maglite ML series

DoubleNaughtSpy

Newly Enlightened
Hey all! I was looking into purchasing a new flashlight. A Maglite XL series to be exact. I am waiting on a Maglite XL200 to be delivered to replace my EDC Mini-Mag with a Teralux led upgrade that was lost. I am also thinking of getting an ML series to possibly replace my 2D cell Maglite (which also has the Teralux upgrade) which stays on my toolbag. I do HVAC work and we have several customers that prohibit carrying a firearm on their property, which sometimes leaves me in questionable alleys and stuck with my 9MM tucked away in my van and nowhere near me. In these cases the Magclub gives me a sense of security as a last ditch self defense tool. Maybe a false sense of security, but a sense of security non the less.

I recently purchased a Nebo redline that stays on the night stand I am fairly happy with this light for what its purpose is. Buying this light did teach me a couple of things about buying lights though. one is the controls are a bit clunky for what I use this light for as in having to cycle through all five modes to reach the strobe. And that lumen count isnt the end all be all of flashlight purchase. My buddy's Streamlight Stinger rated at 180 lumens is noticably brighter than my Nebo rated at 220 lumens. I didnt really expect a $25 light to outdo his $100 light, and I'm happy with the Nebo's brightness for it's intended purpose but it did teach me that Lumen count isn't a reliable unit to measure a light on.

Well I guess I have beat this bush to death and should get to the point. Looking at the specs on the ML100 and the ML125 on Maglites website the ML100 (3C) has a throw of 306 meters 137 lumens and 23393 cd. The ML125 has a throw of 258 meters 186 lumens and 16725 cd. Me being a complete flashlight newbie, does this info tell me anything about the actual performance of these lights? The versatility of the ML125 using the rechargable pack or 3C alkalines looks attractive. Whatever light I buy will (hopefully) end up replacing my toolbag light or becoming the main household flashlight. I would however like to make an informed decision. Can I tell from these number if these lights are any good? Or how they compare to each other? Do any of you have good or bad experience with these lights? If they are just bad lights could you recommend a good heavy duty led light with strobe and decent throw in this price range ($100 and below)? Would really like to stay with a light that can be used like a club too lol.

Wow that went longer than I planned. Thanks in advance for any info, be easy on me I am already a gun/ammo junkie and to become a flashlight junkie I would have to get a second job to support the habit (as much as its calling my name) lol.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're set on Maglite, obviously get the brand new one that just came out.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333051-New-Mini-Maglite-Pro-LED-Flashlight

http://www.maglite.com/Mini_Maglite_ProPlus_LED.asp

minimagpro2.jpg

Nebo (te-he-he-snicker) 220 lumens is not ANSI/NEMA FL-1 Standard rated lumens.
It's an exaggerated 'emitter' lumens, before efficiency losses.

However, you can accurately compare FL-1 Standard ANSI lumens against each other reliably.
Most brand name vendors have now switched over.
You will see it on the front packaging clearly.

DoubleNaughtSpy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, I was actually looking at the bigger lights. I have already ordered one to replace my lost mini mag. It's not that I am actually set on another Maglite, as much as it is that's just the first place I knew to start looking.I am most definitely open to other lights in the $100 price range. I haven't bought a flashlight in a pretty long time as I have been using the old ones for awhile. Just kinda didn't want to make the Nebo mistake again which was really just an impulse buy at an Army surplus store. When I started researching things it just kinda opened a can of worms lol.

Maybe I should just post in the recommendation thread. I was just more or less looking for info on how to make my own informed decision on how to choose a light buying online and not putting my hands on it. You know teach a man to fish and all :).

Anyways thanks for the info and if the XL200 don't work out for me I will definitely take a look at the Mini Mag you posted.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be interested in a Malkoff drop-in for a regular maglite. It will alow you high lumens, throw and the ability to use alkaline, or rechargeable batteries. Gene has them on sale right now as a matter of fact at malkoffdevices .com. choose carefully, and pay attention to the voltage ranges.

Happy hunting! and welcome to CPF!

DoubleNaughtSpy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jabe1! The drop in that I needed was out of stock. I should be getting an email when they become available. I am definitely going to try that out. And the best part about it is it leaves me $60 left out of my flashlight budget I had set aside. So after reading around on here a bit I think I will spend the rest on a 4sevens. :)

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, I was actually looking at the bigger lights. I have already ordered one to replace my lost mini mag. It's not that I am actually set on another Maglite, as much as it is that's just the first place I knew to start looking.I am most definitely open to other lights in the $100 price range. I haven't bought a flashlight in a pretty long time as I have been using the old ones for awhile. Just kinda didn't want to make the Nebo mistake again which was really just an impulse buy at an Army surplus store. When I started researching things it just kinda opened a can of worms lol.

