New Mag LED vs Malkoff

5Sport

Enlightened
So is the Malkoff drop in for a 3D Maglite noticeably brighter than a stock Maglite LED (The new ones not the LED drop ins).
Anyone have any beamshots to compare? I was thinking of picking up a Malkoff drop in since they are on sale, but was wonderring if it was worth it.

Thanks

my#1hobby

Enlightened
So is the Malkoff drop in for a 3D Maglite noticeably brighter than a stock Maglite LED (The new ones not the LED drop ins).
Anyone have any beamshots to compare? I was thinking of picking up a Malkoff drop in since they are on sale, but was wonderring if it was worth it.

Thanks
Somebody posted over in the Good Deals section that their 3D Malkoff XP-G drop in was slightly brighter than the 2D Maglite with the XP-E, but outdoors it looked about the same. The Malkoff has a nicer neutral tint to it though.

cccpull

Enlightened
Well, you have to decide if it's worth it to you; $60 to put a Malkoff together or $15 for the Magled.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks

I bought the 3D Malkoff XP-G drop in for my standard 4D Maglite.

I have a couple of 3D LED 3rd Generation Maglites.

I sent it back to Malkoff as the 3rd Gen LED Maglite gave out a better quality of light with a really nice hotspot.

Don't waste your time, just buy the newer LED Maglite.

The Malkoff was inferior to the stock LED 3rd Gen LED Maglite.

The new 3rd Gen LED Maglites state 131 lumens, 79 hrs runtime, 364 metre throw and 33028 CD.

There were some of the newer LED Maglites getting around in the old packaging, so be careful.

The newer LED is marked "484" on the LED.

Go to the Maglite page for further information.

http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp

Gryffin

Enlightened
Initial brightness might not be too different, but the MagLite is notorious for dropping output very quickly, since it doesn't dissipate heat very well. The Malkoff comes attached to a fairly large hunk of aluminum that fits into the battery tube, right where the thick part of he head threads on, so there's a much better thermal path. And in my limited use so far, the output stays very steady.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
In my opinion, the Malkoff 3-6D drop-in is better than the stock 3D LED maglite in terms of versatility (battery options) and runtime at full output. I installed my Malkoff in my 3D (LED) body and use either 4 "C" NimH, a NiCad 6V stick, 4 "AA" sanyo eneloops, 3 "D" alkalines, 4 "C" alkalines or 2 AW 18650's w/ a spacer. I took the switch and reflector from my 3D LED Maglite and installed it into a 2D (incan) host so I could use 3 "C" cells. Alkalines work fine, though it's not as bright when using rechargeables. The Mag LED doesn't stay at full output for more than a few minutes, but it does throw farther due to the deep reflector and smaller size LED.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can't put malkoff drop in in deep reflector mag , unless you mod the light, and the drop in, heat distribution wise, malkoff defiantly beats stock mag. price wise, you can get 3 mags for the price of 1 malkoff drop in.
now new ml125\200 maglites have better heat management, and use deep reflector of different kind. but they are expensive.
wonder if anyone compared those to malkoff.

5Sport

Enlightened
Well the on sale Malkoffs are out of stock so that may solve my problem. I was trying to pep up an old Maglite. Maybe I'll look at Teralux.

It sounds like the new Mag LED's are giving everyone else a run for their money.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Malkoff drop-ins I have for my C cell Mags,they may restock the D-model if you can wait.I also like the TerraLUX TLE-6EXB but it is not as bright as the Malkoff and has no heatsink to the light that the Malkoff does.I think the biggest disadvantage with the Malkoff is that you can't focus the beam as tight as the standard drop-ins or Mag LEDs.The Malkoff Mag still throws very far and the output is noticably higher than the TLE-6EXB.I don't have the latest Mag LEDs but judging from Mags own stats I don't think they are going to be in the same output range as the Malkoffs.If absolute throw is your main concern then the new Mag LEDs may be the ticket with thier deeper reflectors and tighter focus.

glugo1969

Newly Enlightened
the malkoff is the better choice, i have the 2d, 2c, 4c, 3 to 6 d drop ins and they have performed flawlessly i also have the magled and i use the makoff more also the batteries last longer plus bigger hotspot and it doesn't get even warm after prolonged use (over 2 hrs!)

cccpull

Enlightened
Does anyone have both (Malkoff and xpe Maglite) to compare beam-shots (video or pictures).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just shot beams shots the other night, and included the new 3 D LED Maglite, listed as 131 L with 364 M throw.

It wasn't that bad...not much light on the way to the target, but on target was pretty good actually.

Here's some shots down a trail:

6910615596_63934fc133_z.jpg

3D LED Maglite

7056700787_2135bbb35c_z.jpg

3D LED Maglite

6910616252_e70043c471_z.jpg

3D LED Maglite

6910608180_985970b8e3_z.jpg

4Sevens S12 for Comparison

7056694209_8864dd6f1e_z.jpg

SureFire Fury for Comparison

Hope that helps a little.

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Yeah, its only 131 lumens, but it looks like most of them end up on target at least.

Not a good light for taking a walk, but if you need range, and a small patch of light, it works very well.

6910616758_70ef12bc78_z.jpg

Olight SR90 DD for comparison - More throw + more flood

6910617054_0bc998c0dd_z.jpg

Olight SR90 DD for comparison - More throw + more flood (Camera Zoomed to end of curve in the trail)

cccpull

Enlightened
"Olight SR90 DD for comparison - More throw + more flood"; and much, more MONEY.:eek:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Malkoff 3D drop in the other day and swapped the emitter out for a High CRI XP-G from illumination supply. Pretty sweet. It looks strikingly close to the incandescent color but way more efficient and obviously brighter.

I guess my point here is that it's soooo easy to mod the Malkoff. I've never seen the way the new Mag LED is put together but for a tint snob like myself, if I can't swap out the emitter, it's probably a no go.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

357mag1

Enlightened
I have several of each (Malkoff dropins and newest Maglite LED). I believe the Malkoff is a more robust unit and you could cut off the tower and solder connections from the switch to the dropin allowing you to adjust the height and use the LED reflector.

My Malkoff dropins are all over the board when it comes to tint. Some are green which I really don't like, one is a nice creamy white and a couple are quite purple.

Even using the incandescent reflector my Malkoff dropins hang right with the Maglite LEDs for throw. The Malkoff puts out a wider hot spot providing a nicer overall beam.

Are the Malkoff dropins worth the money? Not really. The new Maglites are pretty awesome even at the retail price of $30. I catch them on sale at half price at Lowes and Home Depot then add in my Military discount they are about $13.50 compared to the Malkoffs $39. The Malkoffs used to be $65 -$69 but have been on sale recently.

Now if Gene would come out with an XML dropin for the Maglite we might have something.