• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Custom Delrin switch parts for Sunwayman V10R Ti + and V11R LED lights

wquiles

Flashaholic

Nov 2012 - I sold my last V10R parts many months ago, and have not had enough interest to make a new batch, so unfortunately I don't have any parts to sell at this time.

Parts/services for the Sunwayman V10R Ti+ and V11R

1) PART 1 - Replacement button cover (kit) for both the V10R Ti+ and the V11R
Myself and many others recently received the wonderful Sunwayman V10R Ti+ LED lights, however, the factory Titanium button cover rubs against the Titanium retainer ring, which ruins the feel of this great light. Some have been fortunate that by polishing the Ti button cover and the Ti retaining ring, they eliminate most of the problem, but for many of us even that does not solve the problem. I decided to make a Delrin replacement part to try and see if it would work better, and it turns out to work much better than the Ti part. I gotten enough emails from folks interested to get these made, so I am starting this sales thread in response to that interest.

Delrin is very strong, but not as strong as Titanium, so I had to make the wall thickness greater than on the Ti part in order to make the replacement part strong/durable. I also had to come up with a slightly thinner spacer to replace the factory (white) part in order to still have the top of the new Delrin button cover to sit flush with the tailcap. I am not showing every single step to make these, but here is a short pictorial.

Installed:
DSCF8123.JPG

Final shot:
DSCF8126.JPG

Here are the steps for "production" quality parts that I have available for sale. Lots of steps and various tools are needed to get these done properly with close tolerances:
DSCF8128.JPG

DSCF8129.JPG

DSCF8130.JPG

DSCF8131.JPG

DSCF8132.JPG

DSCF8133.JPG

Finished "production" parts:
DSCF8135.JPG

DSCF8136.JPG

Fits perfectly flush:
DSCF8137.JPG

NOTE: When installing the new spacer, make sure it is pressed all the way down to the switch. Also, make sure that when you re-assemble everything with my new Delrin button cover that you really screw the Titanium retaining ring (the part with threads) as tightly as possible so that the button sits flush with the tailcap.

I am selling these "kits" for $30 each (each means a kit of one spacer and one button cover), plus shipping, with a money back guarantee (except for shipping costs).

If interested first post here in this thread, AND send me an email (in my signature) for Paypal and shipping details. Paypal address is the same as the email in my signature.

Shipping options:
- Domestic USA first class - up to 2 kits - $4 (insurance is not included)
- Domestic USA priority - up to 2 kits - $7 (insurance is not included)
- International first class - up to 2 kits - $6 (insurance is not included)
- International priority - up to 2 kits - $15 (insurance is not included)

PLEASE include your forum name with your Paypal payment and make sure the address comes through.

Maximum 2x kits per person (second one ships for free).

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

2) PART 2 - replacement retaining ring kit both the V10R Ti+ and the V11R
These are the replacement retaining rings for the Sunwayman V10R Ti+/V11R. These are custom made, Delrin replacement retaining rings, which allow the use of the stock/metal button cover. Zero binding, completely smooth, no sound, no gritty feel. In my humble opinion this is what the factory should have done instead of the horrible metal retaining rings. So now you can either get a replacement Delrin button kit from me, or these new custom Delrin retainers - but keep in mind that they can't fit together at the same time.

DSCF8307.JPG

DSCF8308.JPG

In this first batch I made 4x of them (well, 5x, but I like it so much that I am keeping one for my own V10R Ti +):
DSCF8310.JPG

To swap these you must completely remove the head, battery, clip, and clip screws. If you are going to put the screws back, note that they will press against the new Delrin retaining ring (not visible, plus that area although threaded does not engage the threads, so no problem):
DSCF8312.JPG

As you can see here the replacement retaining ring is slightly taller:
DSCF8262.JPG

These come with the same thinner black Delrin spacer as in the button cover kit, so these retaining rings are also a kit, composed of the new retaining ring AND the thinner spacer. The thinner spacer simply replaces the thick white spacer that sits on top of the switch.

