The Fenix-Store        
Page 527 of 538 FirstFirst ... 27427477517520521522523524525526527528529530531532533534537 ... LastLast
Results 15,781 to 15,810 of 16131

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Isn't that just a regular 6P non Nitrolon head?
    P

Looks like it yes a z44 bezel.

I have not found a huge difference , if using sub 300lm you should be ok with either. I have found most of the heat goes through the base and down the metal tube under the nitrolon body.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Does the Al bezel make much of a difference for heat sinking? Since there's still a layer of nitrolon around the drop in it seems like it wouldn't but I've never tried that setup.
    I've had such a setup once with a Malkoff M60 235 lumen, and most of the heat still goes to the aluminum head as long as it's screwed on tight so the front of the dropin makes good contact with the lip inside the aluminum head.
    What I would hate is for the steel sleeve to heat up and cause heating of the cells inside.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

I'm a big fan of the malkoff products and even though I have a few lanterns, I was surprised by these two beauties.

the ergonomics of this host are phenomenal and the power and balance of the light beam are amazing. these are definitely my new edc items.

The crenellated steel bezel rings are a nice touch. Well done, Marco.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    I'm a big fan of the malkoff products and even though I have a few lanterns, I was surprised by these two beauties.

the ergonomics of this host are phenomenal and the power and balance of the light beam are amazing. these are definitely my new edc items.

I really like the longer one, what parts were used to build it?

The short one looks kind of weird to me. The grip ring and clip just don't seem happy together.
    Click here for the CandlePower Forums member map.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?383660

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    The crenellated steel bezel rings are a nice touch. Well done, Marco.

You're right Modernflame my friend. Bezel ring is the icing on the cake. lol

I saw the video of Gear Runner on You Tube and I was even more excited about this v2 host.
    I would say that the v1 host is even small to be used as a dagger, but the v2 host can take advantage of the bezel ring if it is needed.
    If you have not seen the video then recommend it. It's very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post
    I really like the longer one, what parts were used to build it?

The short one looks kind of weird to me. The grip ring and clip just don't seem happy together.

hello mckeand13. The biggest flashlight is the bodyguard v2. This flashlight is composed of 3 parts, which are: head, intermediate section and host.
    on the product's own website there are several pictures that illustrate the parts very well.
    follow the link: https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...650-flashlight

the smaller flashlight may have the grip ring removed if the owner prefers.
    initially I am using the ring and I have liked the result. the clip rests under the ring.

there is no doubt that without the ring grip it is easier to attach the flashlight in the pocket.
    Last edited by marco.weiss; 10-11-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Does the Al bezel make much of a difference for heat sinking? Since there's still a layer of nitrolon around the drop in it seems like it wouldn't but I've never tried that setup.
    Umm... the head is aluminum It is a battery tube and a tail cap that are nitrolon.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Umm... the head is aluminum It is a battery tube and a tail cap that are nitrolon.
    The drop in goes into the cavity in the body tube, then the bezel (head) screws on over that. So the drop in is surrounded by a layer of nitrolon body and only touches the metal head at the very front if at all, so not much contact for heat transfer.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

The drop in goes into the cavity in the body tube, then the bezel (head) screws on over that. So the drop in is surrounded by a layer of nitrolon body and only touches the metal head at the very front if at all, so not much contact for heat transfer.
    Yes, only the front makes contact but the head still heats up.

Maybe because aluminum pulls heat from brass, even if it's just a relatively small contact surface? I don't know for sure.

Just my observations with my earlier M60 (235 lumen XRE) and then a M61N(300 lumen XPG2) in the same Nitrolon body + Z44 head light.

So, I got curious about the metal sleeve inside and did a 10min continuous run using a M61N, a Z44 from a C2, and a G2 body, using two 16340.

Head got hot, as usual, and the dropin was hotter to touch. Metal sleeve inside the G2 body was just a bit warm, feeling it with my pinky finger.

Thanks for doing that Rob, I've also been curious about this.
    P

I'm late to the party but I've just realized that the Hound Dog 18650 has been given a bump to 1000 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I'm late to the party but I've just realized that the Hound Dog 18650 has been given a bump to 1000 lumens.
    It seems that all hound dog models have been upgraded, just like wilcat.

sounds like all models have been slightly upgraded now. If we could only see into the future. Although each revision has its advantages/disadvantages. I'm perfectly fine with what I own. slight increase in output could be beneficial in some cases though.

I have been using my MDC 16650's lately while helping an old friend work on things. During the day a bit more output would be welcome. Maybe it is just the tint. My buddy doesn't like my light and always hands me his streamlight. It is cool white but no blue and it noticeably brighter than my MDC 16650, while being similar in size to the MD2. maybe i should try the M61 HOT/T to see how it compares?

