Zebralight H31 / H51 as a handheld running/jogging light?

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
Need input on the Zebralight H31 and H51 as a running light. I love to run at night, but I hate having a light strapped on my head. Since my hand creates a natural 'thumb upward fist' while running, I figured the "H" series would be ideal.

So "H" light owners, will my "pointer" finger get in the way of the lens while my thumb actuates the button while running?
Will the longer but heavier H51 be more natural due to the extra length? Or will the shorter and lighter H31 feel more comfortable while running and actuating the button with my thumb feel comfortable?

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H31 / H51 as a running/jogging light?

You might want to consider getting the flood version of those lights for jogging. That way you won't have a hotspot bouncing up and down as your hand moves while you jogg.

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

I'll be using it on a somewhat dim path, but using it more for those dark patchy areas and under passes. So I do like the slight throw on the light. More used as a momentary light so nothing will come out to surprise me.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened

I think the H51 will suit you better. My index finger does indeed get in the way when my H31 is carried that way. You might do better with the H600 lights. It won't be on your head so the little bit of extra weight won't be a problem. The huge increase in runtime might be useful.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have discussed this over in the Headlamp section. You might find this thread and this thread useful.

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

I think the H51 will suit you better. My index finger does indeed get in the way when my H31 is carried that way. You might do better with the H600 lights. It won't be on your head so the little bit of extra weight won't be a problem. The huge increase in runtime might be useful.

The H600 looks very sexy :) might consider it :) Thanks

ledmitter

Enlightened

A hand held light while jogging? Your arms are swinging back and forth; you should get a right angle light that clips to your waist or something. The zebra's are a good choice.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not aware of one. As I mentioned in the thread(s), I actually do wear mine on my head. When I have tried my H51w in my hand it works great. I can imagine the H600 will be at least as comfortable being a little bigger and easier to hold on to and with either a lot more light or a lot more run time.

My perfect running light will be the H502 which is hopefully coming out soon. It should provide a nice floody pattern that I like for running. I've had to put some DC FIX on my H51w to achieve that. And then of course there is the extra lumens factor. If only they would come out with the "w" at the same time.

Perfect :) Thanks GeoBruin :)
Would you happen to have a good link for the "H600 for runners"?

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

I prefer the light on my head, but if hand held I do like the 90º angle of the H series. If you move your hands a lot I would also agree with the advise on the F version, or make a diffuser for the non-floody one, or perhaps stop flailing around so much lol. Even the H51 is short for me, for hand held I wouldnt like the 31 series. I wish it was even longer, I hate the two finger hold. Ironic since for just about everything else I love the small size of the H51. I am very tempted by the H600, but holding back from jumping into the Li-ions so far.

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions :)

Now I'm leaning toward the H600 for the high lumens, extra runtime, and the larger size to fit nicely in my hand.

I wouldn't have the light on constantly while running, just on the dark patchy areas where I can beam my fist to make sure nothing is lurking around. Also the extra lumens will be a nice defensive/security feature.