I would like to announce the grand opening of my...

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
As many members of this forum know already, whenever I post, people light their torches and call for my lynching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Among this ruckus, one thing I have heard often is "Go start your own forum!"

Well, I am here to announce that your wish has been granted.

What some of you may not expect is that I am not starting this forum in spite of CPF or anyone here. In fact, the forum will have nothing to do with flashlights. The political discussion in the Cafe is mostly mature and usually insightful to some end. I find many members here to be of great value if they went into liberal arts.

Which brings me to my grand announcement.

For the past week, I have been working on a forum for the intellectual and civil discussion of geopolitics and world events. I've realized that such forums do not exist in wide availability on the internet, especially those that are mature, and non partisan. I want to attract those who can be civil, so I made the subject of the forum a bit more complex than simply talking politics. I know U.S. politics and partisan discussion never leads to anything productive. Thus, the subject of my forum will only be discussing U.S. foreign policy, the UN, world organizations and coercive powers, and the foriegn policies of other countries. It will also include discussion on world problems, such as hunger, diplomacy, and the poliferation of failing states.

This dream of mine has now become a reality. This evening, I have finished setting it up and the forum is now open for discussion. Please direct your web browsers to:

http://www.the-hegemony.com

Of course, the board is not perfect yet and I am always making adjustments to it. I hope it will continually improve through time as I get suggestions and learn to become a good admin. I hope anyone that is capable of registering do so, because after all, a marketplace of ideas cannot exist without the ideas.

As a long-time member of CPF, I enjoy my time here significantly, contrary to what many people may think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I value the thoughts of many members here and would love you guys to be a part of my forum.

Thanks for reading my thoughts, both this one and others.

I will see you all there.

Greta

Flashaholic
Hawk... I checked it out... it's very nicely set up! Good variety of forums! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'm a bit confused by the front page graphic though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regardless... I think this is a great idea and I wish you the best of luck in your venture. If you need anything, you have but to ask... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
I do need to ask one more question too.... how can it be a non-partisan board with a name like "The Hegemony"? ... The name in itself is pretty biased and partisan. What made you choose that name? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Hehe...Nah, there is nothing partisan with hegemony. Any country that has influence has hegemony over any number of other countries.

A hegemony is "Leadership; preponderant influence or authority; -- usually applied to the relation of a government or state to its neighbors or confederates." So, it's basically a sphere of influence, guided by material or abstract force, so the soldier and the shadow represents that potential for force, be it military, economic, or diplomatic. Of course, hegemony is often not a good thing. Remember, I am trying to steer away from the United States with my board. The world is primarily what I want the forum to discuss.

Hope you all are enjoying the forums! Thanks for the sticky post Sasha! I very much appreciate it.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I would like to announce the grand opening of

I have been waiting for this, since you mentioned it in cpf chat channel, Hawk. It may be a better place to discuss things of said nature in your forum, than here in Cafe.

Well, I joined your forum and look forward to the discussions.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a great place for us to go "off-subject", politically. Some of us are more concerned with the direction the USA and World are headed than, even, the subject of flashlights. Pretty unbelievable but it's true.

A big, bright, thanks, Hawk!

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Congratulations Hawk!

Brightnorm

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

I cannot get your page to open right now, but I do have one rather important question:

Will your forum be a less expensive place to hang out than CPF? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened

The First Amendment is alive and well!

Good luck with your forum.

There's nothing quite like a "free-marketplace of ideas"!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened

The concept of CPF could almost act as an economic stimulus! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully my forum will cost me less, unless of course I overuse my bandwidth and have to upgrade my plan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all the support guys.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha said: ...bit confused by the front page graphic though

Wow! One of those 15% times when Sasha and I agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I too think this is a great idea and I've already bookmarked your forum in my favorites list. Although, I also agree...the front page graphic is confusing to me...and not very inviting. If I didn't have some idea of what you are trying to do...I wouldn't likely enter a forum with this name...and this graphic.

Is the forum all about people who want to discuss how to use military power for world domination? (I'm guessing that this is not your intent) ...but is sort of the impression I get from the graphic and the name.

Any way... best of luck! I haven't really found a great non-partisan forum on the internet. The owner of this forum once suggested the Democratic Underground...but it is pretty partisan, so, I'm still lookin'. I don't really want a forum where everyone agrees...just one where people agree to discuss both sides with a civil tone and actually examine issues instead of just adopting their side of an issue along "party lines". I'm always disappointed when I see Congress voting along strictly party lines. Like what?... some democrats wouldn't see the same side of some issue as some republicans? Life is rarely so black and white. But you'd never know it based on many of the "strictly along party lines" votes in our Congress. When I see such votes it makes me think that the members (from BOTH parties) are more interested in Party Power than what is best for the country. Although...I guess that shouldn't come as any big surprise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I three don't get the graphic but the site is nice. Some interesting topics are being discussed and it looks fun.

Hawk, I hope it goes well, is problem free and has the non-partisan flavor you are looking for.

DD
Dawg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Just a little update on the forum.

It's been going very well so far with most of the membership being conservative, which I don't mind at all. I like the atmosphere a lot and it has been very civil with some good meaningful discussion. Thanks to DieselDave for his participation, he's actually been posting a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We still need some more people from CPF, if you guys are interested in talking geopolitics please come over!

And thanks again to Sasha for making this a sticky. You can take it off of sticky now if you want as I'm sure most people have already seen this thread.

Again, thanks for the support and get your friends to come!