SF KX1B Head

tsl

Enlightened
I saw a SF E1L with KX1B on the bezel. Is that stock from SF? I have a two stage E1L and it just states KX1 on the head. I've read that the E2L-AA has KX1B on the bezel but I haven't seen a E1L with the same.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Surefire is now using the KX1B head on the E1L. Has anyone done a runtime/lumen comparison between the E1L with the KX1 versus the KX1B head?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KX1B head is specified with 80 lumens. In the past this head was used with the E2L-AA only. But since the E2L-AA runs on 3V like the E1L the heads are compatible.

Seels mike SF runs out of KX1 heads and now the compatible KX1B heads are now used for the remaining E1L lights. The E1L is not in the 2012 catalog anymore. Therfore I guess this light will be discontinued soon.

Gatsby

Enlightened
It makes you wonder what the standard LED 1xCR123 light will be... the Titan? Maybe something else is in the offing, with no L1 and no E1L that just leaves the backup which, as a high first light, is a pretty limiting offer.

Gatsby

Enlightened
The problem, for me at least, with the E1B carries to the EB1 as I understand it at least - high is the first level and I prefer low as the first option (hence my love of my E1L, E2L, G2X Pro, L1). What isn't clear is what the EB1T tailcap does, but it sounds like high is still the first level.

There does not seem to be a replacement of the E1L/L1 light from what I've seen - I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I mention the EB1T specifically, it's a two-stage tailcap so it would come on in low mode until you press it all the way.

tsl

Enlightened
That's why I mention the EB1T specifically, it's a two-stage tailcap so it would come on in low mode until you press it all the way.

Why in momentary would it come on in low mode first? The LE is designed to come on in high mode first.

Also, does anyone know for sure that the E1L is being discontinued? The E2L (2xCR123) isn't in the catalog either.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want high mode, just press it all the way. It has to be a half-press for low mode.

Those are outdated products...it wouldn't make sense to sell 60 or 80 lumen lights (targeted for a small market with the non-tactical UI) alongside comparable lights that are 200 or 500 lumens.

tsl

Enlightened
If you want high mode, just press it all the way. It has to be a half-press for low mode.

Those are outdated products...it wouldn't make sense to sell 60 or 80 lumen lights (targeted for a small market with the non-tactical UI) alongside comparable lights that are 200 or 500 lumens.

OK, now I understand what you meant by the EB1T ... the T for tactical UI like the L1 and LX2. Of course that is true.

In regards to the E1L and E2L being outdated products, I guess it all depends on whether runtime is still important.

Would you know if the programmable feature of some of the to-be-released lights would allow something like the EB1 to be reprogrammed so that the first mode is low and the second is high?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only got the following: programming dongle is on the back burner until the rechargeable lights have been released.

What I do know is that the R1 will be compatible with it, and there doesn't seem to be anything special in the head. LEDs will produce power like a solar cell (if there's enough light), so perhaps the dongle will transfer data through the LED? :popcorn:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KX1B head is specified with 80 lumens. In the past this head was used with the E2L-AA only. But since the E2L-AA runs on 3V like the E1L the heads are compatible.

Seels mike SF runs out of KX1 heads and now the compatible KX1B heads are now used for the remaining E1L lights. The E1L is not in the 2012 catalog anymore. Therfore I guess this light will be discontinued soon.

Sad news...

For me Surefire E1L is the best EDC light ever! It´s small, powerful, 2 modes (with low first), natural colored HA, sufficient knurling, beautiful design, has TIR optics, belt clip, great runtime in both modes...

I already have 2 of them, but I´ll gonna miss it anyway.

tsl

Enlightened
Sad news...

For me Surefire E1L is the best EDC light ever! It´s small, powerful, 2 modes (with low first), natural colored HA, sufficient knurling, beautiful design, has TIR optics, belt clip, great runtime in both modes...

I already have 2 of them, but I´ll gonna miss it anyway.

I only recently got the current E1L, and it is a very nice light. I think that it being discontinued is only conjecture at this point.

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
I was interested to see this thread because I have, this morning, received my E1L back from Surefire after sending it in for repair. I have had the light for 6 months or so but I noticed that the TIR optic appeared to have small fragments of glass coming loose inside. Surefire took it back (no questions asked - from the UK - now that's what I call customer service). It now looks perfect - with a KX1B head! Perhaps the KX1 is being discontinued ..

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Lucky Jim: Do you notice any difference in performance with the KX1B head?

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
Lucky Jim: Do you notice any difference in performance with the KX1B head?

I did wonder about this - but I no longer have my KX1 head to compare it to! I did put it up against my 110 lumens E1B on a white wall and the difference on high appears to be significantly less than was the case with the KX1.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lucky Jim. It seems like the newer head has higher output. I wonder if the regulation/runtime is the same. Has anyone else done comparisons between the new and old heads?