Klarus        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Niteye EYE10 Review

Default Re: Niteye EYE10 Review

Heh. Sounds like the perfect light would be an EYE10 with the RRT-01's fully knurled control ring and an XM-L T6 neutral emitter.

Just got this light in the mail today and i would have to say its a keeper. Fit and finish is top notch, and the output with a 18350 is pretty awesome for a light this size.

Would the pocket clip on this fit the Sunwayman V10R Ti+? The screw locations look similar.

Measure the bolt pitch on your light and I'll let you know.

anyone notice a flicker on the lower levels with a cr123? it doesnt flicker with an imr18350 loaded in it.

Quote Originally Posted by veedo View Post
    anyone notice a flicker on the lower levels with a cr123? it doesnt flicker with an imr18350 loaded in it.
    On my copy, when the light is at the very lowest level that the eye can barely detect, the light will flicker (but stabilizes if turned up)when the battery is quite low or close to depletion with any battery... primary, protected RCR123 Li-co, or IMR.

i just got it from hk equipment.i noticed even when the light is off,the led is shining a little.cover it with ur palm and u can see it.im not bothered by it,but just to let u know if ur planning on buying it,and the its difficult to put the pocket clip because the screws dont align properly..

Got mine from hk equipment too. Received it today. Consider fast delivery as I bought on 10/9. Tracking shown it left HK on 15/9 and arrived on 19/9.

Love this light and will replace my current EDC JetBeam BC10 which is a good and bright light when using RCR123.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldtm3 View Post
    i just got it from hk equipment.i noticed even when the light is off,the led is shining a little.cover it with ur palm and u can see it.im not bothered by it,but just to let u know if ur planning on buying it,and the its difficult to put the pocket clip because the screws dont align properly..

I think that should bother you as the low 50uA standby current when the light is off, will be much higher if the LED is on even dimly.

I'm still using this light daily, and because I'm only using as much light as I need, it is still on its first CR123 fitted 5 months ago.
    Tactical Reviews by Subwoofer
    Latest Reviews - @TacticalReviews and Facebook
    CandlePower Forums "Trusted Product Tester / Reviewer"

arnoldtm3...

Because this light (and the RRT-01) can go down to almost imperceptable levels, make sure the light is indeed on before you go to the trouble and expense of returning/exchanging it. I'm guessing/speculating you might be catching and reflecting surrounding light in the emitter dome making it appear it's still on? Go to a very dark area w/little or no ambient light, activate the light and slowly turn it down untill you can place your eye up to the glass (first activate where it's easily visable on click 3 then turn back to click 2 where it is only visable in a darker area) and then manipualte the control ring slowly back to the first click past off...it should not be visable in a completely dark enviornment even with dark adapted eyes. This light has the tendany to appear slightly lit with a little ambient light.

Further...if it is always activated as you say, the quick battery drain should be very noticable since as subwoofer states, it will be far in excess of the 50uA standby current.
    Last edited by cyclesport; 09-20-2012 at 06:31 AM.

it was a mistake.i wasnt turning it all the way to off .there were still two more clicks.i didnt notice it because of the stiffness.now it turns off completely and the stiffness is gone.sorry for the late reply..

I couldn't wait to get mine, but after carrying it for 3 days I went back to my RRT-0 with XPG-R5. It's a wonderful light, but the control ring bumps drive me nuts. I really didn't think it would be an issue, but it really is for me. It's just personal preference of course, but I thought I'd share it non-the-less.
    Last edited by Kevin1322; 11-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1322 View Post
    I couldn't wait to get mine, but after carrying it for 3 days I went back to my RRT-0 with XPG-R5. It's a wonderful light, but the control ring bumps drive me nuts. I really didn't think it would be an issue, but it really is for me. It's just personal preference of course, but I'd thought I'd share it non-the-less.
    I can understand that.

Personally I like the clicks, but might prefer them to be a little softer.

Pulled mine out to use a couple of times, and the battery was dead. Didn't think much about it as I knew there was a drain, but when a battery was drained in just one day after very little use (and on low levels), I started checking. I've gone through three different almost new AW batteries, and each time the battery was dead in 24 hours, even though it was not being used. And yes, I am making sure the ring is all the way to off. So, looks like I will be returning mine too.

I've measured the drain on my unit and it was 43uA; can you measure yours?
    Last edited by awes; 01-03-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Pulled mine out to use a couple of times, and the battery was dead. Didn't think much about it as I knew there was a drain, but when a battery was drained in just one day after very little use (and on low levels), I started checking. I've gone through three different almost new AW batteries, and each time the battery was dead in 24 hours, even though it was not being used. And yes, I am making sure the ring is all the way to off. So, looks like I will be returning mine too.
    I've had an Eye10 for several months and haven't experiencd anything like that! I use a 18350 in it exclusively.

I don't have a way to measure it unfortunetly. I bought 18350s to use with it, but I'm trying other batteries too right now to see if I get the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    "The smooth reflector is annoying, but apparently the big competition right now is to see who can make the smallest thrower."

In that case they're using the wrong emitter. Nothing throwy about a small XM-L light....though the EYE10 does ok (7k lux at 1m by my testing) through raw power.
    And now that this thread is half a year old,is the Eye 10 still the smallest torch putting out 260 lumens on a single CR123 cell ??

Quote Originally Posted by malocchio View Post
    And now that this thread is half a year old,is the Eye 10 still the smallest torch putting out 260 lumens on a single CR123 cell ??
    I think the brightest 1 X CR123 production light currently is probably the EagleTac D25C that has been measured @ 450 lumens on just primaries (770L w/16340's). The EYE 10 is capable of 662 lumens w/Li-ion's per this review.

