[food content] How is this kind of toast called?

K-T

*Moderator*
I am trying to remember some things I ate back then when I was in the US. One of them was "Sloppy Joe" and I already found a recipe for it. The other one is a bit harder as I don't know what it is called. This is how it looked like or was made (have never made them myself). The toasts were dunk into some kind of sauce that contained (only guessing here!) eggs, suggar, cinnamon and maybe some other stuff. Then they were toasted on both sides on a hot plate until nice and brown. These were served for breakfast.

What a great description. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I guess it is rather easy to name but I don't know its name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks again.

Klaus.

K-T

*Moderator*
Re: [food content] How is this kind of toast calle

Yehaa!
banana.gif
That's it.
thewave.gif

It was french toast.
dancin.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

Thanks, Bart. I found the German equivalent. It's called "Poor Knights". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love french toast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I prefer Belgian waffles for breakfast though! Really, I like pancakes too, anything breakfast that I can put butter and syrup on...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

8 slices of bread (usually a day old)

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup flour

butter

powdered sugar

cinnamon (powder)

Mix together eggs, milk and flour and pass through a strainer. Dip slices of bread into the mixture and fry in butter on both sides in a frying pan. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

This is great stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

And in French: "Pain Perdue" if that helps find more recipes.

Along with what James S was getting at, don't forget the real maple syrup K-T. That's very important for the flavor composition!
(Although some use honey as a substitute. I suppose a good strong honey like Biophar's Schwartzwald might work well. I also had to mention that because I love that stuff and there's no longer a US importer for it even though it's so delicious. So I'm a little jealous of our German friends.)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

to make an outstanding breakfast syrup mix pure maple syrup with equal quantity of honey (orange blossom if available)

K-T

*Moderator*

Thanks guys - you are great! And don't worry as I aready have some nice maple syrup. It's a must. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never tried it mixed with honey, but if all you've ever had is the fake syrup in those plastic squeeze bottles you're going to be surprised at how different, and wonderful, the real stuff is.

It's certainly more expensive, but it is one of the few really luxury foods I regular put up the cash for.

I think I'll tell my wife to pick up some more bread on the way home, we're having French Toast for dinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

K A

Enlightened

Hmm. I have been buying some stuff from Sams Club. Its Uncle Luke's Maple Syrup. According to the label its 100% Pure US Grade A Dark Amber (Product of Canada). Its thinner than Ms Butterworths but has tons less sodium in it.. One reason why I buy it. It only has 2 things on the Nutrition Facts label.. 53g of sugars and 1mg of Sodium (1/4 cup serving size). Compare that to Ms Butterworths!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

K A, I've had that too. It's actually pretty good! It's big jug though, you can't eat it all at one meal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts