SWM V10R Ti - Long delay when clicking on, known issue?

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been following SWM long enough to know if this was a problem, so perhaps you all can fill me in. When I click it on, it takes up to 3-5 seconds to activate. Always takes at least half a second. My Ti+ has what I would consider soft start, it activates right away but ramps up instead of instant brightness.

I'd do more of a search, but I only have access with my iPhone currently. Thanks in advance for your help...

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
From memory the V10R does indeed have something like a soft start function, but I've never encountered a delay that long, for me it's about 1/4 second at most.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
From memory the V10R does indeed have something like a soft start function, but I've never encountered a delay that long, for me it's about 1/4 second at most.

Can you be specific on this soft start function ?
Is it for all the V10R's, R5 & XM-L, or Ti & Aluminum version ?

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one I've personally tried out is my Ti V10R, but from what I've read it's the same for all of them since the driver is the same for all of them. It can be quite hard to detect in some cases though.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I use a primary, I get the delay. If I use an RCR, I get instant on.....Any input on this?

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do know that the V10R's circuit is actually boost only (and not buck/boost), so it might be something to do with it going into direct drive as opposed to setting a current level? Does it still happen when the RCR is nearly depleted?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I just checked and can confirm that my V10R Al and my V10R Ti2 come on immediately both with a primary and an RCR123. BTW it was the first time I tried a primary on the Ti2.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I'm using an AW RCR123 in my Ti+ and I would definitely say there is a 'soft' start on all of the lower modes that quasi ramps up. Interestingly enough, there's no delay on max output.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange behavior for sure, is it safe to run RCR's in the V10R Ti?

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered about that myself. Mine has an XP-G so direct drive isn't *that* bad so I can leave it on for 5 minutes, pick it up and not burn myself (just...), but I suspect the problem would be worse with an XM-L's lower Vf and so on.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping it's a fluke, perhaps a new cell that was depleted. I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed a fresh cell out of my supply...perhaps the voltage is too low?

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
Sounds to me like a product defect. Obviously checking with a fresh cell is the first thing to do. If that doesn't resolve it i would contact SWM ( if thats an option, i havn't dealt with their CS ). There is no way that 3-5 seconds of delay for activation should be within spec for any light on any supported cell type.

Its a very strange set of symptoms though. Could be a bum capacitor, which is probably what i'd guess. Maybe it takes that long to charge the capacitor at the lower voltages, but the higher voltage overcomes its resistance? I'm just guessing here though, I am in IT not electronics so my understanding of these things is limited.

If a fresh Primary doesn't overcome the issue for sure I'd suggest begining the RMA process with SWM, and stick to higher voltage cells or swap it out for that v10r Ti+ you have in your rotation until you can resolve the issue.

-- Adam