Found my favorite keychain 1xAAA light (Fenix vs. iTP vs. Peak)

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Found my favorite keychain 1xAAA light... so far.

I just received my Peak Eiger today, so I decided to take some pics of my current (and small) line up of lights that I have used, or would continue to use for EDC.

Lights_1.jpg

Fenix E05
- Shortest out of the bunch
- Good knurling and feel to it
- Good solid construction, feels like a quality light
- Not much light output compared to the others, but managable for some people in their environments
- The most blue looking light out of the bunch
- Can only run 1xAAA alkaline or NiMh/NiCd

iTP A3
- Next shortest out of the bunch
- "96 lumen Upgraded" version
- Good keyring location right in the middle of the end, good on a keychain
- Keyring hole it too small for most keyrings to connect onto
- Straight grooves makes the light feel a bit slippery in your hands
- Cap & threads feels looser compared to the others
- Really good & distinguishable light outputs with both AAA and 10440
- Nice size hot spot with lots of good spill
- Color is very white & neutral looking
- Running it with a 10440

Peak Eiger HC
- I was expecting it to be longer, but I like that it's shorter
- Nice solid lug on the end, fits any keyring size
- Good knurling and feel to it
- Metal and/or anodized finish on this light feels a bit cheap compared to the Fenix & iTP (flaked a little bit on my fingers)
- Threads/body feels very thin compared to the Fenix & iTP lights
- Very wide spill with no real hot spot, just very bright white light
- Color is more cool looking with more hint of blue/green (to my eyes), but still very white compared to E05
- Running it with a 10440

Fenix LD05 R2
- Longest one out of the bunch, feels too long on my keychain
- No knurling or grooves, feels very slippery
- Nice XP-E LED, provides intense hot spot with good spill
- With a 10440, MED and HIGH settings look no different to me on any surface or area
- Color is very white & neutral looking
- Running it with an Eneloop now

Lights_2.jpg

CONCLUSION:

The E05 is a great light, but it really can't hang the others. The LD01 is just awesome, even with the 10440, but it's actually too long for me to use on a keychain.... good for just slipping into my pocket by itself, but then I'm now finding myself using the V10R instead of the LD01. I was really looking forward to the Eiger, and I really wanted to like it, but I'm actually a bit dissapointed with it. I was expecting it to be some 'all & mighty' light compared to the A3 and the LD01, but in my opinion it came up short in a few places. One main thing was the quality of the light, as it felt more cheaply built compared to the Fenix and iTP lights. I do really like the 1-mode HIGH only setting, but this light is more of a flood than the others. Even with the 'medium' head, it's really floody compared to the other lights which all had a noticable hot spot. Also, I expected the light to be more white looking but it has a slight blue/green hue... still very white compared to the E05 or other 'cool blue' lights I have but more blue than the LD01 and the A3. I bought 2 of them, and I'll still use one on a spare keychain since I may want the very big & bright flood over a beam with some spill. Using it around a dark bedroom, it actually lit up a greater area of where you would look or walk around, so that was a bigger plus over the others.

As for which was the brightest overall, the LD01 and A3 were a tie in my opinion. They were both the brightest in the HIGH mode with a 10440, and the color was pretty much exactly the same as well. The only thing separating them was that the LD01 had a more intense hot spot and less spill, while the A3 has a slightly larger hot spot with more spill. You could only tell this when they were side by side at varying distances from a flat white wall. The Eiger was very bright as well, similar to the LD01 and A3, but I think the lack of hot spot is what made it feel 'not as bright' compared to the others. It did make up for the large amount of spill, and the even amount of spill all around.... much more area covered than the LD01 or A3 in a completely dark bedroom. If the lens and reflector were changed to provide more of a spot, then it would probably compare to the LD01 and A3 in terms or brightness and beam intensity / hot spot.

In the end, I really like the A3 as my EDC light right now. The light color, distinguishable levels with both AAA and 10440 batteries, and that it's very bright on HIGH with the 10440. All of the lights will and did get hot when using a 10440 on HIGH, but that was expected. I want to use a 10440, so I'll just need to be cautious about how hard I run these lights with it. If the LD01 was a little shorter, it would compete with the A3 in terms or me wanting to use it, but I think it would lose out in the light levels and the sequence of the level changes. I was used to the MED, LOW, HIGH settings order of the LD01. But after using the A3 for awhile with the LOW, MED, HIGH settings order, I really like that better now as it just feels like it makes sense to me. Therefore, the Eiger would be my 2nd choice as a keychain EDC light, and only time will tell how well it holds up since I mentioned that it feels cheaply built compared to the other lights (again, in my opinion). The main thing I like about it, and main reason why I got it, is because I like the 1-mode configuration of it.... full on or full off.

This was just one man's opinions on these lights, trying to give it a more real-world feel to how I use them every day :)

shramj

Newly Enlightened
I have the iTP as my key chain light and agree it does a good job and I like the fact the o-ring is centered on the end. The Fenix LD Series is still my favorite AAA sized light but I don't think it works as good on a key chain as the iTP.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Fenix LOD and the Fenix LD01 SS and love em. I don't own any 10440 but that's okay cause there pretty awesome. The E05 is on my set of keys for the wife's vehicle as I rarely drive the her suv.
I've also tried the Thrunite Ti, the Tank007, Preon1 hi cri, and preon0-SS the Preons are on my work keys, there a close second and third to my LD01 ;)

h_nu

Enlightened
I like the stainless steel Eiger with narrow optics mostly because the SS is durable against a key ring.