Wuben        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bent rear derailleur hanger Airborne titanium frame

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: Bent rear derailleur hanger Airborne titanium frame

Yes, I actually did lube the derailleur and cables with teflon dry lube. My chain tool looks exactly like the first picture in this article. I generally don't remove the pin completely. When I rejoin the chain, I'll use the lower position to push the pin slightly past where it's supposed to be. Generally, the link will be a little tight after I do that. I then use the upper position to push the pin the other way slightly, loosening the tight link in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    .... I generally don't remove the pin completely. When I rejoin the chain, I'll use the lower position to push the pin slightly past where it's supposed to be. Generally, the link will be a little tight after I do that. I then use the upper position to push the pin the other way slightly, loosening the tight link in the process.
    Is this an approved method for your chain? This was the standard procedure for chains back in the days of 5, 6 or 7 speed chains (when they were just a 3/32" wide chain, and eventually SunTour narrowed things up a bit with their "Ultra" spacing to fit 6 cogs onto a 120mm wide hub). I know that Shimano switched to replaceable pins that were intended to avoid damaging the side plates, and SRAM uses a master link that is easy to remove by hand.

If the chain isn't built to have the pins re-used, then I'd recommend switching to something like the SRAM with a master link. Re-using pins on most modern chains risks damage to the side link, which means it can pull off of the pin and jam up in the derailleurs. I had this happen on a new bike and it pulled the rear derailleur into the spokes. It's a bad bet to risk a derailleur and possible spoke and frame damage in order to avoid the cost of a master link or replacement pin.

regards,
    Steve K.

The 'approved' method is to use a new pin. Shimano has replacement pins for each of the different size chains they make. The replacement pins have guide portion that you break off after the new pin is inserted. The reason that they don't want you to use the old pin is that old pin has part of the end sheared off when it it removed. If you think of the pin looking like a dumbbell, one side will be smaller after it is pushed through. If you push this pin through again, starting with the large side first, you can shear that off as well.

The newer Shimano chains have an inside and outside. They still use the replacement pin.
    Last edited by will; 05-02-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Now I can see the darkness .

*Flashaholic*

I'm aware that 9 and 10-speed, as well as some 8-speed, chains suggest using a replacement pin. In the future I'll do that. For the time being, the chain seems fine. I put 41 miles on the bike so far. I tried to find where I rejoined the chain, but couldn't. I'll examine the chain carefully after every ride for a while just to see if anything looks out of order. For what it's worth, I used my chain tool on the 10-speed chain on my Raleigh when I installed it 5650 miles ago, and all has been well ever since.

BTW, the chain on the Airborne does in fact have a master link which I would use to remove the chain for cleaning, etc. As such, I'm not seeing any need to use the chain tool ever again on this chain.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of chain the bike has but it looks very similar to this.

I tried to find where I rejoined the chain, but couldn't. .
    I cleaned the link to remove the oil on the outside of the link. Then I colored it with a sharpie, not sure how long that will last, but I can still see the marking.

I have an old bike here in Florida. I sent the frame and fork up to NY while I was in NY to repaint it and remove the rust. I used Duplicolor Mirage paint. Purple and Green, It shifts color as the viewing angle changes. Sent it back to Florida and put it back together. I had trouble shifting and found the rear derailleur hangar was slightly bent. I took a look at the Park tool, around $60 - $70 and decided that for the one time it was not worth buying the tool. I figured I could put something together my self, not as good as the Park tool, but good enough. The most difficult part - finding the M10 - 1 bolt to screw into the hangar. That is a metric extra fine thread. I was able to locate them and some M10-1 nuts on ebay. The arm is a 1 inch aluminum angle from Lowe's. I use a small clamp and a pencil for the 'indicator' After around $10 the tool, which is not real elegant, worked fine. I can't bend the hangar using my tool. and I can't slide the indicator on the aluminum angle, but it got me a lot closer to an exact alignment.
    Last edited by will; 12-24-2012 at 03:26 PM.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    I have an old bike here in Florida. I sent the frame and fork up to NY while I was in NY to repaint it and remove the rust. I used Duplicolor Mirage paint. Purple and Green, It shifts color as the viewing angle changes. Sent it back to Florida and put it back together. I had trouble shifting and found the rear derailleur hangar was slightly bent. I took a look at the Park tool, around $60 - $70 and decided that for the one time it was not worth buying the tool. I figured I could put something together my self, not as good as the Park tool, but good enough. The most difficult part - finding the M10 - 1 bolt to screw into the hangar. That is a metric extra fine thread. I was able to locate them and some M10-1 nuts on ebay. The arm is a 1 inch aluminum angle from Lowe's. I use a small clamp and a pencil for the 'indicator' After around $10 the tool, which is not real elegant, worked fine. I can't bend the hangar using my tool. and I can't slide the indicator on the aluminum angle, but it got me a lot closer to an exact alignment.
    Modern derailleurs are actually somewhat tolerant of misalignment, meaning you can be a degree or two off and everything probably will work OK.