I'm personally fine using the 16650, gets the job done. I could also try my coolwhite 16650. will try a few options next time. Have to go back on the road for at least another couple weeks

Flashaholic

^ Safe drivin brother✌

Just placed another Malkoff order and realized that you could look back over what had been ordered previously. Man, I wish I had some of that stuff back!

My first order was #827 and was for an M60 and an M60F (which I still have).

Shouldn’t take long, but who has an earlier order number?

A&Q Moderator

This is what Gene says about the M61 so applying it to the M61L though he does say a M61L would be ok in all plastic lights. Still that's my preference. For all plastic I use M61LL. Maybe one day will toss the plastice bezel back on to see.

This dropin was designed to operate at maximum output for extended times in metal lights. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes on high in plastic lights may damage the dropin. This is not an issue in metal lights or plastic lights with a metal head.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    sounds like all models have been slightly upgraded now. If we could only see into the future.
    If these improvments of max brightness is a result of more efficient emitters and/or circuits I am fine with that.
    But if it is higher outputs on the expense of stable output and runtime I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    If these improvments of max brightness is a result of more efficient emitters and/or circuits I am fine with that.
    But if it is higher outputs on the expense of stable output and runtime I don't like it.
    I suspect it is the latter. Regarding the M61 in particular, the increased output came at the expense of run time. It's possible that Gene has made some other improvements to the product line, though. It seems he does not advertise every subtle change.

Just before I purchased my Hound Dog 18650 in August of 2016, I called Gene to ask him some questions. At that time, he said that they had dialed down its output to prevent overheating. That was a selling point for me. I'm content with my cool running, intentionally under-driven flashlight.

We are certainly in the minority, though. I think Gene is feeling the pressure of the lumens war.

The M61L though is still listed at the same 5 hour runtime even if output was bumped to 230 lumens.

Yeah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    This is what Gene says about the M61 so applying it to the M61L though he does say a M61L would be ok in all plastic lights. Still that's my preference. For all plastic I use M61LL. Maybe one day will toss the plastice bezel back on to see.

This dropin was designed to operate at maximum output for extended times in metal lights. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes on high in plastic lights may damage the dropin. This is not an issue in metal lights or plastic lights with a metal head.

I remember back now with my g2 in work. It did not have the z44 al head on then. The full g2 with the 300lm OR mule inside ,which heated up all the way through the light. IIRC it was around 30 mins or so ,accidentally activated inside my tool box draw. Head was very warm, along with body. It was at a later date i swapped the head for a c2(nitrolon is stored and has been for a while). This more than likely played a part in heating up the body, with nothing else other than the metal tube inside to remove heat from the base of the drop in.

So a correction to my previous post thinking it had the z44 on

I can’t see gene sacrificing runtime and stable output for 100 lumens. I mean really yes if you Concentrate you can see 100 lumen difference but I’d rather have 325 for 1.5-2 hours then 425 for 1.25 hours.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I can’t see gene sacrificing runtime and stable output for 100 lumens. I mean really yes if you Concentrate you can see 100 lumen difference but I’d rather have 325 for 1.5-2 hours then 425 for 1.25 hours.
    Agreed! Stable long run time is the best thing about Malkoff products. Unfortunately that doesn't appeal to the masses.

I'm very happy to see malkoff products being improved.
    Apparently (from the information on the site) many products have become more powerful and maintained the same consumption of electric current.
    If that is correct then that is great news for the malkoff community, but analyzing the run time graphs of the dropin m61 of 325 vs 425 lumens one realizes that consumption has changed ... There are no miracles!

However, something that worries me is being able to distinguish and know the differences between one model and another of dropin or flashlight.

I as a collector have taken care to catalog all my flashlights and their specifications, but who does not have this information can get lost and the worst: announce a product with the wrong specifications.

The incredible work of our friend Infrnl may be compromised by these changes.

In this context I believe there could be a clearer way to differentiate models and versions.
    Last edited by marco.weiss; 10-13-2018 at 12:50 PM.

More power but with less runtime. That’s the new crop of Malkoff lights. Not sure I like where he’s going here but I have faith in him.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    In this context I believe there could be a clearer way to differentiate models and versions.
    I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Normally, I appreciate the lack of markings on Malkoff devices, but in this case, clarity would be helpful. Perhaps the upgraded models could simply be labeled with the year "2018." Other makers do this to set various iterations apart from each other.

Flashaholic

^^ Agreed a "V2" (2nd version) mark would make it easier purchasing on the secondary market place

I'm a 425 fan boy. Got to love that 425 using 2X18500's. Two hours of flat run time with a nice high output. 2X18650's is really spectacular. I see the 425 as an alternative to the higher voltage dropins Gene offers.

Bill

Page 527 of 538 FirstFirst ... 27427477517520521522523524525526527528529530531532533534537 ... LastLast