Where has the wonder gone?

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
When I first found high-end flashlights I was like a child, wonder in my star-specked eyes as I gazed hungrily at the $200 Surefires. Then, the G2X Pro came to the local sporting goods shop, I actually owned a Surefire! $65 for 200 lumens! And boy, was it ever bright! About a year later, my flashlight fund was full again, so I got an ArmyTek Predator. Not hugely brighter than the G2X, but that light sure went a long ways! But, the ArmyTek didn't have that first-flashlight factor of the G2X. Now, I've added an E2E to my collection. Every time I visit the forums I look for something to get excited about, and every time I am dissapointed. I have no interest in new lights that are coming out. I often wish I got into the hobby when Surefire was in it's heyday, and the A2 was the best pocketlight in the world. As it is, I probably won't get anything for a long time.:(

Draven451

Enlightened
If you like Surefire maybe you can consider getting a bored surefire host and drop-in's. The options seem endless and you can enjoy your surefire lights with multi-modes, different tints, and brighter!

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Human nature. When we get what we (thought) we wanted it is often vain. So we want something else.
Jerry

dss_777

Enlightened
For me, the wonder inevitably wears off when the main motivation for getting the lights is the "gee whiz!" factor. However, that sense of amazement gets renewed every time it fulfills that special purpose, doing something that nothing else can do as well. I guess at that point the feeling is more a sense of satisfaction than "wonder" any more...

Ultimately, it's a tool, not a toy.

YMMV

cccpull

Enlightened
You probably need to actually do something with your lights. I don't get a light just to buy an x lumen, or x brand light and shine it at a wall (unless that's your thing). I get a light with actual use in mind.
Go camping, walking on trails, bike riding at night, hunting, caving, irritate your neighbors(just kidding:D).
The bottom line is, add an activity to use your lights, don't just have them for emergencies.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an NVG Photon Freedom, replace the two 2016 batteries with a single 2032 cell and spend some hours exploring the limits of your dark adapted vision... Your lights will (painfully) 'wow' you once again.

nbp

Flashaholic
Save up and get something that makes you smile with satisfaction every time you use it, like a McGizmo does for me. If you find the lights that are perfect for you, you don't have to keep buying more. You can use the ones you've got and be happy with them. I have found the couple makers that suit me best, and I don't do too much shopping anymore, as I'm so pleased with what I have already.

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
I do use my lights, on a daily basis. I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I'm also depressed by the 2012 Surefire catolog, they are leaving their simple roots, but I love a simple flashlight. Maybe my problem is that my lights are purely tools, perhaps I should go for a night walk just to use my flashlights. I never just have fun with my lights anymore, so I'll have to change that. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: nbp, I think you've got it. The thing is, I already have my perfect light, the E2E. I just never use it just for the sake of using it. To scared about mounting battery costs.:)

Last edited:

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do use my lights, on a daily basis. I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I'm also depressed by the 2012 Surefire catolog, they are leaving their simple roots, but I love a simple flashlight. Maybe my problem is that my lights are purely tools, perhaps I should go for a night walk just to use my flashlights. I never just have fun with my lights anymore, so I'll have to change that. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: nbp, I think you've got it. The thing is, I already have my perfect light, the E2E. I just never use it just for the sake of using it. To scared about mounting battery costs.:)

I can relate to that. I have not used my E2e in years, and never much when it was new.
This is not meant to be disparaging, but I think that true flashaholics find reasons to use their lights. I notice that the threads of some of their lights wear out, and they carry lights just to have them on their persons. Flashlights are not tools, but ends in themselves. Flashlights are more like tools to me, but more interesting than the average person finds them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I once loved firearms and bought many more than I needed just to try them. I had more than I could use for big game or other hunting, but I liked to work up loads, etc for the fun and experience. Flashlights are much less expensive than gun "collecting." I probably have a couple of thousand dollars in quality leather handgun holsters, most of them over $100 each. So I am not being critical of anyone who loves to use and experiment with flashlights. In fact I recently have bought more than I will ever use, but have given most away. Seems if I like them then others should also.:)
But the new is already wearing off for me, and I have much less interest than a few weeks ago. It has kept me entertained and will for awhile.

The wisest man who ever lived, Solomon the King, tried everything he could think of, and in the end realized it was empty/vanity. When the new wear off boredom sets in until one finds something else new to play with or try. Since I have no desire for expensive, by my measure, lights I have about obtained what interested me. I am wondering about batteries, but think the cost and risk factors are going to dissuade me from wanting to use them.

Best,
Jerry

nbp

Flashaholic
I agree that buying things just for the sake of buying things and having things is silly and leaves a person empty. And I also agree that there is no sense in sticking with a hobby if it no longer brings enjoyment. We don't HAVE to be flashlight enthusiasts, we choose to because we like it.

