Jetbeam        
Page 488 of 528 FirstFirst ... 388438478481482483484485486487488489490491492493494495498 ... LastLast
Results 14,611 to 14,640 of 15836

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    It's a shame this thread had Photobucket links but it's what prompted me to build a 4D XM-L drop in with a KAI Domain SMO reflector. Tons and tons of spill and throw.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...p-In-Greatness
    Have you tried this??

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5140270

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    I haven't but I will now. Thanks!!!

I used to just right click on them and hit open in new tab, worked about 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    If I wanted throw, not sure what I would get. Maybe HoundDog Super although I suspect that wouldn't out throw a Mag with a Malkoff anyway. I suppose a Mag with a Malkoff XML2 is a cheap way to get there.
    I was a little high on my lumen counts. :-)

I'm not so much as concerned about the price as the run time. The cost was about the same as a Hound Dog by the time you figure in the batteries, host, reflector, charger, etc. Maybe the Mag is slightly less. The problem I have is that an MD4 Hound Dog runs at 2 hours max on full output where the Mag runs at 4+ hours. When you figure in the reduced output on the Mag it is far and away longer overall run time. An MD4 Hound Dog is also pretty large, maybe not as large as 4D Mag but still tot he point where both are pretty cumbersome.

I had an MD2 Hound Dog, I believe you bought it, and it seemed to have more spill than the Maglite but not as much throw. Both were ample and I liked them both just fine the run time just wasn't long enough for me and I don't think it would be on an MD4 either.

I also didn't mention on the XP-G Mag drop ins the big advantage is that I can and do often run alkalines if I get into a bind. When I'm out in the middle of nowhere I don't always have access to a charger and don't have a large supply of Lithium Ions that I want to carry. I just did a trip to Utah and I stuffed a 2D Mag with an XP-G and 2D alkalines. As I exhausted them I chucked them and was able to pick up 2Ds at almost any gas station. Same goes for work too. Love the long run time and the ease of finding alkalines. Heck I can usually score D cell alkalines for free at work.

I do like my MD2 for working around town when I'm home every night but I don't see myself ever giving up my Mags because of their versatility. They are also tough to lose and double as a club. I've used them many times to break a trailer hitch loose or knock ice off my trailers.

I'm not saying either the Mags or Malkoff lights are better or worse I just prefer each for different jobs and adventures but you don't often see the advantages of the Mags posted about here so I figured I'd discuss some. I will say though that if I had to pick one light it would for sure be a 3D or 2D Mag with a Malkoff XP-G because of it's versatility that I just can't get with an MD2.

I might have to explore this mag module.

About runtime though, unfortunately we are not comparing apples to apples. A hound dog on 26650 cells would be a better comparison. I think a HD with 2x26650's; runtime could match that of the mag module. To get the runtime from the mag, you need at least 10,000mah cells (unless you got the d cell module) The mag upgrade would/should be a bit cheaper than buying a new HD but it might be close.

Being that I have a 3 D cell mag, I might try one of the modules for fun. My dad has a 2 D cell mag which is his favorite light; I should get him the upgrade as that old incan light does not have the best output.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I might have to explore this mag module.

About runtime though, unfortunately we are not comparing apples to apples. A hound dog on 26650 cells would be a better comparison. I think a HD with 2x26650's; runtime could match that of the mag module. To get the runtime from the mag, you need at least 10,000mah cells (unless you got the d cell module) The mag upgrade would/should be a bit cheaper than buying a new HD but it might be close.

Being that I have a 3 D cell mag, I might try one of the modules for fun. My dad has a 2 D cell mag which is his favorite light; I should get him the upgrade as that old incan light does not have the best output.
    Ohh yeah, I agree. I a Surefire based 2 x 26650 host might work for a Hound Dog but I'm not exactly sure who makes one or which one made would be compatible.

There doesn't seem to be much development in the capacity of any batteries aside from the 18650 so the 26650s I've seen only have a marginally higher capacity than an 18650.

Just received the mdc NW XPL and am shocked how bad the tint is!!! It's the worst NW tint in all universe!! Am very very disappointed with it. I have been waiting for it for months and now can't believe how bad it is! I will never ever buy another XPL light ever again!!!

Default The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

It's yellow but not just yellow it's on the very bad yellow side if that makes any sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Just received the mdc NW XPL and am shocked how bad the tint is!!! It's the worst NW tint in all universe!! Am very very disappointed with it. I have been waiting for it for months and now can't believe how bad it is! I will never ever buy another XPL light ever again!!!
    Is this the Netral MDC 16650?

my mdc 16650 neutral model has a warmer temperature. the color is a bit orange, while the mdc AA model and the mdc 2AA model has a traditional neutral temperature of 4000k. the hue of color in these models is very similar, but the same as other neutral light dropins or neutral light lanterns.

the only one different is actually the model mdc 16650.

logically the mdc models and nichia dropins also have quite unique features like the famous shade of light pink, cream ...