Feel like I need to post this, since I posted something negative about this light. I have an Ultrafire battery that works just fine in the light, which doesn't make sense since the AW brands are obviously better and more reputable. So I need to chalk this up to user error I think. Maybe I didn't charge them all the way, or maybe somehow it wasn't turned all the way off. I don't know, but it looks like I wasn't as thorough in my testing as I thought I was. Sorry everyone, and my appoligies to Niteye.

Feel like I need to post this, since I posted something negative about this light. I have an Ultrafire battery that works just fine in the light, which doesn't make sense since the AW brands are obviously better and more reputable. So I need to chalk this up to user error I think. Maybe I didn't charge them all the way, or maybe somehow it wasn't turned all the way off. I don't know, but it looks like I wasn't as thorough in my testing as I thought I was. Sorry everyone, and my appoligies to Niteye.
    With 11 clicks it's an easy mistake to make. I've left mine on before thinking I had dialed it back to dead stop...there's no visual warning since the light emitted at the #2 click is so low you can't even see it. When properly turned off, I can walk away for months and the IMR/ICR battery is still almost completely charged when I need it.

Notice that the first step (when turn on) of the ring is longer that others. Make sure that you have reached it when switching the light off.

Late to the Eye10 party- just discovered it yesterday when trying to find a replacement for my V11R.

I EDCed my Olight S10 for the last 8 months or so but just hated never having exactly the correct amount of light for various tasks, but love the small size of the light and the super handy magnet in the tailcap. Started EDCing my V11R a couple of days ago, but really miss the magnet.

After discovering the Eye10 over on the thread listing all the infinitely variable control ring lights, ordered one yesterday from FastTech- seems to be the perfect EDC for me except it doesn't have a magnet in the tailcap.

Now to my question for those who have the Eye10: Is it possible to easily remove the lanyard attachment swivel in the tail of the Eye10? I plan to remove it and epoxy a magnet or two in the tail so I will have the PERFECT EDC light for me.

I'll start a new thread with pics on the process of converting the tail from lanyard attachment to a magnet if it's not too difficult to remove the swivel.

Subwoofer, thank you for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    .....Is it possible to easily remove the lanyard attachment swivel in the tail of the Eye10? I plan to remove it and epoxy a magnet or two in the tail so I will have the PERFECT EDC light for me.....
    I thought about adding a magnet to my JETBeam RRT-01 which has essentially the same battery tube. A 1/2" OD x 1/4" ID x 1/8" thick Neodymium ring magnet should fit without having to remove the lanyard attachment post. I see 12 pieces on eBay from a USA seller for $9.99 with free shipping. I will probably order them but I can't think of when I would actually need to use the magnet as opposed to using one of my numerous headlamps or my LED automotive work light. It would be a cool feature to have though.

In what circumstances do you use a magnetic light?

HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMark View Post
    In what circumstances do you use a magnetic light?
    I service copiers and printers for a living (in my 25th year) and being able to stick my light to the steel frame or innards of a machine while working on it is priceless.

I actually found some 3 pound pull 1/6" thick x 1/2" dia. magnets on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Earth-Dis...ef=pd_sim_hi_2. I will just remove the lanyard attachment and epoxy 1 or 2 magnets in the end. I'll use the top hole on the clip for a lanyard attachment point. Can't wait to get the light in a week or so I can mod it into my perfect EDC.
    Last edited by srvctec; 07-05-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I service copiers and printers for a living (in my 25th year) and being able to stick my light to the steel frame or innards of a machine while working on it is priceless.

That does sound extremely useful.

I actually found some 3 pound pull 1/6" thick x 1/2" dia. magnets on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Earth-Dis...ef=pd_sim_hi_2. I will just remove the lanyard attachment and epoxy 1 or 2 magnets in the end. I'll use the top hole on the clip for a lanyard attachment point. Can't wait to get the light in a week or so I can mod it into my perfect EDC.

I am interested in hearing about how you remove the lanyard attachment post. I thought it might be a press fit. I bent an old allen wrench to insert into the hole and used a pair of pliers. I can not get mine to turn. A lathe might be the best method for removing it.

HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

Just got my Eye10 today. Love the light except for the detents. I want to take it apart and dremel out the last 7 detents leaving the first 4. Anyone know how to take the head apart on this thing to access the adjustment ring? Is it similar to taking apart a V11R? I just disassembled my V11R a few days ago to clean out the dried up lube and re-lube under the ring.

On another note, I've already ground out the stainless lanyard post in the tail and added 2 stacked magnets in its place- just waiting for the epoxy to dry. I'll start another thread about that when it's completely finished and link to it here if anyone is interested.

Here it is all finished except for painting the epoxy. Modded my Eye10 with magnets in the tail. (Pic heavy)

Nice work srvctec. How firmly do the magnets hold it?

Isn't the lanyard post screwed in? I will have a closer look at mine, but I thought there was an optional glass breaker at some point that could be swapped out. Might be wrong, so will have a look later.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
    Nice work srvctec. How firmly do the magnets hold it?

Isn't the lanyard post screwed in? I will have a closer look at mine, but I thought there was an optional glass breaker at some point that could be swapped out. Might be wrong, so will have a look later.
    Thanks, subwoofer. It holds very well. The magnets are approximately 3lb. pull and I put it on top of my washing machine and lifted the lid with it.

I tried unscrewing the post and driving it out with no luck- wouldn't budge at all.

Edit: Just took this pic of it holding up a 2.5lb. weight easily. Tried a 5lb. weight and it wouldn't pick it up. So I'm guessing around a 3.5lb. pull.
    Last edited by srvctec; 07-14-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added photo

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast