Has your Fenix LD01 blown on a 10440 ?

Has your Fenix LD01/L0D blown on a 10440 ?

• Yes and no. I own several and at least 1 of them fried.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am using myself the current version (LD01 R4 aluminum black) with 10440's and many cpf threads exist where users run 10440's in older LD01/L0D versions seemingly without problem. i have researched hard but can hardly find any user report which states in clear that he/she blew their driver or LED because of 10440 LiIon use in the LD01/L0D. let's collect pos. and neg. user reports:

Which LD01/L0D version is yours, have you tried 10440's, have you blown it by using 10440's?

Let me begin, here my stats:

LD01 R4. have been testing (unprotected and protected) 10440's in it for extended time. no, not blown. :thumbsup:

At the end of day we may come to the surprising result (poll, user reports) that nobody:huh: ever blew theirs because of 10440 LiIon use. Thanks for your participation!

Streamer

Enlightened
Been using unprotected 10440's in my older LOD for years and no problem.

Using also in new LD01 Stainless Steel for six months and no problems.

ETA: LD01 is the latest SS XPG R5 current controlled version ...bright as all hell on 10440...
heh heh hehhh...

Last edited:

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I've been running a blue Ultrafire unprotected 10440 in my LD01 R2 for a few months now without any issues.

Few things I've noticed....

- the LD01 really doesn't feel that hot when running the 10440 (not like my iTP A3 or Eiger HC, also with unprotected Ultrafire 10440's in them)
- the protected Ultrafire 10440 will not work in in the LD01 (too long)
- MED setting really looks no different from the HIGH setting with the 10440
- MED setting with the 10440 looks quite a bit brighter than the HIGH setting with an AAA
- LOW setting with the 10440 looks quite a bit brighter than the MED setting with an AAA

Bottom line, I really like the light output in my AAA keychain lights if they can handle the 10440, so that's what I run in all of my lights.

EDIT: per the post below, my R2 has a XP-E, with modes of 9 lumens / 28 lumens / 85 lumens with an AAA alkaline

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Which LD01/L0D version is yours
As the OP is implying above, the specific LD01 version is important here. When the LD01 transitioned from the XR-E to the XP-G, the driver was completely changed, going from PWM-dimming to a current-controlled driver. There have been reports that the newer current-controlled driver doesn't go into DD with a 10440, but I don't have any specific info on this.

For the purposes of this poll, it would be most helpful if folks post that their LD01 is the XR-E (pwm) or XP-G (current-controlled) version.

Best of luck,

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD01 black 2012 XP-G version

IMR 10440

---

no issues with blowed-up led or anything else

it gets warm and I have not stressed it to test it. but no issues

on a real fresh IMR 10440 at 4.2 volts, I lose medium mode, it is as bright as high mode
until battery dips below 4 volts then I get 3 modes back. all much brighter than AAA of course.
I have not really investigated this further.

no issues or burn spots or visible damage to anything

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using also in new LD01 Stainless Steel for six months and no problems.
must be the LD01 SS R5 then, thx!
- the LD01 really doesn't feel that hot when running the 10440 (not like my iTP A3 or Eiger HC, also with unprotected Ultrafire 10440's in them)
- the protected Ultrafire 10440 will not work in in the LD01 (too long)
- MED setting really looks no different from the HIGH setting with the 10440
- MED setting with the 10440 looks quite a bit brighter than the HIGH setting with an AAA
- LOW setting with the 10440 looks quite a bit brighter than the MED setting with an AAA
interesting, i observe the identical behavior of your XP-E R2 version in my XP-G R4 version:
not very hot (compared to e.g. itp a3), 10440-Lo is brighter than AAA-Med, 10440-Med is brighter than AAA-Hi, 10440-Hi is only a little brighter than 10440-Med. Protected Ultrafire 10440 work only with spacer, protected Trustfire 10440 fit without spacer. ... which is also more or less confirmed by 127.0.0.1's XP-G R4 version:
on a real fresh IMR 10440 at 4.2 volts, I lose medium mode, it is as bright as high mode
until battery dips below 4 volts then I get 3 modes back.

in the poll so far, most owners havent tried 10440's yet! i must admit that acquiring 10440's is not an easy thing (dealextreme, manafont waiting times). let's collect more votes for a more representative result..