I really enjoyed every mdc flashlight, including the 16650 model, which is the most different of all in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Is this the Netral MDC 16650?
    Yes...

Flashaholic*

As I posted earlier, I ordered some derlin spacers and sleeves from Oveready and the M31LL 219B and NexTorch GT6A-S nylon flashlight from Illumn. As promised, here's a summary of what I've observed. I'll start off with a description of each component and then finish up with my experience using them in various configurations.

M31LL 219B from Illumn: Looks exactly like every other Malkoff dropin I own. Identical beam profile to the M61 variants I have (nice hot spot, gradual transition to spill, wide even spill, followed by a slight fringe effect near the edge of the spill). Tint looks exactly like my M61 219B (decidedly not yellow, maybe a hint of pink or violet when comparing against my other lights, but not visible in use). Comparing the output against my other lights, I'd wager that at 3v, the output is between 40L and 60L and at 1.2v the output is somewhere between 20L and 30L. I like it, but I'm still nervous that one day I'll destroy the module by accidentally dropping in a li-ion cell.

NexTorch ST6A-S from Illumn: An amazing deal for $8. For $8 I got 2 CR123A batteries, an incandescent P60-ish module, and a plastic 18650-capable P60 host. I don't know if the batteries or bulb are any good, but I can attest that they work. Both ends had greased threads and O-rings and felt pretty good (clearly not thread compatible with SureFire or Malkoff heads or tails). The beam looks like my 6P's beam but with a slightly less focused hot spot. It's a bit brighter than my 6P with stock bulb and seems to throw about the same.

Derlin spacers and sleeves from Oveready: got a 17mm AA sleeve, an 18mm x 15mm spacer, and a 16mm x 15mm spacer. They're very light and well made (no rough edges, nothing loose).

My first experiments were using the NexTorch. I had to take the spring off of the NexTorch bulb module and put it on the M31LL to make an electrical connection within the host. No issues with that.

CR123A + Malkoff CR123A sized spacer: worked fine. No rattle. No flickering. No issues of any kind.

Eneloop AA in 17mm sleeve + 18mm x 15mm spacer: Worked at first, but after a bit of shaking the beam began to flicker some. Also, I could hear the derlin sleeve sliding a bit inside the host. Both issues were solved by wrapping a bit of paper towel around the derlin sleeve for a snugger fit.

Finished with the NexTorch, I put the M31LL in my 6P. No spring was required.

CR123A + Malkoff CR123A sized spacer: worked fine. No rattle. No flickering. No issues of any kind.

Eneloop AA in 17mm sleeve + 16mm x 15xx spacer: worked fine. No rattle. No flickering. No issues of any kind.

In summary, this is a viable platform if you don't mind keeping up with the appropriate sleeves and spacers. Presumably, if I had purchased the 2xAA 18mm sleeve from Oveready and cut it in half, I wouldn't have had the issues that I did using the 17mm sleeve in the 18+mm host.

On a side note, I took the NexTorch jogging with a M61WLL in it. After a 30 minute jog I could feel no heat around the head of the light. Concerned that heat wasn't being conducted away from the dropin (plastic host, after all), I opened it up and discovered that the dropin was cooler than the plastic exterior (presumably warmed by my hands whilst jogging). Clearly, heat is not an issue for the M61WLL in a plastic host. I would not attempt this with my M61.

Anyways, now you all know what I know.

--flatline

A&Q Moderator

I wrapped the 17mm sleeve in high visibility orange duct tape. Fit 18mm hosts great after that. Good to hear it all worked in a 6P. Tossing in 2XCR123 or lithium ion by mistake would be my fear as well.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 05-16-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    I wrapped the 17mm sleeve in high visibility orange duct tape. Fit 18mm hosts great after that. Good to hear it all worked in a 6P. Tossing in 2XCR123 or lithium ion by mistake would be my fear as well.
    As a matter of principle, I don't run CR123A in series, so I'm not worried about popping the M31LL on 2xCR123A. I've never actually purchased CR123A cells. All the CR123A cells I own came with lights I purchased and I've been slowly using them up in the one light that I have that won't take li-ion (well, it will, but I lose all the low modes which makes it a terrible reading light).

If I get another 17mm sleeve, then I'd be willing to wrap it. Right now, the most likely host for the M31LL is either a Lumens Factory E2 body + VME head or, if I decide to buy another light, a SureFire G2. In either case, 17mm is perfect.

