Fenix TK70 diffuser

Anzycpethian

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an unusual request but is there any diffuser (cone shaped) that I can use for my TK70?
I'm not planning to use it on Turbo or High of course.

Same question regarding a (my) Maelstrom X10.

If you have dealer's links I'd be very thankful for a PM with a link. Thank you!

lwknight

Enlightened
I bet you have to make your own.
A plastic cup should work nicely if you find the right size.
You may have to build an adapter with cardboard and tape/glue.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Did anyone find a good diffuser for the TK70? This light barely gets warm on high, which is over 100 lumens more than the TK41 on turbo (which gets very hot) and I don't want that light's head enclosed with a diffuser with that heat.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cooling happens on the side, where the aluminium is. Thats where the heat is transfered to air and to your hands. A diffusor an a normally driven led-light shouldn't cause any problems.

Anzycpethian

Newly Enlightened
@Cyber: You DO mean 1000lm more, right?
I ended up using a Styrofoam drinking cup placed on top of the light when I was camping with my TK70 last time. It worked quite well but I wish there was some nicer option....

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL - I'd rather have an aspheric head for my TK70....its already pretty floody.

:D

If I need the flood light version of the TK70, I'd just use the Dry 3XML, Nitecore TM11, or the Elektrolumens Big Brute for example. Easier to use close up than a long light like the TK70.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Is the idea of the diffuser cone to use the light as a beacon or signal, the way traffic wands or indicators are used to signal or direct people?

Or is it to simply make the light radiate in more of a ball than a directed beam? IE: You want area lighting rather than an aimed beam?

Anzycpethian

Newly Enlightened
I don't want any beam at all with it, just use it as area light for (for example camping). I have other flooders for that use but even my TM11 doesn't come that close to the TK70's output.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't want any beam at all with it, just use it as area light for (for example camping). I have other flooders for that use but even my TM11 doesn't come that close to the TK70's output.

Hmmm, I think 2000 lumens is pretty close to 2200 lumens?

But, anyway, yeah, a cup of the right size would do that...but, of course, you will not get 2200 lumens in a ball, you'll get less.

You can get some diffuser film, and just lay it over the lens like a colorform film, etc.

That will diffuse the beam pretty well.

If you have a shiny ball, or a convex hallway corner mirror, etc...you can simply shine the TK70 at that, and the reflected light will be very dispersed along the surface of the sphere back out into the dark for you.

Similarly, for camping, you can hang a white sheet, or a space blanket....and shine it at that, depending on what kind of light you want to end up with where.

I got some diffuser film from Vinh (He has several modding hot line threads here, plus he's at the CPF Marketplace. If you want some to try at least, just PM him.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?144960-vinhnguyen54

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I use an old frosted globe that used to go on top of my old 1970's porch light that got replaced. It works awesome for a camping lantern. I'll try to post some pics either tonight or tomorrow.

Can't find the globe at the moment, but I found that my wife's disinfecting wipes container fits nicely. Just needs a little trimming around the inner edge and it slips right on.

TK70 on high with no other lights on.
2012-09-24_22-35-15_992.jpg
[/IMG]

TK70 off and living room lights on.
2012-09-24_22-36-27_672.jpg
[/IMG]

Of course you would want to peel the label off.... :)
2012-09-24_22-37-58_191.jpg
[/IMG]
2012-09-24_22-38-59_774.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited: