Fenix E01 Polishing for a Better Beam?

JNieporte

Enlightened
I've read of people using 0000 steel wool to polish the E01 to get a more uniform beam. However, some say to polish the "reflector" and some say to polish the LED itself. Which is it?

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
It would have to be the "reflector" because 5mm LEDs are already pre-focused (more-or-less). Putting an actual reflector on the E01 won't really catch that much stray light.

Edit:
Whoops should have read the OP's post more carefully.
Yeah you would have to use the steel wool on the LED to create a "floodlight" type effect. Kind of likeee.... A Fenix E05!

tam17

Enlightened
That's roughening (rather than polishing) of both LED and reflector that helps get a better beam out of E01.

It is possible to use toothpaste or abrasive powder, too. Some more radical mods involve sanding the LED's dome to change (widen) the beam. If you want your mod to be reversible, use d-c-fix frosted film. All of this is elaborated here on CPF and easily accessible via "search" function :whistle:

Cheers,

Tam

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have the E01. I polished both the LED itself and the "reflector" and it's much smoother now.
polishing a car makes the metal surface brilliant shiny like a mirror. if one "polishes" an already brilliant shiny smooth surface (like the dome of a Cree XP-G LED) with steel wool, the surface loses its brilliance and becomes matt, doesnt it?

some lights (iTP A3 stainless steel or titanium) come in a polished shiny finish. if i apply polish paste and steel wool for 3 min. i would assume that i lose the original polished shiny finish but get micro scratches.

i am confused.

here a thread with beamshots but no photos of the treated reflector & LED themselves:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TOS-ADDED-9-10-Fenix-E01-Thank-you-to-Scout24

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
If you want a nice flood beam from your E01 just use a small piece of an SOS pad & turn it on the bulb about 6-10 times (sides & top). This is what I did & the results are amazing! I now have a nice floody E01.It takes away the angry blue/purple as a side benefit also. It also throws quite well IMO.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a nice flood beam from your E01 just use a small piece of an SOS pad & turn it on the bulb about 6-10 times (sides & top). This is what I did & the results are amazing! I now have a nice floody E01.It takes away the angry blue/purple as a side benefit also. It also throws quite well IMO.
thanks for the instructions! so the treatment should be done in a very limited and careful way i guess? -- "6-10 times" doesnt sound like (any) much treatment at all. sounds like nothing lol.

i'd be happy to see close-up photos of the LED (and reflector) to see the degree of surface treatment.
i should be able to find some polish pad or similar..

ragweed

Enlightened
I started off with 4 turns with moderate pressure & tested it in a dark closet. It still needed 3 more turns & turned out perfect for me. I do not know how strong you are so I would first turn a minimum of 2 times & check out the beam. You can always add 2 turns at a time until the beam suits you.

JNieporte

Enlightened
polishing a car makes the metal surface brilliant shiny like a mirror. if one "polishes" an already brilliant shiny smooth surface (like the dome of a Cree XP-G LED) with steel wool, the surface loses its brilliance and becomes matt, doesnt it?

some lights (iTP A3 stainless steel or titanium) come in a polished shiny finish. if i apply polish paste and steel wool for 3 min. i would assume that i lose the original polished shiny finish but get micro scratches.

i am confused.

here a thread with beamshots but no photos of the treated reflector & LED themselves:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TOS-ADDED-9-10-Fenix-E01-Thank-you-to-Scout24

You're right. I need to rephrase. Here's what I did...
1. With 0000 steel wool, roughen the LED itself with light pressure for about 30 seconds.
2. 0000 steel wool, roughen the "reflector" for about a minute with medium pressure.
3. With compressed air, blow out as much of the debris as you can.
4. Apply some Flitz (simichrome, whatever polish you have) to a Q-tip, and rub it on the bulb lightly for about 30 seconds. You may have to flatten the end of the Q-tip to get in between the bulb and reflector.
5. Now do it to the reflector for about a minute. Lots of pressure here.
6. Using lint-free cotton, remove all of the polish.
7. Use a clean Q-tip, flatten if needed, and very lightly apply (insert liquid lubricant here). For me, it's Tuff Glide.
8. Wait for ten or so seconds, then blow out the excess with the compressed air.

The beam is now much whiter and smoother; I can't see any artifacts or halos and there's no blue at all.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is the best set of instructions for E01 treament i have seen so far on cpf. almost replaces any sort of youtube clip (well, there isnt any youtube video for E01 treatment). Thanks a thousands for the clear and detailed instructions!! i got Q-tips, now i need to get some 0000 steel wool and polish (simichrome, ..).

looking very forward to the work. (still no photos?.. thx anyway.. )

tam17

Enlightened
E01 matted with household scouring powder (Vim Clorex) and a toothbrush:

akxtsm.jpg
2vx21qq.jpg

Powder is mixed with water and rubbed onto LED and reflector with an old toothbrush. Perform narrow circular movements, while slowly rotating the flashlight body around its longitudinal axis (threads are protected from grit with few turns of electrician's insulation tape). Keep the flashlight on all the time, so you can check the tint and beam pattern. Rinse thoroughly (finish with demi water if possible), shake and blow out the remaining water and wait a few minutes to dry. There are no typical steel wool rings, surface is matted evenly. Tint doesn't get warm white, but it isn't typical violet-blue, either.

Be careful if you're using compressed air, since E01's LED is sealed with single O-ring and IPX-8 rating doesn't cover dynamic pressure.

Cheers,

Tam

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
first time i ever see the matted (the term "polished" is wrong, isnt it? "To polish" means to make things brilliant and shiny and light reflective like a bathroom's mirror!) LED. looks crass!!

i mean .. we irreversibly "damage" the bulbs exterior surface even if intentionally. certainly the light gets dimmer by that (considerable loss of lumens). i'll really consider doing the matting with polish substance (and steel wool or toothbrush) .. but it's a radical measure anyway. Because it's irreversible.

Thanks so much for the photos and all the shared info. Highly instructive thread!!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I use a simple diffuser film to do the same thing, except its reversible if need be.

:D

tam17

Enlightened
It doesn't have to be irreversible. Use d-c-fix and feel no guilt :whistle:

xnxkxi.jpg

All my E01's are diffused, irreversible or not. E01 is cheap enough to try. Some of CPFers were using various films to modify even the tint (ordinary frosted d-c-fix is rather neutral).

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
yet another relevant photo in this thread, awesome!!
dcfix ( i dont know this brand/product ) seems to be (adhesive?) foil. your picture shows heat shrink tubing and Fenix LD01 pocket clip (terrific idea!). so it's indeed flexible foil (like film) and no frosted lens of stiff material, right? and the heat shrink tubing is to fix the film underneath it?

does the dcfix film retain its tension even when the light is carried on a bunch of keys (bumps, ..)?

tam17

Enlightened
Try googling d-c-fix (it's a German brand) and also check this website for flashlight-related applications...

Cheers,

Tam

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exemplary mod Tam! parts used: plastic cap, dcfix, heat shrink tubing, (and LD01 pocket clip).
i think i have found your thread over there!

Thank you very much for your contribution to the WWW. i do contribute too to the wealth and knowledge of the inet with detailed FL related threads and reviews, mods, instructions, photos and whatnot. but not on cpf, just like you :party: