Jetbeam RRT-01 - My 2 Lumens...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Hi, and welcome to this edition of... My 2 Lumens. There will be plenty of more detailed and technically qualified reviews out there so this is only intended to be a super quick overview to temper my giddyness with a new light purchase :) Just remember these are my opinions and are subjective. The idea is to cut through the glossy photos and brochures to give you a simple laymans overview -- perhaps draw out some discussion.

If you want more technical details like "is it PWM, how many amps does it draw... etc" please see Selfbuilt or other long standing member reviews (coming). Sometimes I'll put the mA draw information on different modes if I want to know (or are asked).

Model: Jetbeam RRT-01
Battery: XTAR 16340 600mAH
Rated Lumens: 500 (20min, RCR123A), 220 (1h30min, CR123A) 0.005 (100hr, CR123A)
SOS / Strobe: "Hidden" SOS
Multi Mode: Infinitely variable
Reflector: Smooth "two-section curved reflector"
Beam: Bright spot with wide spill. Multiple rings with visible purple fringing.
Finish: Slightly textured "charcoal" black HA III aluminum

Notable Features:
- comes with screwed Ti clip
- SS bezel
- different lanyard, black with logo (as opposed to dark green one)
- pleasant tint, ever so slightly more green/neutral than several SWM V10A/R T6 compared
- small size
- nice deeper knurling (as compared to RRT-0)
- twist ring has shorter travel than RRT-0 but slightly longer than V10R
- deep knurled twist ring can be activated with one hand
- noticable detents at standby and turbo
- wider spill than V10A/R T6 and RRT-0 XML SMO

Quirks:
- does not tail stand well due to slightly protruding lanyard button
- will not tail stand (straight) well at all if the lanyard is attached
- "ringy" smooth reflector may be the contributor to the very ringy beam pattern. Might also contribute to the purple fringing at the edges.
- IVR ring has up/downward play
- IVR ring has a gritty feel when twisting

I Like it Because: It's small, barely bigger than the Ti clip itself. A good 4mm smaller than the V10R T6. Charcoal color and slight texture is nice.
I Dislike it Because: To be honest if it didn't have the Ti clip or the SS bezel, I would give it low marks for execution. Somehow it just feels "toyish".

Additional Comments: In my pictures you can see I do have a few other comparable lights (not all shown). Somehow I feel it's only a minor step up from the Quark 123 (pictured). I can't put my finger on it but my gut feel is it doesn't deserve the asking price.

Other Technical Reviews: None yet. Let me know and I'll add it here.

--------------------------------------------

Current Draw:

Meter: Sigmatron SDM-58A
Battery: XTAR 16340 600mAH

Low: TBD
Turbo: TBD

--------------------------------------------

Please excuse the iPhone pictures!

hidcanadarrt0101.jpg

hidcanadarrt0103.jpg

hidcanadarrt0102.jpg

hidcanadarrt0104.jpg

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this light, but I wish they used an OP or LOP reflector to smooth out the beam. I want to buy it, but I am so afraid I'll hate the ringy beam.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I've been playing with it the past few hours (and the whole day) and its growing on me... Especially the size but I still can't knock the feeling of it being like a toy.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
My RRT-0 XML is left at work (hopefully still there) so here's a V10R T6...

Notice smaller spill but smoother, among other things.

d83a5866-121f-6b0d.jpg

Lighteous

Enlightened
I really like this light, but I wish they used an OP or LOP reflector to smooth out the beam. I want to buy it, but I am so afraid I'll hate the ringy beam.

