a more compact, practical version of my poor (destroyed by batteries) Mallory rocker switch 2xAA light. Wish I had bought more than one of those when they were available.