Modding a D10 Tribute with a Nichia 219 HCRI emitter [pic heavy]

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CPF! :wave:

Like many of you, I just recently received my Nichia 219 HCRI emitters courtesy of arek98 over on CPF Marketplace.

I decided to document my first mod with this emitter. If you decide to try something similiar, I take absolutely no responsibility if things go south. I will, however, take the credit if they go perfectly. :huh:

I know you're all here for the pictures, so let's get right into it, shall we?

------------

arek98 hit it big in the bin lottery and got sw45 emitters with the highest flux and lowest forward voltage
01ledbin.jpg

The LED's have a small black arrow on them that points to the cathode. We need to know which way to mount it on our MCPCB. Luckily, I have here a Nichia 219 (~3300k) that found himself in an experiment gone horribly wrong. Cathode goes to negative terminal. :devil:
02ledpolarity.jpg

And now for a 219 with it's jello fully intact
03newled.jpg

This'll be our test subject for this evening. Let's strip it down and get ready to operate.
04testsubject.jpg

05bodyunscrewed.jpg

Be careful prying out the brass ring - you don't want to damage any of the SMT components. Rotate it a bit so that you're prying onto bare PCB.
06rotatebrassring.jpg

Very carefully work at it until the ring pops up
07removebrassring.jpg

To unscrew the pill from the head, slip something (I used the ends of some forceps) into these 2 notches, then rotate
08slipringpliers.jpg

09pillunscrewed.jpg

Pop the plastic centering device off the pill
10retainingring.jpg

11retainerremoved.jpg

The white stuff you see is thermal paste. It conducts the heat from your soldering iron down into the pill and just generally makes it hard to get the wires to detach. Keep at it and be gentle.
12removefirstsolderjoin.jpg

13wiresdetached.jpg

Remove the MCPCB from it's pill and clean it up a bit.
14mcpcbremoved.jpg

15cleanmcpcb.jpg

Time to remove the old LED! Apply a tiny blob of solder with your iron, then heat it until the LED desolders. Work quickly or you'll scorch a lot of things in this step.
16desolderled.jpg

17leddetached.jpg

Our solder pads are a bit grungy, let's see if we can clean them up a bit.
18cleanupsolderpads.jpg

Apply a little flux to the pads to help our emitter reflow smoothly.
19applyflux.jpg

You'll see the LED slump onto the MCPCB and pull itself into place when you've applied enough heat. Don't burn the emitter accidentally!
20resolderled.jpg

21ledsoldered.jpg

Arctic Silver is popular in the computer world as a heat conductor between CPU's and their heatsinks. It'll have to do because it's all I have. Apply a little to the back of your MCPCB.
22applyarcticsilver.jpg

Time to reattach those wires! They need to lay fairly flat for the plastic retaining ring to sit on top of them.
23solderwires.jpg

It took me 10 minutes to figure out that the black tape in the middle of the centering ring was... off-center. So I removed it and reapplied it.
24centerled.jpg

25replaceblacktape.jpg

Reverse the process you used to remove the pill to put it back into the head. Very carefully replace the brass ring.
27reinsertring.jpg

Admire your work!
28modfinished.jpg

Now that your mod is complete, let's take this baby for a spin!

D10 Cool White -- D10 219 -- Haiku 119 -- Cree 85CRI XPG
29beamshots.jpg

Control shot (flourescent lighting)
30control.jpg

Cool White D10
31coolwhited10.jpg

85CRI Cree XP-G
32cree85cri.jpg

Haiku HCRI Nichia 119
33haiku.jpg

D10 HCRI Nichia 219
34hicrid10.jpg

That's it, thanks for following along!

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your'e the first to have done this, very nice :)
I'm planning on putting one into my Armytek Predator when I get the emitters.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY NICE! I think now I will definitely change my XP-G HCRI out to the Nichia in my V10R Ti mule. :hitit:

CKOD

Enlightened
High CRI, in a neutral CCT, in a XPG compatible package? I dont think my wallet is going to like this very much, but. Welp, time to start swapping those into everything with an XPG/E that I can tear apart and rip the pill out of.

Nice work

ackbar

Enlightened
really tempted to try modding my Jhanko D10 again. I could never get used to the nasty green tint but could not for the life of me get the damn brass ring off.

e1sbaer

Newly Enlightened
really tempted to try modding my Jhanko D10 again. I could never get used to the nasty green tint but could not for the life of me get the damn brass ring off.
Carefully with a screwdriver.
Taking it apart is done. Now waiting for the led to arrive.
219.jpg

e1sbaer

Newly Enlightened
Received the 219 leds today and did the mod. The desoldering was the hardest part. The led wouldn't come off at first. The rest of the procedure gave no trouble. Running at high the head does get warm. Do you recognize that? (I might have applied a bit too much thermal paste).

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the 219 leds today and did the mod. The desoldering was the hardest part. The led wouldn't come off at first. The rest of the procedure gave no trouble. Running at high the head does get warm. Do you recognize that? (I might have applied a bit too much thermal paste).

Oh yeah, the D10 head gets quite hot a lot faster compared to the old XP-E that was in there before.

It's also a good deal brighter than the old emitter - I imagine the two are related. I couldn't tell you the reason why though. :thinking:

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Lower Vf of the Nichia emitter drawing more current?

Love the mod, this was one of the first mods I had done (neutral xp-g into EX10), love these lights.

Cheers,
Nova

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm torn. On the one hand this would be a great mod for my Jetbeam TC-R2, but on the other hand I like the amount of output it has now. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get >90CRI in a neutral-to-cool-white tint with >300lm of output. :whistle:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the beamshots! I actually think the hi CRI LED looks so much more WOW. Any comparison to a neutral type cree LED? Thanks!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the beamshots! I actually think the hi CRI LED looks so much more WOW. Any comparison to a neutral type cree LED? Thanks!

These were taken in my backyard in early spring.
The Quark is running on 1xAA (like the D10) and is from 47's first run with the neutral XP-E emitter.
The full set of beamshots is here.

quarks.jpg

d10x.jpg

Romanko

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Maybe you can help me. My Nitecore D10 has no centering disk for led. Where did you get your, because it fit xp-g?

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully Mike doesn't mind me hijacking and bumping his 7 year old thread! Picked up two Nitecore D10s for old times sake but new I would want to modernize them. So began my process in researching how to upgrade the emitter. New to soldering but have access to a high quality setup. Just need to get a chisel tip for the iron. Placed an order with Mtn Electronics so I've got a Nichia 219C 4000k 90+ CRI and an XM-L HI 4000k en route. I'll update the post once everything comes in and with some progress pics. Hopefully sans ARGH WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?#@!86f*!^K&!