Sunwayman V10R(M) Ti Mule Head

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully the title was not misleading in that the "Ti" was meant for the light. The mule head is brass.
This was one of the lights I was really looking forward to and immediately opened it up to replace the emitter with a neutral (now high CRI XP-G).
I'm sure most of you who have had the head apart instantly thought how cool it would be to have a screw on mule head to give a flood beam as well as shorten it up a bit..

Codename: V10M when the mule head is on in reference to the McGizmo "Mule" flood type beam. V10R will denote the reflectored head from now on.
This was started a few weeks ago and finished up over the weekend while in the shop.
It suprises me that nobody has made something along the same concept....at least that I've seen..:thinking::shrug:
The lense is from a broken telescope and casts a perfectly even and circular flood beam.

Hoping to revise the design and maybe offer some in the coming months.....I'd need to find a source for lenses and o'rings. Ti would not be something I feel confident doing yet.

Anyway heres the simple prototype.

photobucket-26235-1334716199422.jpg

photobucket-38941-1334639241452.jpg

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sunwayman V10R Ti Mule Head

Looks great. Brass looks classy and should work wonderfully.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamshots!!! :)

Sometimes I wished I kept my v10r ti. It's definitely becoming a cult favorite with all of the mods being made for it.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want one if you make them available....Robert.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

But........where do the trits go now? :poke:

DaFAB,

You know I only wrote this because of all the V10R Ti owners that have went "trit crazy", I really like what you have done with it, I'm just not too big on the Ti/Brass combo but I could see me with one of these on an aluminum version Cerakoted white.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice. I think the whole mule head idea is lost on most people though. I know it took me awhile to appreciate the usefulness of a total flood light.

Now I'm finding myself thinking about P60 mule drop-ins and such... why hasn't that been done?

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be interested in a mule head as well. I only have the Al V10r, so I don't care what it's made from in the end as it will probably get cerakoted.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I've been trying to respond, but for some reason my computer won't let me edit correctly when replying....VERY annoying when you can't fix a reply.

It would be a while still before I could have anything available but will update here when the time comes.
Precisionworks or kuku427 would be a better candidate to take this on in titanium for the time being and I'm sure they could come up with some crazy trit configurations/slots. I still need to buy a LOT of tooling and get more experience.

Since the "multi-qoute" wasn't doing what I wanted it to, I'll try to address each post in order..

NoFair, the brass does seem to work well and in my opinion looks nice, however titanium would look best.

badtziscool, sorry no beamshots. All I have available for uploading pics to the net is my phone and it just doesn't do beamshots like my digital camera.

Obijaun, I love Mules too! Seriously...my first McGizmo was an EN Mule and helped influence me to stuff 3 x Seoul P4's in the head of a surefire KL4 as Donn called it..."The 3 eyed mule"..Hahaha! Mule or flood beams can be extremely usefull!

PCC, I like that that Peak! Looks really nice!

S1LVA, I'll be sure to check here before selling any

think2x, no trits here! Although theres a good amount of space there to do lots of different design...both machining and tritium.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

aaaaand I'm back. Finger touched the screen, moved the cursor and I couldn't edit so I'll continue here.

think2x, I know the brass/Ti combo isn't for everyone, but I had a small end left and used it for this project. Aluminum would be nice too.

jabe1, I agree that a flood beam can be extremely useful. Ever since experiencing the utility of it, I've never been without at least one flood/mule type light in my EDC. I think I've seen a mule type P60 but can't be positive. And you bring up a good point.....and a good hole in the market!

blackbalsam, I'll update here in the future if/when them become available.

mattaus, Δ Read Above Δ

CarpentryHero, Thank you!

Z-Tab, Thank you as well! My shop is finally in order so I've been able to spend some time working on a few ideas I've had.

Unfortunately theres several ideas that have to wait until I get more tooling and experience.
I'll update this thread with any updates to the design.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might have to try and machine my own. I'm a noob on a lathe but it doesn't look like a very complicated part. Just gotta work out how to thread haha!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

it doesn't look like a very complicated part. Just gotta work out how to thread haha!

Those are famous last words...

How many hours have I spent in front of the lathe figuring out that what I thought was going to be an easy part turned into a nightmare? More than I'll ever admit! LOL!

wquiles

Flashaholic

The mule head looks great - nice job!

Those are famous last words...

How many hours have I spent in front of the lathe figuring out that what I thought was going to be an easy part turned into a nightmare? More than I'll ever admit! LOL!

A challenge, yes, but that is true for all of us at some point. We all started not knowing how to make parts on a lathe/mill :D

Will

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found this thread after seeing the post of the 3-eyed Mule in one of the photo threads. Very nice work! If this becomes available to purchase, I'm likely in for one as well (I would probably put it on my aluminum V10A). I really like my V10R Ti lights, although I'll admit to being one of those who stuffs them with trits! :devil:

Now I'm finding myself thinking about P60 mule drop-ins and such... why hasn't that been done?
Vinhnguyen54 over in the custom B/S/T forum sells a number of different P60 mules. I currently own XM-L2, dual warm XM-L2 (2700k) and WRGB mules, all from him, and I'll soon be buying a quad Nichia 219 mule from him. They are very nice (as are all of his drop-ins). :) In case you can't tell, I'm a big mule fan as well! ;)