Maybe I should just post in the recommendation thread. I was just more or less looking for info on how to make my own informed decision on how to choose a light buying online and not putting my hands on it. You know teach a man to fish and all :).

Anyways thanks for the info and if the XL200 don't work out for me I will definitely take a look at the Mini Mag you posted.

Smaller Mags have their fair share of problems and are a bit quirky in the UI.

The ML50 is a cheaper less options no fuss LED flashlight.

Then they brought out the ML100 with its accelerometer to change light levels and strobe rates.

Believe me it was a nightmare to use!

They fixed all of that whacko UI in the XL200 which I have.

You still roll your hand over to set modes but it is a lot simpler than that XL100!!

It is really not very bright nor does it throw well, its main claim to fame is the UI using the Accelerometer to set rates and levels. It is a bit gimmicky and mainly aimed at Techno/Gadget freaks.

You can't go past the new 3D LED Maglite 3rd Generation, as I have tried many Maglite mods but for around $30 for the 2D and 3D LED models they hit the spot nicely. The new 3rd Gen models have "484" on the LED inside the head.

I own three of these 3D LED 3rd Gen Maglites and have had no issues with any of them.

Great throw with a fair spill, but what a nice spot beam on that thing. A real bargain and change of direction for Maglite technology!

DoubleNaughtSpy

Newly Enlightened
Good to know. I ordered the XL200 after watching a youtube review on it and the controls look neat. Even if it isn't the end all be all for an EDC light I am sure I will get my $35 bucks worth of playtime with it lol. I have a teralux led upgrade in my old 2D mag it's ok for me but can only use it on spot setting flood doesn't really work at all just a big black hole with a white ring. I will check out the 3rd gen mags I will probably still order a 4seven with my money. The beauty about maglites is I can sometimes pick them up from one of our suppliers on the company dime. Can't really do that with other brands of lights. Would the ML100 or the ML125 fall into this 3rd gen led or are they the 2nd gen? I ask because they usually don't stock these and I have to order them without putting eyes or hands on em.

Thanks!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know. I ordered the XL200 after watching a youtube review on it and the controls look neat. Even if it isn't the end all be all for an EDC light I am sure I will get my $35 bucks worth of playtime with it lol. I have a teralux led upgrade in my old 2D mag it's ok for me but can only use it on spot setting flood doesn't really work at all just a big black hole with a white ring. I will check out the 3rd gen mags I will probably still order a 4seven with my money. The beauty about maglites is I can sometimes pick them up from one of our suppliers on the company dime. Can't really do that with other brands of lights. Would the ML100 or the ML125 fall into this 3rd gen led or are they the 2nd gen? I ask because they usually don't stock these and I have to order them without putting eyes or hands on em.

Thanks!
Just please stay away from the XL100. (It will do your head in).

The XL50, XL100 and XL200 are first generation flashlights.

Although the XL200 seems like a fix for the poorly rated and screwy interface of the XL100.

The 3D LED Maglites can always be put on the Company account.

Just check to see if it is 3rd Generation with the numbers "484" stamped onto the LED.

Or why not buy a Klarus XT11 that I have and is very popular. What a great powerhouse this is! Pity about the flimsy plastic Tactical Ring that they say are going to made from metal or a proper strong ABS plastic.

Can be stowed away in work pants etc.Tactical Ring is still a problem if you intend using the light that way until the metal ring comes out.

Check out my thread about the Klarus XT11 at -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...sign)-BEWARE-if-you-rely-on-this-type-of-grip.

And also this thread -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...within-1-week-of-owning&p=3918064#post3918064

I bought mine for under $100.

Check out Ebay and Amazon for a good deal.

Or go to the Marketplace here on CPF.

DoubleNaughtSpy

Newly Enlightened
Ok I will sure check out the Klaus. I see what ya mean about the XL100. I am sure glad I ordered the XL200 instead. Since I can probably get a Maglite for free I may go ahead and order the ML125 through the company. But I will definitely check out the Klaus XT11 before dropping my dime on the 4Seven. Thanks for all the helpful info. I am trying not to catch the flashlight bug but it ain't looking good hehe. Maybe I can start reloading my plinking ammo to save enough to spend on flashlights lol. It's kinda right up my alley I love to tinker and tweak things.

maglite mike

Enlightened
The ML 125 is an awesome light. I have 2 of these . 8 days without power during hurricane sandy and never needed to use alkalines although I had several as back up just in case. I was able to recharge the batteries with a generator. I also like these 3rd generation D cell mags. I am definitely getting a few of these. Keep it simple and get a light that works with alkalines. When shtf you want a simple and indestructible light that runs forever.