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
LD01 black 2012 XP-G version

IMR 10440
---

no issues with blowed-up led or anything else

it gets warm and I have not stressed it to test it. but no issues

until battery dips below 4 volts then I get 3 modes back. all much brighter than AAA of course.
I have not really investigated this further.

no issues or burn spots or visible damage to anything
This is what I have & no problems so far.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
BTW the Fenix 'Serial number lookup' web page will tell you what emitter is in your particular LD01 (including the bin), pretty cool IMO.
I don't know the web address off the top of my head but someone here might look it up & post it.

Edit: Thanks shelm. :)

Last edited:

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
interesting, i observe the identical behavior of your XP-E R2 version in my XP-G R4 version

Well, I now know why my LD01 had the same performance as yours.

I ran the serial number on the link above and found that my LD01 is in fact a XP-G R4, and not the XP-E R2 as what was claimed by the retailer I bought it from (they also had a R4 for sale as well for $3 cheaper).

Oh well, I still really like the performance & light output from a 10440 in my LD01.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just run eneloops in mine, is the output much brighter?
yes, much brighter. too bad that selfbuilt , who got an integrating sphere , never got to measure a LD01 (R4 or R5, my suggestion). initial cuurent draw is up to 1.3A (4.215 V) :devil:. anyone able to convert this into lumens?? (direct drive)

welcome on CFP!!

filaro

Newly Enlightened
yes, much brighter. too bad that selfbuilt , who got an integrating sphere , never got to measure a LD01 (R4 or R5, my suggestion). initial cuurent draw is up to 1.3A (4.215 V) :devil:. anyone able to convert this into lumens?? (direct drive)

welcome on CFP!!

thanks

selfbuilt dos great reviews

is there an r5 version of ld01? i only thought r4 now?

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
I looked mine up and apparently I have an XP-E R3? Does this even exist? Is it current controlled? It was sold as an R2. I only run eneloops in it. It is my first real flashlight. I got it in December 2010. It is still performing flawlessly. I am curious about the higher output but I don't think I'll risk my first real light.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there an r5 version of ld01? i only thought r4 now?
the XP-G R5 is only to be found in the latest LD01 SS edition, and not in any black aluminum version. the latest black aluminum version comes with XP-G R4 and has been on the market for quite some time (according to youtube upload video dates). the LD01 SS R5 is said to be a little greenish and the LD01 R4 almost zero greenish on Hi-mode; since the R4 and R5 are current-controlled, there is a clear greenish tint shift on Lo-mode. cpf people have been running 10440's in the R4 and the SS R5, that's no news. and the tint becomes pure white .. which looks fantastic and comparable to perfect coolwhite premium tints of bigger lights (Klarus, Eagtac)

i am thinking that this thread is more about collecting stats and data, e.g. how many clear reports we got by 10440 users (of the PWM-controlled or of the current-controlled) who blew their light.

My experience with these lights on 10440 cells mirors the experience of others reporting here.

I have a red (Christmas version) LD01 (XPE emitter). I've been using unprotected 10440 cells for about one year, without any negative experiences. The tint using 10440 cells is pure snow white, but then even on 1.2v or 1.5v cells, the beam tint from mine is as close to pure white as anyone has a right to expect from the tint lottery, without divine interention. The output on 10440 cells is astonishing (at least to non-flashaholic friends). Low on 10440 = medium on 1.2v or 1.5v cells. Medium on 10440 = high on lesser cells.

Flashlight Enthusiast
wicked cool lookup

Serial Number: F3CSCL00854
Model: LD01 R4
LED: CREE XP-G R4
Reflector: Orange Peel Reflector
Color: Black
Version of Warranty Card: English
Sales Area: America Area
Sales Country or Region: USA

john doe

Newly Enlightened
the XP-G R5 is only to be found in the latest LD01 SS edition, and not in any black aluminum version. the latest black aluminum version comes with XP-G R4 and has been on the market for quite some time (according to youtube upload video dates). the LD01 SS R5 is said to be a little greenish and the LD01 R4 almost zero greenish on Hi-mode; since the R4 and R5 are current-controlled, there is a clear greenish tint shift on Lo-mode. cpf people have been running 10440's in the R4 and the SS R5, that's no news. and the tint becomes pure white .. which looks fantastic and comparable to perfect coolwhite premium tints of bigger lights (Klarus, Eagtac)

i have 2 ss ld01`s and have not noticed any green tint to them .they both have the xp-g r5 in them .so is it safe to run this 10440 battery in these?and where can i get them?these are rechargeables i take it?

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serial Number: 42SW2T04972
Model: LD01 R5 stainless steel
LED: CREE XP-G R5
Reflector: Smooth Reflector
Color: Black
Version of Warranty Card: English
Sales Area: America Area
Sales Country or Region: USA