RIP: Thomas Kinkade

Empath

Flashaholic
The news is disheartening.

If indeed "he was reviled by the art establishment", then my level of sophistication must be sorely lacking. I truly appreciated his works, and regarded his skills highly.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
It has often been said "I don't know art, but I know what I like". I really like his work. It's impossible for me to meditate on one of his paintings without feeling uplifted.

Vesper

Enlightened
Fairly young, had a wife and 4 daughters. Sad. He was reviled by the "art community" mainly for his success.

Wrend

Enlightened
I wouldn't say success as much as catering to what people like, perhaps including himself. I of course also very much like the works of art he did. Art isn't always about making a controversial statement, or doing something significantly different from everything else.

The easiest way for me to describe his work is to call it warmth, or perhaps the way home.

Last edited:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contents removed. Derogatory posts in the "RIP" threads honoring the deceased are off-topic and discouraged. Such comments, if they must be expressed, should be made somewhere other than this thread. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've always liked his works. Sad to see him pass so young. RIP.

Me too. I bought his calenders every year for my mom. She loves the beautiful artwork. No clue how someone only 54 could die of natural causes. Very sad to hear this. R.I.P.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The news is disheartening.

If indeed "he was reviled by the art establishment", then my level of sophistication must be sorely lacking. I truly appreciated his works, and regarded his skills highly.
I have no idea how many looked down upon his magical interpretations, but I assume it was primarily those who despise all success because of their own snobbery.

Always loved the way his paintings breathed with life and I wish I could take pictures in the same manner.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Me too. I bought his calenders every year for my mom. She loves the beautiful artwork.

I have several of his pieces (reproductions, obviously) in my home, too. My wife and I both like his work, and we also bought the calendars year after year.

No clue how someone only 54 could die of natural causes. Very sad to hear this. R.I.P.
My Dad had a heart attack at age 53, and had my Mom not gotten to him to the hospital in time, he would have died then. It would have been ruled as death of natural causes because he had heart disease (atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis, I can never keep those two straight). Death by disease is the same as death by natural causes; it wasn't death by misadventure (accidental injury), and it wasn't intentional, like murder or suicide. Those are your three basic categories: intentional, accidental, and holy-crow-the-body-quit-working.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that such a way to go fell under the heading of Natural Causes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
We are not actually designed to work reliably for half a century. They think our ancestors were designed for 30 or so.

I've known individuals who could still function properly while pushing 80.

I've known individuals in their early '20s who couldn't peel a grape if their lives depended on it.