RustOleum Frosted Glass for Beam Modification

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been having good luck modifying low-quality narrow-beam headlamps with rattle-can Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass.

Just tonight I modified my daughter's purple/yellow narrow-beam PT Bot, and a vernable old Petzl Tikka. On the PT Bot, the Frosted Glass (sprayed directly onto the LEDs) mixed the purple and the yellow so the result is a much whiter beam, without the artifacts. It also spread the beam.

I photographed the beam of the Tikka before and after, using the manual setting of my camera so you get exactly the same exposure and field of view for before and after the modification. I much prefer the smoother wider beam (and mellowed hotspot) for work. Obviously it diminishes throw, so it's a 'worklight' modification. Not recommended for night-hike lights and the like.

FrostedGlass.jpg

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously it diminishes throw, so it's a 'worklight' modification. Not recommended for night-hike lights and the like.
Perfect for night-hike lights and the like, where a bright spot destroys near-field and night-adapted vision. Looks good, regardless. I'm about to frost or diffuse the lens over the optic on some PT Eos headlamps for coworkers, hopefully to similar effect, but without so much loss in output. They're free, but the beam is horrible for how they are typically used.