Does the Klarus XT20 kick down on high after a preset period to protect itself?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Klarus XT11 and I am wondering before I would buy one whether the output kicks down to protect the light against heat damage just like the XT11 does?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the discharge graph in this review (which comes from the Klarus website) there does not seem to be an output step-down.
My guess though the graph having hours rather than minutes is not very detailed and a step-down after a few minutes might just not be visible.

Edit: Actually there seems to be a step-down after 3 minutes, just read this review!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A Step down is to allow you to use a long blast of the brightest output possible...rather than regulating the light to only output what it could for the entire 2 hours, etc.

This is like having a car with nitrous. It has a boosted mode that will give you all its got, and then, throttle back after it needs to - to not die trying.

This works if you mostly use a light at closer range etc...and just need a bit more to see what went bump once in a while, etc...as opposed to needing the light to be on max for a long long time (Your entire shift, etc...).

If you need what the XT20 puts out on max/turbo ALL the time, then you need a bigger light to start with...so the kick down is down TO what you need as a baseline amount of light.

IE: If you need nitrous to get around ALL DAY, you probably need a larger engine.

:D

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the discharge graph in this review (which comes from the Klarus website) there does not seem to be an output step-down.
My guess though the graph having hours rather than minutes is not very detailed and a step-down after a few minutes might just not be visible.

Edit: Actually there seems to be a step-down after 3 minutes, just read this review!

From that review it states "I did a temperature test to see how well the light handles the heat from the led. When power is turned on the temperature rises fast, when the light steps down after 3 minutes the temperature rise slows down." So it does kick down after 3 minutes.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Klarus confirmed there's step down after 3 min. I've captured that in my runtime chart here.