Over seven months and 3000+ miles after my realignment, all is still well. The chain broke about a week after I rejoined it. The second time around I used a punch to flatten the end of the pin so it wouldn't slide out again. No problems ever since. In fact, the bike has been largely trouble free other than routine maintenance like brake cables, chain cleaning, occasional truing. Only mishap was a broken rear hub shell but I had put 1500 miles on the wheels, in addition to whatever the original owner put on them. I bought a new set of wheels since I figured I was due.

Good luck with your old bike project. I'm going to refurbish my rusty old Raleigh this winter once I can find someplace to weld the broken rear chainstay. Should be a fun project.

I completely stripped the frame and fork. I tried to get original decals for the bike, no luck with that. I did find a place that makes custom vinyl lettering. Decals would have been better....

maybe a dumb question - My old Schwinn was a 10 speed road bike in its original form. I converted it to a 14 speed with Shimano Indexed Shifting (SIS) . I replaced the down tube shifters with 7 speed SIS and the rear Cogs with 7 speeds. I also put on a Simano 105 rear derailleur. This all works fine. I am pretty sure the shifter and the number of rear cogs should be the same for the SIS to work properly.

Is there any difference in the rear derailleur? Other than long arm or short arm... Is the geometry the same for all rear derailleurs?

*Flashaholic*

maybe a dumb question - My old Schwinn was a 10 speed road bike in its original form. I converted it to a 14 speed with Shimano Indexed Shifting (SIS) . I replaced the down tube shifters with 7 speed SIS and the rear Cogs with 7 speeds. I also put on a Simano 105 rear derailleur. This all works fine. I am pretty sure the shifter and the number of rear cogs should be the same for the SIS to work properly.

Is there any difference in the rear derailleur? Other than long arm or short arm... Is the geometry the same for all rear derailleurs?
    As far as I know, so long as you match the shifter and number of rear cogs you're good to go. You just need to pick a rear derailleur which can handle the range of teeth for your particular setup-long cage for wide range gearing, short cage for typical road bike gearing, medium cage for something in between.

The reason I asked is that I have having a problem getting the bike to shift correctly. I almost always have been able to connect the wire, then a small adjustment and I have been good to go. This time it is giving me problems on the larger cogs.

*Flashaholic*

What type of problem exactly? If it's not shifting to the larger cogs at all, then it might be because the chain is too short. If you're having a problem where the chain isn't centered on the cogs, your shift cable might be binding or perhaps needs lubrication. If the problem is only with the largest cog, then you might need to adjust one of the derailleur limit screws. Another issue with SIS shifters is the cable stretches slightly in the beginning. You might need to readjust everything after a few weeks. Finally, if the chain needs a cleaning then this could be the cause of multiple issues, including not shifting properly.

What type of problem exactly? If it's not shifting to the larger cogs at all, then it might be because the chain is too short.
    The chain is new, the same length as the original. It shifts to the large cogs, but it sometimes rattles there.

If you're having a problem where the chain isn't centered on the cogs, your shift cable might be binding or perhaps needs lubrication.
    This is a new cable, the only housing is in the rear, by the derailleur. lots of oil in it, no binding.

If the problem is only with the largest cog, then you might need to adjust one of the derailleur limit screws.
    I adjusted the limit screws so the derailleur has full travel across all the cogs. I visually center the small wheels on the derailleur with the small and large cog.

Another issue with SIS shifters is the cable stretches slightly in the beginning. You might need to readjust everything after a few weeks.
    It seems that each ride I take, it has to be adjusted, and, the clamp screw is tight.

Finally, if the chain needs a cleaning then this could be the cause of multiple issues, including not shifting properly.
    I had to replace the chain, the original was stretched in a few spots, I would get a 'clunk' when the old chain settled on the cogs.

Anyhow. It shifts fine when I have it upside down and run through all the cogs, ( no bike stand here in Florida ) Getting it out on the road, it will shift pretty good most of the time, but every once in awhile it will rattle between cogs. Tomorrow I will set it back to the small cog, loosen the cable and set the adjustment all the way in. during the ride, I'll start to move the adjustment out until it works OK.