These parts take longer to machine in my manual lathe due to the threading operation and milling operation:
DSCF8259.JPG

DSCF8237.JPG

DSCF8239.JPG

When installing these, PLEASE make sure you don't cross thread the soft Delrin retaining ring. With the thin spacer starting the thread engagement goes easy. If it feels really tight when starting, it means it is not aligned just right (the whole first turn should be relatively easy as things in the switch assembly are starting to get compressed a bit) - try again and make sure the ring is fairly flat and go easy.

Pricing for retaining ring kit:
Price for each kit is $40/each plus shipping (insurance optional). Shipping options:

PLEASE include your forum name with your Paypal payment and make sure the address comes through.

(I also just got a V11R, and I am happy to report that YES, these rings fit on the VR11 as well :devil: )
DSCF8402.JPG

DSCF8403.JPG

Important note: Since the factory dimensions were sloppy with the stock metal retaining ring and metal button, I changed the dimensions on my replacement button cover and retaining ring in order to get smoother operation.

- Delrin button cover: I made the Delrin replacement button cover slightly larger outside diameter to that it would fit inside the larger metal ring - a combo that produces smooth operation without binding.

- Delrin retainer ring: Since the factory retaining ring has an inner diameter which is too big/wide, the replacement Delrin retainer ring I designed with a smaller inside diameter to cope with the narrow factory metal button. This again gives you smooth operation without binding.

What does all of this means? Since I compensated the Delrin button by making it wider and compensated the Delrin retaining ring by making it narrower, you can't use together both the Delrin replacement button with the Delrin replacement retaining ring. You can only use one of the other, but not both together.

My most sincere apologies if this causes anyone grief/problems - I just want to be upfront about it.

I am also experimenting with Bearing Bronze as a material for retaining rings: - email me directly if interested in learning more about these.
DSCF8392.JPG

DSCF8393.JPG

DSCF8397.JPG

I made 8x of these bronze rings - I finished the first batch of 4x on Fri and the last 4x yesterday: it just takes me a long time to make these by hand. I have been using one of these bronze rings on my personal V10R Ti+, as I wanted to use it for a couple of days to get a good basis of comparison. That was the other reason I also recently bought the V11R as I wanted to have another ring, another button, and another host to test/tweak my offerings, and have more OEM parts to fine-tune the design of the bronze pieces - to make sure things would work properly.

All that being said, no, the bronze ring does not perform better than the Delrin ring - it is just plain physics as the coefficient of friction (posted earlier in the thread) is just lower for Delrin. The Delrin is much more slippery than even the bearing bronze that I am using. Now, bearing bronze parts are MUCH better than the poorly finished OEM titanium pieces, so yes, going to bronze is an improvement. In fact I came up with a 1 to 10 scale to compare all solutions I have tried so far:

Functionality-wise:
1 = horrible, non-functional, would return the light instantly
3-4 = stock Ti ring and Ti button
7-8 = Bronze ring with Ti button - being metal on metal there "is" a slight rubbing sound - not much at all, but not like with Delrin which is totally quiet/smooth
9 = Delrin ring with Ti button - nearly perfect
10= outstanding design, perfect in every way

Of course, style-wise, the bronze ring looks much, much better in person than the Delrin ring. No contest there as the bronze looks like it "belongs" in there, compared to the black Delrin which does not look as "fancy" - purely subjective :D

The main reason I give the bronze piece a 7-8 vs. the 9 on the scale, is that if you purposely press the button at an angle with force, you will get a little bit of the metal on metal noise. Not a lot, not even close to the metal OEM parts, but it is not completely quiet like the Delrin. The better news is that the more you use the button, the more smooth it becomes, as the Ti lightly wears down and mates with the bronze ring. So it is like "7" to start with, and then gets to like an "8" after is used a while. But the bronze will never be completely quiet like the Delrin.

They are both easy to work with, but it takes me a little bit longer to make parts out of bronze. But the biggest challenge is the mess and cleaning that machining bronze makes - it is like 2x to 3x more time consuming to clean up after working with bronze - there are chips everywhere within a 2-3 foot radius of my lathe. Here is a brief pictorial ...
DSCF8366.JPG

DSCF8369.JPG

DSCF8374.JPG

DSCF8376.JPG

DSCF8378.JPG

DSCF8379.JPG

DSCF8386.JPG

DSCF8387.JPG

to end with this:
DSCF8388.JPG

Lots of chips everywhere:
DSCF8370.JPG

DSCF8371.JPG

DSCF8372.JPG

So Delrin is a better material for this application and cheaper for me to make, but bronze looks better and it is more expensive to make so I have to price them higher than the Delrin parts.

