Far Throwing AA Light

bpollard

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

last year i purchased a Fenix TK70 for picking out foxes on my dad's farm in rural Australia. it works great, throws far, has decent run time.
the problem is that my dad cannot use it by himself as it won't fit to the rifle. so i need something with around 60k candela that is small enough to fit to the barrel or scope.
i know i could get a Tiable A9 or a dereelight, both of which would be great, but they run off Li-ion batteries and i'd like to use the charger for the Nimh we have for the fenix.

any ideas oh great and knowledgable flashaholics?

decra

Newly Enlightened
You could probably lego a Dereelight C2H with adaptor and aspheric. Just make sure you get the low voltage pill. Not quite sure if it would hit your 60 Kcd requirement, but I'm sure it would be a pretty sweet thrower.

bpollard

Newly Enlightened
the Javelin with Asheric head is the latest thing i've been looking at, but have to be careful of the voltage like you said.
anyone got any idea of the lux with this setup? plus/minus 4k is fine

thanks for your help

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Javelin with Asheric head is the latest thing i've been looking at, but have to be careful of the voltage like you said.
anyone got any idea of the lux with this setup? plus/minus 4k is fine

thanks for your help

Combining DBS aspheric head with XR-E R2 EZ900 driven at 1.5A will net you something like 90,000 lux.

Or, to put it bluntly, about 600 meters of throw.

bpollard

Newly Enlightened
Combining DBS aspheric head with XR-E R2 EZ900 driven at 1.5A will net you something like 90,000 lux.

Or, to put it bluntly, about 600 meters of throw.

Wow, 90k, thats quite alot. i think that's thw way to go. thanks for everyone's help

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that with 1.2v Nimh batteries (as per the OP request) ?

naah, nothing that runs on AA's got that much lux! 40k range is done by the TK41, but that takes 8xAA's to get that kind of output. No thanks though, too many cells... imagine the cells you have to carry to have a backup for this light? And since it's such a high output light, runtime's are not that ideal.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look Eagletac P100A2 or P20A2 both with XP-E for throw, of the two the P20A2 is better quality and has just a ever slight edge in throw but for the price the P100 has always been one of the best bang for buck light's.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Look Eagletac P100A2 or P20A2 both with XP-E for throw, of the two the P20A2 is better quality and has just a ever slight edge in throw but for the price the P100 has always been one of the best bang for buck light's.

After owning both of them I can't really vouch for this.
The P100A2 has just as good of quality. I know, I compared both the XP-E R2 P100A2 and the XR-E P20A2. Quality is the same just different design.
The older lux numbers are from the older version the the P100A2(Q5 Bin) that everyone quotes. The R2 bin(now R3) for the P100A2 can throw a little further then the P20A2.
I've owned nothing but the 2AA "throwers" and I still prefer XP-E/XR-E in terms of beam profile.

In the end, I have said this many times. I realized last year the "2AA throwers" all throw to around the same area not using aspherics. It's not going to be much different. I don't know any other compact lights without aspherics that can throw that far.

Last edited:

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
The only AA thrower I have is the JetBeam Jet-I-Pro Cree R2 v3

Its a great light, compact, good output and throw. Its hard to find a good compact thrower since everyone is starting to use larger LEDs.