Care of "twisty" head

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
Most of my LED flashlights feature a switch in the head that is activated by tightening and loosening (twisting). Three of my lights are becoming a bit flaky. Is there anything I can do to maintain this mechanism?

I am getting some Deoxit Gold and I plan to apply a small amount to battery contacts. The Deoxit will also wet flashlight contacts of course.

Beyond that, I don't know if there is anything I can do safely.

If I disassemble/reassemble, I might lose the precise alignment of LED to reflector.

A blast of compressed air?

Is there a spray product that is safe to use? I would think that any such spray would have to evaporate cleanly, otherwise the LED and front lens could get visibly slimed.

Anything else I could try?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Clean and lube should be the first step; most of the time when a twisty becomes iffy, it's just from oxides ("magic black dust") building up at the joint/battery tube contact. You'll find the DeoxIt will probably not be necessary after a good cleaning.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use an ordinary pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Alcohol works well too.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean first: battery contacts, threads and tube end. Alcohol and swab work great. Gold Deoxit is more of a "contact lubricant" and might not do much if all you do is put some on the battery contacts, but can also help clean contacts and tube end (although the red one works best for cleaning IMO).