I've had mine since Monday and I really like it. I never use lanyards so the manner in which a lanyard compromises its ability to tailstand will not be an issue for me. I do not find the slight protrusion of the lanyard connection post to be a detriment to tailstanding, but I recognize that it has a minor impact. As for the beam, I too would prefer a LOP reflector. The beam on my RRT-0 is smoother but the RRT-01 beam is still very nice and I really don't notice any beam rings unless I am trying to see them. While it is very small, I don't get the toyish feel that the OP does (no disrespect) and find the light to be very solidly built with excellent fit and finish. The SS bezel makes for a nice contrast. The only negative comment I have is that the clip abrasively rubs against the body when you unscrew the head to replace the battery. To guard against scratching I stick a business card between the clip and body when changing the battery. Otherwise, I am very happy with this light.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
F
I've had mine since Monday and I really like it. I never use lanyards so the manner in which a lanyard compromises its ability to tailstand will not be an issue for me. I do not find the slight protrusion of the lanyard connection post to be a detriment to tailstanding, but I recognize that it has a minor impact. As for the beam, I too would prefer a LOP reflector. The beam on my RRT-0 is smoother but the RRT-01 beam is still very nice and I really don't notice any beam rings unless I am trying to see them. While it is very small, I don't get the toyish feel that the OP does (no disrespect) and find the light to be very solidly built with excellent fit and finish. The SS bezel makes for a nice contrast. The only negative comment I have is that the clip abrasively rubs against the body when you unscrew the head to replace the battery. To guard against scratching I stick a business card between the clip and body when changing the battery. Otherwise, I am very happy with this light.

The rubbing is the first thing I noticed and I immediately took some clear nail polish to the clip contact point. I do this to all lights, actually (especially high polish SS or Ti). When opening or closing, you have to hold open the clip so it doesn't rub. I like the "stick a business card" technique.

About the "toy" feeling, it may be the company it keeps. I have more flashlights than blades of grass in my lawn (ok, it only feels this way :) ) and the only place it seems to slot in is beside the Quark... and I have certainly feelings about those. The problem is the RRT-01 being an IVR light slots in with the V10A, V10R, and related company. In that space, I feel it comes off as toyish. One plus is the new styling is in my opinion, better than the V11R and the Ti clip with SS bezel accent PLUS the charcoal finish lends itself well to an executive coat pocket. Like I said, those two things are a real redeeming factor here. I'm growing to like it. "My 2 Lumens" is just a quick initial gut feeling and subject to change, much like my thoughts on 4Seven's lights...

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The current company it keeps this week:

4ad5bedb-a874-373a.jpg

Loving the Preon's...

4ad5bedb-a88e-b8c3.jpg

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Ah one more thing. I notice there is a dead zone of about 20 deg in the twist before the light turns on. This actually shortens the travel quite a bit and almost inline with the SWM V10x series.

Lighteous

Enlightened
Ah one more thing. I notice there is a dead zone of about 20 deg in the twist before the light turns on. This actually shortens the travel quite a bit and almost inline with the SWM V10x series.

I have also noticed the "dead zone" when turning on the light before it energizes. Once it comes on you can dial it back to the most incredible low that I have on any of my lights. I also notice that the control ring has a grittier feel than its cousin, the RRT-0. It has the same feel that the Nitecore IFE1 has. IMO it's not a bad characteristic, however, and it may help to prevent accidental turn-on while in a pocket.

Thanks for the "My 2 Lumens" review! Nice job!

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Precision.

The RRT-01 allows me to dial in to a specific brightness much quicker with one hand and with more accuracy than any of the 4 RRT-0 I have to compare, or a dozen Sunwayman V10 series. The latter barely gives you sufficient grip for one hand "dialing" as it is.

I'm starting to think the "toy" feeling comes with how they designed the IVR ring. The knurling on the ring is "massive" compared to the size of the light.

One point. I'm really, really liking the semi-rough charcoal color finish.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Well, on a cruise now and had to choose some lights. Of over 50 lights of various types (including nearly all of the Fenix/Sunwayman line), I choose the RRT-01, Preon 0 Satin Ti HCRI pared with a USB Eneloop charger and XTAR MP2 charger. Tossed in the small USB solar panel just because.