--flatline

*Flashaholic*

I was a little high on my lumen counts. :-)

I'm not so much as concerned about the price as the run time. The cost was about the same as a Hound Dog by the time you figure in the batteries, host, reflector, charger, etc. Maybe the Mag is slightly less. The problem I have is that an MD4 Hound Dog runs at 2 hours max on full output where the Mag runs at 4+ hours. When you figure in the reduced output on the Mag it is far and away longer overall run time. An MD4 Hound Dog is also pretty large, maybe not as large as 4D Mag but still tot he point where both are pretty cumbersome.

I had an MD2 Hound Dog, I believe you bought it, and it seemed to have more spill than the Maglite but not as much throw. Both were ample and I liked them both just fine the run time just wasn't long enough for me and I don't think it would be on an MD4 either.

I also didn't mention on the XP-G Mag drop ins the big advantage is that I can and do often run alkalines if I get into a bind. When I'm out in the middle of nowhere I don't always have access to a charger and don't have a large supply of Lithium Ions that I want to carry. I just did a trip to Utah and I stuffed a 2D Mag with an XP-G and 2D alkalines. As I exhausted them I chucked them and was able to pick up 2Ds at almost any gas station. Same goes for work too. Love the long run time and the ease of finding alkalines. Heck I can usually score D cell alkalines for free at work.

I do like my MD2 for working around town when I'm home every night but I don't see myself ever giving up my Mags because of their versatility. They are also tough to lose and double as a club. I've used them many times to break a trailer hitch loose or knock ice off my trailers.

I'm not saying either the Mags or Malkoff lights are better or worse I just prefer each for different jobs and adventures but you don't often see the advantages of the Mags posted about here so I figured I'd discuss some. I will say though that if I had to pick one light it would for sure be a 3D or 2D Mag with a Malkoff XP-G because of it's versatility that I just can't get with an MD2.
    Yeah, interesting points you make.

I converted the Hound Dog Super into the MD6 configuration which increased the runtime substantially. I also converted one of the Hound Dogs into MD6 which increased it even more. An MD6 Hound Dog is the size of the 3D Maglite, so yes, it's huge. It's still not in the 5 hour range however. The real problem is that you cannot insert 6x123 primaries as the module can deal with 3x18650, but not 6x123 due to voltage. So if you run out of 18650s, you have to take off the extension. Yes, Maglite is simpler. If it takes 4xD NiMH, it can also take 4xD Alkaline just the same.

Alkaline batteries or primary 123s will never be replaced.

I've never had Malkoff's latest-greatest Maglite module so have no idea how it looks throw and spill wise. Maybe if he made one that hit 1000 lumens, that would be neat. I am sure it's a better thrower than the Super. This becomes especially important in the wide open areas in the west, not so much the east coast. 200 meters is nothing in Arizona. Outdoors on the east coast, it's rare when you see clearances longer than 100 yards and often under 80 yards.

I travel with primaries, usually a 9P / MD3 that can take either 123s or 2xAA and a low powered module like M61LLL. That gives me confidence I get good runtime and the ability to buy cells at any gas station. Of course M61LLL has neither throw nor lumens but it's much better than nothing at all.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

Ohh yeah, I agree. I a Surefire based 2 x 26650 host might work for a Hound Dog but I'm not exactly sure who makes one or which one made would be compatible.

There doesn't seem to be much development in the capacity of any batteries aside from the 18650 so the 26650s I've seen only have a marginally higher capacity than an 18650.
    Yeah, and to the point where it's not even worth working with 26mm cells. The real problem is 26mm lights lose the ability to use 123 cells. I would very much prefer to have somewhat reduced capacity of 18mm cells (or even 17mm and 16mm) Li-ions but have the ability to quickly switch to primaries. Plus 18mm is more compact and 26mm feels like carrying a C Maglite. This right there disqualifies it from the EDC material. Who is going to EDC a 2C Mag?
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

A Malkoff'd 4c Mag is sweeeeeeeeet!!!
    John 3:16

I converted the Hound Dog Super into the MD6 configuration which increased the runtime substantially.
    unfortunately the MD6 gain against MD4 is only 30 minutes on high

I remember when I requested this test for the friend infrnl.

I confess that I was frustrated.

on low md6 is great!

*Flashaholic*

Well, MD4 Super is 75 minutes and the MD6 Super is 110 minutes, or a 35 minute increase which translates to a 46% increase over the default MD4 measurement.

I could be off by a few percent but a 40%+ increase in runtime is substantial when you are dealing with 1300 or so lumen lights. Not that the overall runtime is that great either.

This effect is much more pronounced in the Super on low. It's just as articular in the Hound Dog and perhaps best visible in the Hound Dog on low. Yeah, Hound Dog on 3x18650 (MD6) on low. Estimate that.

One thing I realized that all things being equal, a light is more efficient on low than on high. ie. Malkoff M61LLL generates more total lumens over its runtime in the MD3 package than MD3 M61. Just that the latter generates more lumens per any given second but not per the entire runtime of several batteries (of any kind)

Hence and a bit O/T, I propose this new metric. Total Number of Lumens per Runtime. Just look at the Malkoff runtime graphs. Compare one graph versus another by comparing the square inch areas of one versus another and that's your answer.