Thanks for the info....

Did I mention this was an old Schwinn Bike? It has downtube shifters. When I refinished the bike and re-installed the shifters, I did not tighten the pivot screws all the way. This in turn allowed the shift lever to angle and as it tries to pull the derailleur to the largest cog.The cable then loses some of its length. This is most likely why I was having problems. I'll know for sure later today when I go out for a quick ride.

Sometimes the simplest things will cause a problem...

Whew - I switched the lever off the SIS and have had no problems. I now suspect there is something wrong with index system in the lever. I had replaced the original one and now I am thinking to put the original back on. No matter how I adjusted the derailleur, I could not get it to work properly with the newer lever.

*Flashaholic*

Did I mention this was an old Schwinn Bike? It has downtube shifters. When I refinished the bike and re-installed the shifters, I did not tighten the pivot screws all the way. This in turn allowed the shift lever to angle and as it tries to pull the derailleur to the largest cog.The cable then loses some of its length. This is most likely why I was having problems. I'll know for sure later today when I go out for a quick ride.
    My old Raleigh had downtube shifters. When I put on SIS shifters I had to "adapt" a few things to make it work, including tightening the shift lever pivot screws all the way. The shifting has never been as precise on this bike as it is on my Airborne which was designed for SIS shifters. It also didn't help that I was using Campagnolo shifters and a Shimano rear cluster (yes, they're technically incompatible but they can be made to work together reasonable well).

Whew - I switched the lever off the SIS and have had no problems. I now suspect there is something wrong with index system in the lever. I had replaced the original one and now I am thinking to put the original back on. No matter how I adjusted the derailleur, I could not get it to work properly with the newer lever.
    It is possible you have a defective lever. Perhaps check to see if there are any burrs or metal chips in there left over from the manufacturing process?

I should learn to trust my mechanical abilities. All the years I have worked on bikes, the longest it ever took me to adjust the Shimano Index System is 15 minutes or so. I did check the newer lever for dirt, burrs and anything else that might make it not work, everything looked fine. Right number of clicks, same Shimano 105 lever.

I put the old lever back on, 10 minutes inside to tighten up the cable, then a 10 mile ride with a few 1/4 turns on the adjustment on the rear derailleur and every thing is good in the world. I did have one or two 'pops' at first.

There is something wrong with the replacement lever, but I really can't say what it is.

It is nice to be able to ride trouble free....

jtr1962 - thanks for the advice - you have been spot on.....

I have been riding this for awhile now. It is index shifting nicely...

This is a picture of the restored bike. Purple/Green color shift paint from Dupli-color. It is called mirage paint...

Last edited by will; 01-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Unenlightened

Default ZOMBIE THREAD!!! Using an old wheel with threaded axle as a Derailleur Alignment Tool

I managed to successfully bend the hanger back. I got the brainstorm today that the rear axle bolt might be the same size as the derailleur bolt. Turns out it is. I took an old rear wheel, screwed one side down tight into the hanger, and then proceeded to bend the hanger back. It required surprisingly little force. First I did it by eye, seeing if the axle of the spare wheel and the axle of the bike's rear wheel were aligned in both planes. After that, I held an adjustable wrench right up against the braking surface of the rear wheel and rotated the spare wheel to see if it remained in contact with the braking surface as I rotated the spare wheel. I needed to make a few minor adjustments. This probably isn't as good as I might have gotten it with the derailleur alignment tool, but it looks to be no more than maybe 1/8" deviation. That translates to alignment to within 1/2 degree-probably plenty good enough for things to work well. Bottom line spare rear wheel=poor man's derailleur alignment gauge!

I'll know for sure if I did it right once I install a new derailleur. I'm still looking on eBay.
    I just want to say that your idea is GENIUS!!. Not only is it a no cost, no special tool solution...It might even be better than the special tool.

The special tools have some slack and the measurement precision, from my research, varies 0.5 to 1.5 mm for the quality tools. I think with your solution there is less slack because you can cinch down the axle in the derailleur mounting hole with a lock nut and if the hub bearings in the wheel are OK, there will be virtually no slack.

The only downside that I see is that it might be a little tricky to make the measurements. There is no sliding measuring stick like the special tools so it would be a little problematic to get a parallel and accurate measurement of the distance from your tool wheel to the bike's wheel

Kudos and thanks for helping me with my bent titanium derailleur hanger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12