Terralux MiniStar31M-EX. Maglite 3D cell drop-in

rambo180

Enlightened
Hi guys, My extensive research has hit a bump.

I have an old 3D maglite and want a bright drop-in. The terralux 31M-EX is for 4-6D cells (because it needs a higer voltage i assume). I want to use it with my 3D using 3x3.7vlithium D cells = 11.1v
Obviously this will exceed the 9v from a 6D cell. Who thinks I will have the brightest 3D drop-in EVER or who thinks I will have a "situation"?

Other questions please:
Do we think this beats the light output of the legendary Malkoff 3-6D drop-in?
I could always use 2x3.7v and then put a spacer in to fill in the space in the barrel.. but then with only 2 batteries will they die in 5 minutes? Can someone please tell me how a alk.D compares to a Li D?

advice and suggestions?

cheers and thankyou
anthony

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Terralux MiniStar triple module will have more OTF lumens but the Malkoff will be more durable and have better throw thanks to a larger single reflector.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Another battery option would be to use a Mag Charger battery. It is 5 x1/2 D cells and it is a direct fit in a 3D Mag. This puts you right where you want to be for either drop-in (very safe chemistry and voltage). If it's a newer Mag (no spring on the switch base for the battery contact) you will need to put a small blob of solder or use a rare earth magnet on the positive nipple of the battery.

rambo180

Enlightened
Another battery option would be to use a Mag Charger battery. It is 5 x1/2 D cells and it is a direct fit in a 3D Mag. This puts you right where you want to be for either drop-in (very safe chemistry and voltage). If it's a newer Mag (no spring on the switch base for the battery contact) you will need to put a small blob of solder or use a rare earth magnet on the positive nipple of the battery.

like this:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/4masuchkitem.html

ahah! very good idea. costs too much on ebay to buy the charger/battery. i will have a good think about it. $120 + postage to australia though. thinking about leaving the old 3D for now and buying a bright flood like the DRY 3 XML. only time will tell.

keep the suggestions coming! thankyou tjhabak.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
3x li ion will be fine, it can take up to 14v,

thepit56

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is two years old but I might go buy a 3d incan mag and some 18650's and pvc to do this with this bulb. Any reason why 2 years later this isn't a good mod?

one nice thing is that the bulb is only $60 free shipping now.

It'll be fun because I have a 3d LED mag and if I have two that look the same I can surprise friends with how bright one of the two "identical" lights is.