What Book are You Reading Now?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A Tale of Two Cities (yes, really), Drift by Rachel Maddow, The Postmoral by Drew Magary, The Second Book of The Tao by Stephen Mitchell.

Don't forget to recommend a book for the season in the Recommend A Book thread..

robolight

Newly Enlightened
Blue Remembered Earth. Alistair Reynolds

The official illustrated NHL History. Arthur Pincus

ThrowModo. A history of Indonesian Komodo Dragon Throwing. Tirso Yap
Apparently Komodo Dragon Throwing has been a sport for ages.
Fascinating reading.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
since i haven't watched tv in more than a decade, there's lots of time to read. just finished. [ < goodreads book link, source of below description by the Author ]

My goal with this book is to provide the ultimate resource for those interested in the science behind the carnivore diet, and guidance for how to eat this way in order to achieve optimal health.

I discuss our ancestral origins as hunters, and how eating animals made us human. I go into detail about plant toxins of all types, where they are found, and how to avoid these toxins. I also discuss the superiority of animal foods in terms of nutrient bioavailability, and I debunk all of the myths about animal foods being bad for us or bad for the environment. At the end of the book, I provide a detailed guide for eating a nose to tail carnivore diet, and I discuss how to avoid the common pitfalls. As a bonus, there are sample meal plans, starter recipes (the cookbook is in the works too!), and resources for obtaining high quality animal foods. The Carnivore Code has everything you need to deeply understand and implement the carnivore diet your ancestors thrived on for the last 4 million years, and is thoroughly substantiated with science with over 350 references

fKib3kh.jpg

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finished Michael Connelly's Mickey Haller #1 and #2 (The Lincoln Lawyer and The Brass Verdict). Reading #3 The Reversal. Mickey Haller, Harry Bosch, Rachel Walling, Jack McEvoy - the gang's all there.

jrgold

Enlightened
Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. Sci Fi series, a blue collar minor finds out the elite "golds" have been lying to everyone on their planet to keep them in check and fights back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppy

Flashaholic
Upon completion of the 12 book series by Bernard Cornwell The Saxon Chronicles
The Saxon Stories (also known as Saxon Tales/Saxon Chronicles in the US and The Warrior Chronicles and most recently as The Last Kingdom series) is a historical novel series written by Bernard Cornwell about the history of Anglo-Saxon England in the ninth and tenth centuries. The protagonist of the series is Uhtred of Bebbanburg, born to a Saxon lord in Northumbria, but captured and adopted by the Danes. The story takes place during the Danish invasions of Britain, when all but one of the English kingdoms are conquered. The name of the fictional protagonist comes from the historical Uhtred the Bold; Cornwell is descended from this long ago family.[1][2]The story centers on the emergence of England as a nation on the island of Britain from the vision and actions of Alfred, later dubbed "the Great". King Alfred of Wessex reluctantly accepts that he cannot drive the invaders from the island, after his defeat at Wilton, and is forced to make peace with them. His heirs consolidate what Alfred begins.
The first six novels in the series were adapted for three seasons of the television series The Last Kingdom, starring Alexander Dreymon. Cornwell subsequently posted a note on his web site: "The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories have been renamed The Last Kingdom series". [3]
The third season of ten episodes was released by Netflix on 19 November 2018.[4] On 26 December 2018, the series was renewed for a fourth season by Netflix.[5]

I read a couple of books of Mary Queen of Scots, One of Henry the 8th, and his daughters, then back to King James VI and I. King of Scotland as James VI from 24 July 1567 and King of England and Ireland as James I from the union of the Scottish and English crowns on 24 March 1603 until his death in 1625.

There was so much bloodshed between the followers of "the nailed God" and the "Old Gods" and then within Christianity depending upon the interpretation of The Bible and who was King or Queen of England at the time, that I decided to read the book and interpret it myself.

I have completed 85% and am about to start The Gospel According to John in the New Testament.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I listen to Fresh Air most every day and on March 31, 2020, Terry Gross interviewed Bart Ehrman. I picked up his new book - Heaven and Hell: A History of the Afterlife - after listening. Ehrman is one of the foremost scholars on the New Testament. The podcast is a great listen, available for free on npr.org.

I'm also reading Search for a whisky bothy by Ralfy. If you drink scotch and don't know Ralfy, for shame. :grin2: It's a great collection of stories and anecdotes from his life. You can find him on YouTube.