USPS iPhone app, check it out...

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using this app recently, and it works very well. You can manually add tracking info for packages you are expecting, and you can scan the actual label on outgoing. It allows you to add a nickname to everything, so it's easier to keep track. The updates are spot on, and it's free.

Home screen

7067926617_a705e7b03a.jpg

Here is where it shows all packages being tracked, you can delete upon delivery.

6921845590_2bdf1ca8e3.jpg

And the detailed info for each package, you can scroll down all the way to it's origin.

6921845634_5fa697c4b8.jpg

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that is nice! This is actually a surprise for me. USPS is just so archaic with their business model. We need them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep up with the times. This app is certainly a step in that direction.

Thanks for sharing.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that is nice! This is actually a surprise for me. USPS is just so archaic with their business model. We need them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep up with the times. This app is certainly a step in that direction.

Thanks for sharing.

Give it a try, I think you will like it.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Looks pretty good... but it doesn't change the fact that USPS' tracking is no where near as detailed or reliable as FedEx or UPS.

I use an app called DeliveryStatus, that handles tracking for just about every shipping firm on the planet. That's all it does, unlike that USPS app, but it does it VERY well.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Looks pretty good... but it doesn't change the fact that USPS' tracking is no where near as detailed or reliable as FedEx or UPS.

I consider tracking performance to be proportional to cost. The private carriers offer exceptional tracking but you pay more for slower service. Knowing its exactly half way across the country is usually not as good as having it in hand.

Back OT, the app also has special powers like ordering free supplies in quantities not allowed on the web USPS site.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I've been using the app for a while now. Comes in handy when I forget to ask people what their zip code is when getting their address. It'll use the GPS to figure out what zip code of the area I'm in or I can enter an address and it'll give it to me that way as well.

Probably not a useful feature for most people but it's the one I use the most. (Yes, I could remember to ask people what their zip code is...)

Gryffin

Enlightened
I consider tracking performance to be proportional to cost. The private carriers offer exceptional tracking but you pay more for slower service. Knowing its exactly half way across the country is usually not as good as having it in hand.

The tracking serves an important secondary function: accountability. If a package disappears somewhere, FedEx and UPS know who last scanned it. Which is probably why I've never lost a FedEx shipment, only one UPS shipment, but several USPS shipments over the last 15 years or so.

That said, yeah, this app looks pretty cool, and I'm gonna give it a go.