It's really the only meaningful metric, IMO more useful versus x has y lumens and z has j lumens.

I understood your point of view.
    I considered the 30 minutes as a small gain because in fact, 30 minutes is little.
    but if we consider the amount of lumens (1300) then it can be said that it is an impressive runtime.

before seeing the graph I imagined that the runtime would almost double ...
    once the voltage increases the current decreases
    but it seems that the current consumed has not changed drastically

sure in low mode the time graph would be extensive ...

*Flashaholic*

It's the context that matters. You have a powerful torch that's well above 100 lumens and runs for roughly 1 hour.

Hmm, for me, 19Wh vs. 12Wh is a considerable higher capacity, see https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteri...2015%20UK.html
    And https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteri...2014%20UK.html

Yeah, and to the point where it's not even worth working with 26mm cells. The real problem is 26mm lights lose the ability to use 123 cells. I would very much prefer to have somewhat reduced capacity of 18mm cells (or even 17mm and 16mm) Li-ions but have the ability to quickly switch to primaries. Plus 18mm is more compact and 26mm feels like carrying a C Maglite. This right there disqualifies it from the EDC material. Who is going to EDC a 2C Mag?

I can neither edc a MD4 nor a 2C mag, but actually the 2C mag handle feels perfect in my hands, I prefer this size over the 1 inch handle when the flashlight is longer than a MD3.

With a spacer tube you would be able to switch rapidly, wouldn't you?

Anyways, if Gene would offer a tube for 20, 21, 26 or 27mm cells that would be a great option for me.

Are the pocket clips on the Nicha 219 MDC's black anodized? Does anyone have a photo?

“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Are the pocket clips on the Nicha 219 MDC's black anodized? Does anyone have a photo?

Yes...sorry for the poor pic

Flashaholic*

So now that I've got a VME head with M31 in it that will go poof if I use it with a li-ion cell, what's a good way to mark the bottom of the dropin so that I can identify it without taking it out of the VME head to read the side engravings?

Right now I've got a pink hair tie/elastic on the VME head itself. I'd prefer something on the bottom of the dropin so that I can see no matter what head I put the dropin in.

--flatline

^sharpie paint pen--yellow or white.. fine tip
    havent tried it on the potting but should work

Last edited by hotlight; 05-17-2018 at 10:35 PM.

it will also work on potting compound. I mark all of my modules/lights with a sharpie and i typically write voltage range as well...just haven't done it to this one but voltage is on the head of MDC

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    [Sharpie paint pen - fine tip] it will also work on potting compound. I mark all of my modules/lights with a sharpie and i typically write voltage range as well...just haven't done it to this one but voltage is on the head of MDC
    What a great idea! I will have to start doing this to my Malkoff heads as well. Apologies to hotlight for being too inept to do multiple quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by mamelo View Post
    Anyways, if Gene would offer a tube for 20, 21, 26 or 27mm cells that would be a great option for me.
    He did announce, about 18months ago, that he was working on the 26650 bodies (single & double), but the latest update from him was that he had too many things on the go to proceed with them at the moment.

Fingers crossed that they will eventually come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    ...what's a good way to mark the bottom of the dropin so that I can identify it without taking it out of the VME head to read the side engravings?

-flatline
    I keep all of my 3v heads attached to 3v battery tubes (1CR123 or 2xAA) and store them in a separate compartment in my flashlight drawer. They just don't party with the higher voltage modules. I thought about marking them externally, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mamelo View Post
    Hmm, for me, 19Wh vs. 12Wh is a considerable higher capacity, see https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteri...2015%20UK.html
    And https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteri...2014%20UK.html

I can neither edc a MD4 nor a 2C mag, but actually the 2C mag handle feels perfect in my hands, I prefer this size over the 1 inch handle when the flashlight is longer than a MD3.

With a spacer tube you would be able to switch rapidly, wouldn't you?

Anyways, if Gene would offer a tube for 20, 21, 26 or 27mm cells that would be a great option for me. In actuality the body will probably end up 25mm in diameter or much more appealing. I think that's the perfect size / capacity all around.

I have doubts about 27mm but 20 or 21mm sound appealing and is inching closer to us. With the introduction of Tesla batteries, that is, if they don't go bankrupt.

21mm cells are small enough to EDC and to use as 123 hosts but offer increased capacity. The next few years shall reveal which way things will go.

21mm are just slightly smaller than the 32mm bezels of 6P type models.

In actuality 21mm is the battery size, the body itself is at least a mm or 2 thicker all around.

Page 488 of 528 FirstFirst ... 388438478481482483484485486487488489490491492493494495498 ... LastLast