DSCF8424.JPG

Pricing for bearing bronze retaining ring kit:
Price for each kit is $60/each plus shipping (insurance optional). Shipping options:

******************************************************************************************************

Instructions on how to install the button "kit" on both the V10R Ti+ and V11R (same instructions for the replacement retaining ring)

First, make sure to completely remove the clip:
DSCF8146.JPG

Remove the body from the rest of the light - no battery, no head. With the body flat on a surface, use thin nose pliers to remove the retaining ring. I am a lefty, so first photo shows my left hand on the pliers, second photo shows my hand keeping the body steady/level:
DSCF8147.JPG

DSCF8148.JPG

Once parts come out, this is the proper order in which they go back in:
DSCF8149.JPG

Note that the new black Delrin spacer needs to sit flush with the switch (might need to press it down - gently):
DSCF8150.JPG

Next line up the rubber booth with the new Delrin button cover:
DSCF8151.JPG

Position the retainer ring on top. The Delrin button cover is of much closer tolerances than the original metal button cover, but it will fit (I allowed some clearance):
DSCF8152.JPG

Put the metal wave washer inside the body, then the switch with the new thin Black Delrin spacer, and then while trying to keep the booth, Delrin cover, and retaining ring as one unit - place back in the body of the light:
DSCF8153.JPG

The best tip I can think off to prevent cross threading is to thread the piece in two steps:
1) Start screwing the ring backwards first, very slowly, until you feel the slight bump of the threads aligning. What I do is that I keep the thin-nose pliers aligned and steady, and rotate the body against a flat surface (bench), which ensures that the alignment from the pliers remains true.
2) Then start screwing the part normally, which should go really easy now since the threads were aligned by the prior state.

Since we are trying to align the threads, I use something lighter (tweezers) to help guide the retaining ring while engaging the threads. Again, keep the body vertical and flat against the table:
DSCF8154.JPG

If you do NOT completely screw back in the retaining ring, the button will NOT be flush with the tailcap:
DSCF8155.JPG

When you continue to screw the retaining ring until it stops (basically when the wave washers is fully flat/compressed), then the button will be flush:
DSCF8156.JPG

Since the new Delrin piece might still be a little bit tight, go ahead and activate the new switch 10-20 times for the Delrin piece to become fitted to the metal retaining ring - the more you use it, the smoother it will become:
DSCF8157.JPG

That is all. Enjoy your V10R Ti+ :party:

Will

PS - I am also offering 18mm cell boring and Nichia 219 swap services - email me for details

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Custom Delrin Button Covers for Sunwayman V10R Ti +

Part 1 - replacement button kit:
first batch:
1. karlthev - PAID! - shipped!
2. mojanjude - PAID! - shipped!
3. tatteredmidnight - PAID! - shipped!
4. dy5 - PAID! - shipped!

Second batch IS READY, so please DO send Paypal ASAP. Cost for First Class shipping in a padded envelope is $2.50 (continental USA), or $5.50 for priority - please add shipping to the $30 for each kit.

PLEASE include your forum name with payment.

list for next wave:
1) walterr839 - PAID! - shipped!
2) seahunt - PAID! - shipped!
3) FLGUY - PAID! - shipped!
4) QuailRider - PAID! - shipped!
5) troutpool - PAID! - shipped!
6)

Part 2 = Delrin retaining ring kit
Wave #1 - 4 kits - all gone!
1. Nake - PAID! - Shipped!
2. Hiro - PAID! - Shipped!
3. FLGUY - PAID! - Shipped!
4. Chris - PAID! - Shipped!

Wave #2 - 6-kits - all gone!
1. tatteredmidnight - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
2. stoli67 - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
3. stoli67 - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
4. mohandude - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
5. troutpool - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
6. walterr839 - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!

Wave #3 - 7x kits - all gone!
Please DO send Paypal if your name is here:
Please add the appropriate shipping charges AND your forum name with your Paypal payment:
1. dougr - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
2. rda1 - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
3. TurboTalon - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
4. bkrontz - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
5. mr.snakeman - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
6. mr.snakeman - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
7. F250XLT - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!