But if the passion for flashlights is still there though maybe interest is waning, there is much a person can do to bring the fun back without senseless spending.

Many people turn to modding at this point in the hobby. Often it is not very expensive, doesn't add to a pile of already unused lights, provides opportunities to learn and it is fun. Even if your modding and electrical engineering expertise is limited, like mine, simple things like a new aftermarket pocket clip on your EDC, maybe a nifty lanyard or bezel ring, some tritium tubes or the like can add excitement and spice to using your lights. For me, just hunting around for better ways to carry or use a light or new battery options or simple mods can be enjoyable without it being so consuming.

Endless searching for the NEXT BIG THING is ultimately unsatisfying by definition. Searching for the PERFECT thing though, whether new/old/old with new parts/new with old parts/homemade/or otherwise...now that is a fun and satisfying endeavor indeed.

nbp

Flashaholic
NOREAT said:

As an example of my thoughts above, a fun project for you might be to find or build a light that has all the things you love about the E2E but allows for a rechargeable setup so you can actually use it. The research is half the fun. ;)

Z-Tab

Enlightened
An E2E with a LumensFactory EO-E2R bulb can run on 2xRCR123s and will put out double the lumens of the stock Surefire bulb with only a small loss in run time. You might get a little more "wow" out of your E2E that way, and without dropping much cash.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

It sounds like you were wowed by the initial jump in brightness, and then once a "Gee that's brighter" jump was made, you couldn't make another.

Its like drugs for some people...they need more and more to "get a fix".

:D

That SF was your gateway drug.

Of course, if the reason you just don't USE the lights is that SF forces you to use primaries....it could also be like camera buffs who stopped taking pics because of the costs of film/developing...the guilt or sacrifice to use primaries leads to feeling bad about USING the light.

The answer is of course to take up collecting watches or guns, or, get lights that take rechargeables, etc.

:D

If you like THAT light, then as mentioned, you can have it bored and add a drop in to run on an 18650 and be even brighter...and with the rechargeable light, you can USE it more than you could the primary sucker...and w/o the bad feelings that primaries induce.

:party:

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I am still very interested in flashlights, it's just that I'm not having much fun with my lights. Should be heading out for my first night walk in a long time soon!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Custom light....., then custom coated...., then preference for different emitter - so get latest LED in neutral (or hi CRI) installed with amperage bump, the custom clip, then custom holster, all the while using it in an industrial environment. Although I do keep a second light on me for when someone says, "pass me your light".

Actually at the point where I've made some friends on here and am starting to pass off some nice lights....

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
"I often wish I got into the hobby when Surefire was in it's heyday, and the A2 was the best pocketlight in the world."
If you thought that Surefire was in its "heyday" when the A2 was the best, you missed an ENTIRELY different scenario in the early 90s. At that time, after that tiny, fledgeling Orange County company transitioned to the "orange peel" reflector for use on its P60 60-lumen lamp assembly mated to the 2-CR123 battery tube, no flashlight of that size could hold a candle to that combination. It was truly revolutionary; nothing less than extraordinary. I still have my original 6P. You missed a true golden era.

Unlike many here, my flashlight purchases have been for specific applications and have likely not owned nearly many as them. That doesn't mean I have not been enamored by the many innovative iterations; just the opposite. My other interests have deflected what could have been tunnel vision towards flashlights so I have remained as fascinated by the flashlight products today as I was when I first hit the tailswitch on the 6P and saw that "flawless beam."

Today, my interest lies in the increasingly greater outputs or the phenomenal runtimes with the use of modern LED emitters; and the use of materials such as stainless steel, copper, brass, and titanium.

I look forward to the next "era."

awenta

Enlightened
Sounds like you need a bigger light. Time for a TK70, SR90, or Lambda. :devil:

Or you can always start modding.

yifu

Enlightened
Do yourself a favour and get a chinese made sealed HMI light for under 1000 dollars. I can link you to cheap 1600W HID Sky Roses if you want, they are at least 500 times brighter than your lights and should put a smile on your face. The reason you're dissapointed is because you've stuck to LED and there's no awe to be found in LED, only high wattage HIDs :)

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
0dBm: Thanks for the mental-picture, I sure wish I had gotten into the hobby back then.
To everyone: I don't think more lumens is the solution. I concentrate on my work whenever I use my flashlights, so they go unoticed. The wonder I had when I first started is probably gone forever, but I think that is what happens with most anything, with the notable exception of God and his creations.

BVH

Flashaholic
Sounds like you're ready to step into the world of real lighting instruments - HID's and short arcs. Visit the HID section and be renewed.