Malkoff P7 Prototype, and thoughts on it

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished putting together a Malkoff MD2 with an ooooold Malkoff M60-P7 prototype. This thing is known to run hot, and the MD2 head has surprisingly little metal-to-metal heat sinking surface; the VME head has a ton by comparison, since it's so form fitting. The MD2 head is just a hollow cylinder.

I propose a device, tentatively named the "MD2sink", a cylindrical brass, copper, or aluminum device designed to fit tightly around a Malkoff module with just enough gap to fill with heat-sink thermal grease; it gives the M60 a profile similar to a cylinder with turned-down shoulders designed to fit the mating surfaces of an MD2 head.

Other thoughts are: The old P7 prototypes have a larger aperture than the M61 and M91 reflectors, and need both a bigger glass window, and a bigger hole in the business end of the light. I'm sure I'm losing some spill and narrowing my hot spot a bit, too - it seems like less of a gradual transition from hot spot to spill, so I suspect I'm losing the edges of it.

My word, this thing's bright. Monster of a room-sweeper.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also discovered the (second-generation) Nite-Ize IQ switch works splendidly on the first-generation MD2 host with a 18650. I don't know what the voltage limit is on it, but this dropin won't go past 3.7 volts nominal, so it's a bit of a moot point.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I propose a device, tentatively named the "MD2sink", a cylindrical brass, copper, or aluminum device designed to fit tightly around a Malkoff module with just enough gap to fill with heat-sink thermal grease; it gives the M60 a profile similar to a cylinder with turned-down shoulders designed to fit the mating surfaces of an MD2 head.
I use this "md2sink" in my md-4 with a torchlab triple xp-g. Made out of alu, and bolted/glued it on a hi/lo ring. (had to cut room for the resistor.) The triple xp-g has the leds mounted in the front of the p60module where there is no contact with the head. Had to do something. Worked out great. Also had to widen the apenture on the md-2 head. The small hole was blocking the outer egdes of the 3 optics.
With normal malkoff modules, the led are mounted in the bottom. The retaining ring will soak up the heat and send it directly to the chunky tube.

Last edited:

Latest posts