OK guys, the next batch (wave #4) is ready:
DSCF8400.JPG

Wave #4 - 7x kits - some still available

Please DO send Paypal if your name is here:
Please add the appropriate shipping charges AND your forum name with your Paypal payment:

1. fyrstormer - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!
2. somnambulated - 1x - PAID! - Shipped!

Waiting list for Delrin retaining ring:
(Please DO NOT send payment until I have these ready to ship)

Bearing Bronze retaining kits - 8x available:
DSCF8424.JPG

1. stoli67 - PAID!

(I moved the instructions to post #1 to keep this post easier to read/maintain)

(I am also offering 18mm cell boring and Nichia 219 swap services - email me for details)

Will

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take one if you can ship it for a few dollars airmail (last time I checked it was $ 3.98)

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened

I'm in 100%

[EDIT] mail sent, oh how i want one of these! Hope this reserves me a spot!

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic

Guys, I got emails, but except for Karl, "nowhere" a mention of who you are in the forums, so I have no idea who here in this thread sent me an email.

PLEASE put your forum name in the emails so that I can tie the email to the post (same goes about sending Paypal - put your forum name on the Paypal) :D

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic

I will take one if you can ship it for a few dollars airmail (last time I checked it was $ 3.98)

I can certainly send this worldwide, but I will not know how much it is until I get there to the post office. What if it is more than $3.98?

If you want you can send me $5, and I will refund if it was less.

Will

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will send you $5 and don't worry about refunding it. Rocket tomato sends me Norland optical adhesive bottles regularly with 3.98 stuck on the envelope. PayPal to the address at the bottom of your post?

wquiles

Flashaholic

I will send you $5 and don't worry about refunding it. Rocket tomato sends me Norland optical adhesive bottles regularly with 3.98 stuck on the envelope. PayPal to the address at the bottom of your post?

Sounds like a plan. Yes, Paypal address is same as email address.

Will

That is really a super cool mod, and a hugely descriptive thread. As soon as I reacquire one of these gems I'll jump on board. Thanks for that great contribution!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered the stock Aluminum version a while back, but sent it straight to Precisionworks for experimentation so don't have it on me to confirm. Would these spacers fit the aluminum version? If I recall correctly the AL version uses a soft press boot cover, and I'd prefer something more solid like delrin, or even one of the titanium covers...

wquiles

Flashaholic

That is really a super cool mod, and a hugely descriptive thread. As soon as I reacquire one of these gems I'll jump on board. Thanks for that great contribution!

Would these spacers fit the aluminum version? If I recall correctly the AL version uses a soft press boot cover, and I'd prefer something more solid like delrin, or even one of the titanium covers...
Unfortunately I don't know since I don't have an Aluminum version. These Delrin button covers might fit other/prior V10R's, but until I can get/borrow the prior/older V10R, it is safer to assume my Delrin button cover only works on the V10R Ti+.

Will

seahunt

Enlightened

I'm in for one set.
E-mail follows.
Thank you!
Chuck

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will, I have offered my spot in this run to Karl if that's okay, perhaps I can get on the list for a future run.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately I don't know since I don't have an Aluminum version. These Delrin button covers might fit other/prior V10R's, but until I can get/borrow the prior/older V10R, it is safer to assume my Delrin button cover only works on the V10R Ti+.

As mentioned previously Barry has mine for his evil ways. If you like I can arrange to send it over to you just to see? Obviously not overly important, so probably won't happen until Barry's finished with it.

wquiles

Flashaholic

I'm in for one set.
E-mail follows.
Thank you!
Chuck
Got you on the list :D

Will, I have offered my spot in this run to Karl if that's okay, perhaps I can get on the list for a future run.
Sure - that sounds fine.

Karl - send Payment (most are sending $35 to cover Priority Shipping) to the email in my signature.

As mentioned previously Barry has mine for his evil ways. If you like I can arrange to send it over to you just to see? Obviously not overly important, so probably won't happen until Barry's finished with it.
Sure, I would not mind taking a look and making some careful measurements on the V10R you have.

Will

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened

I'm still waiting for my V10R+ to arrive but if the button operation is gritty I'd be in for a set.