Bear in mind although the RRT-01 edged out everyone else, I would have taken the Haiku HCRI if it made it here in time :/

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Reading in several places about the "ringy" beam got me thinking and remembering... FlashlightLens sells lens' with diffusion film applied - that may work to smooth the beam but will make the light floodier also. Can't wait till my RRT-01 arrives to see how it looks and maybe measure the lens to see if replacements are available. (I've had great success with their products in the past)

Lighteous

Enlightened
Reading in several places about the "ringy" beam got me thinking and remembering... FlashlightLens sells lens' with diffusion film applied - that may work to smooth the beam but will make the light floodier also. Can't wait till my RRT-01 arrives to see how it looks and maybe measure the lens to see if replacements are available. (I've had great success with their products in the past)

I suppose this light is "ringy" if you try hard to see the rings. Because it is my newest light, I've used it a lot over the last week both indoors and out. For me not only is the ringy beam not an issue, I don't even notice it. What I do notice is a very easy to use, solid and nice looking compact light that screams on high and barely whispers on low. I have a passion for single cell CR/RCR 123 lights and this light is one of the best. I rank it above it's brother, the RRT-0, the Sunwayman V10R-Ti, Nitecore IFE1, Zebralight SC31 and the Thrunite Neutron 1C. Okay, it's below my HDS Rotary, but it's easier to use and carry.... This light is a winner!

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Well, the bottom line is I like it. My 2 Lumens is based on initial guy feelings and they have been overridden by running it for a dozen plus days and on a cruise (beaming into the darkness).

All I wish for is an even harder detent in the off position or a tail switch.

Of course, when the V11R LE high cri arrives, we'll see how that goes (and against the mcgizmo).

Dan FO

Enlightened
I like the "dead Zone". If it does accidentally turn on it does not actually come on. ;) The SS bezel and Ti clip are striking. The knurling on the ring is perfect. Mine tail stands fine and I also use the business card trick when replacing the battery although the Ti will not scratch HAIII anodizing because it is 10 times harder than the Ti. If you notice a ring it is just titanium residue on top of the anodizing and will wipe right off. ;) I am glad I did not buy the Ti model because the aluminum is lighter for pocket carry and aluminum is a much better heat sink especially if you have to use it at 500 lumens. This light is well worth the money. I do not notice any rings in real world use and my beam is pure white with no purple or green. I like it better than my V10R Ti in actual use although it is a fine light without the problems of the +.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened

I have the Ti version. The beam really isn't that ringy, it's very similar to the beam of the V10r Ti+, which has an OP reflector. You really don't notice the rings unless you point it at a wall and look for them.

To chime in about the weight, I'm curious about how light the RRT-01 is in hand. The TCR-1 is a featherweight compared to the V10r Ti+, surprising since it seems equally solid in build.

Also curious about how difficult the RRT-01/TCR-1 is to disassemble. It would be nice to be able to adjust the feel of the ring with a different quantity/type of grease.

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
To chime in about the weight, I'm curious about how light the RRT-01 is in hand. The TCR-1 is a featherweight compared to the V10r Ti+, surprising since it seems equally solid in build.

I have both the TCR1 and RRT-01. Weighed them on the same digital postal scale with an AW 18350 installed:

RRT-01 with AW IMR 18350: 2.3 oz
TCR-1 with AW IMR 18350: 3.1 oz

The RRT-01 feels significantly lighter in the hand than the TCR1.

The ring on the RRT-01 also feels different. It is slightly gritty and makes a noticeable grinding sound if turned rapidly. It has a noticeable detente at each end, but actually takes less force to turn than the TCR1. With the RRT-01 I can easily flick the ring from off to max with one hand in one motion. If I try to turn it at max speed the ring will move so quickly it makes a clicking sound as it hits the stop at either end.

The ring on the TCR1 uses a thicker grease. Its ring is completely silent, but is noticeably harder to turn than the ring on the RRT-01. It's much harder to "flick" the ring from off to max in a fraction of a second than the RRT-01. In practice I found it would sometimes take 2 turns of the fingers rather than 1 to turn the TCR1's ring from off to max (compared to just 1 with the RRT-01). The rings on both lights have the same 120 degree travel distance. I'm not sure if the extra effort required to turn the TCR1's ring is because of thicker grease, or because the ring is harder to hold onto than the knurled ring on the RRT-01.

Overall, I like both lights. I like the feel and weight of the RRT-01, but I like the looks, toughness and silent operation of the TCR1.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Final note. The RRT-01 wins out for me. But primarily because of the clip. What this means is when I swap the high CRI emitter from the V11R into the V10R Ti+, it should be just about perfect (with new screws and polished switch).

Still, the RRT-01 seems like a more refined execution than the V11R.

4ad5bedb-5025-7fe7.jpg