Fenix from Hong-Kong "good"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canabix

Newly Enlightened
I shop online in UK, typicle Fenix is £40-60 for the PD 20,30 range
on eBay from Hong-Kong they are a LOT cheaper, so much so it makes me query their quality, surely they must be B-grade stock or something?
Does any one know if they are the real deal and recommend using this seller then a UK based.

point to note, the HK seller has free postage were as the local UK does not :D

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
my favorite flashlight dealer is a HK equipment (on ebay too) seller. got my fenix lights from there. that dealer is specialized in flashlights and one can ask him to check the LED status and beam (centricity, tint, artifacts, ..) before they wrap/ship it. i also checked the Fenix serial numbers. all legit.

which light are you interested in?

Fenix-StoreDOTcom (CPFMP supporter) has FREE international shipping too and coupon codes, see CPFMP!!

tandem

Enlightened
Canabix, don't forget your UK on-line providers are quoting prices affected by your VAT.

When you import items into the UK, you may see the VAT added at that point and there the price gap should narrow some.

We have a VAT here in Canada called the HST; our customs folks don't bother applying it to low cost importations. Does this occur in the UK as well?

davecroft

Enlightened
Prices from UK dealers are pretty high compared to Hong Kong, I don't think they are raking in excessive profits, its the VAT and other business taxes unfortunately.

I have bought from a couple of UK dealers and service is pretty good generally, but lately I have been buying from Hong Kong as the prices are so hard to resist. Just bear in mind you will have to wait weeks, not days for delivery, and returning a faulty light can be expensive (about £12 for registered delivery to Hong Kong and that only covers the value up to about £45). You may also get charged import tax, but I never have (so far) - most dealers put a low value on the parcel or mark it as a 'gift' to avoid you having to pay tax on it (a bit naughty I suppose...)

Having said that, I have not had to return any lights yet. They are not 'seconds' or copies, all mine have been new in box and the Fenix ones all register ok on their serial number register. Just to give you some ideas, here are prices I have paid for a few lights from Hong Kong recently. Hong Kong prices can be half or even less of UK prices.

Fenix LD01/E01 combination pack: £21.98.

Fenix E11: £17.28.

Fenix E05: £11.98.

Jetbeam BA10: £21.90.

Jetbeam PA01: £19.49.

I have bought from a number of places, including Dino Direct and Manafont, but can endorse the recommendation for HKEquipment who have been very reliable.

I don't know if I would want to spend big bucks and get a light from Hong Kong, just in case, but most of my lights cost less than £50 so I'm prepared to take the small risk for the big savings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.