Streamlight ProTac 2xAAA penlight 88039

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a penlight fan and am interested in hearing comments from users of the new Streamlight multimode ProTac 2xAAA penlight which is now reaching dealer shelves.

The mode switching mechanism on many of the current model Streamlight flashlights requires rapid keypresses and can be daunting. That's been my experience with the ProTac and PolyTac 90 lights. How is difficult is mode switching on the new ProTac 2xAAA penlight?

Can someone verify the mode sequence on the new penlight? It is high, strobe, low on the PolyTac 90.

Thanks.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Looks like their Stylus Pro with a thyroid problem! :D

The 120 lumen output sounds pretty anemic for 2xAA; a Quark AA² R5 smokes it at 205 lumens, but costs half-again more; Quark "X" AA² does 280, but costs even more. So I guess for the money, it's not too shabby.

I don't have one, so I can't speak to the mode switching method or order, sorry. But "lotsa presses" is pretty typical for single-button interfaces.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The 120 lumen output sounds pretty anemic for 2xAA; .....

Thanks, but the light I am considering is the new 88039 ProTac 2xAAA penlight, not the larger 2xAA version. The ProTac 2xAAA penlight is described on the Streamlight web site here.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Sorry, my mistake. Now that I think about it, I even *did* search "streamlight protac 2aaa", but Google "helpfully" showed me the 2AA. GAH!

OK, so... it looks like a nice step up in output from the Stylus Pro, but still pretty far behind, say, the Preon 2. But hey, there's aren't many lights in the category, more choices are betterer!

HIDblue

Enlightened
There's a youtube video of the Streamlight rep at shotshow demonstrating the ProTac 2xAAA, but it's so brief, it's hard to tell the operation. It does appear that it uses a forward clicky for momentary on/off which is a huge plus.

I was actually deciding between the ProTac 2xAAA penlight and the BriteStrike EPLI. The ProTac only boasts 80 lumens while the BriteStrike claims 160 lumens, but the BriteStrike is also double the price of the ProTac. Either way, I like that they both sport forward clickies and both come on in High mode, whereas, the Preon 2, which is a great pen light, always comes on in low mode first.

Last edited:

Retinator

Enlightened
With very limited capacity in AAA's I prefer a lower level with longer runtimes. The small size is nice to have in a shirt pocket for rummaging around the house or garage, close up work.

I will be collecting the Protac line, but saving money right now.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seriously into AAA lights as my favorite carry lights and even my work and EDC lights. They are just so handy to carry and the newest of them throw plenty of light for almost all my normal tasks. My pocket carry is an old LOPSE or a Microstream, and I have the Stylus Pro new and old versions, and both the Microstreams, and use them constantly, the Preon 2 AAA is my most carried light in my leather jacket for all seasons.

I am interested in the Pro Tac for my morning inspections at work, especially in winter, as it is brighter than the Stylus pro but has a low light which is handy for writing on inspection forms. One of its biggest pluses is turning on in high mode not some intermediate step to get to high mode as in the PReon and most others. I hope it retains the momentary on of the Stylus which to me is an all important function for quick flashes in corners and under vehicles. I was also looking at the Terralux Lightstar but it is only one level, but with an interesting bite piece.

Last edited:

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to a reviewer on Amazon, I can tell you the sequence IS high, strobe, low (what a crazy thing to have low come after strobe...).

My question is, can you reposition the clip any higher? lol, it's so low on the barrel

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smooth reflector on the 2aaa Streamlight StylusPro 48 lumens out throws the Preon2's 140 lumens ;)
streamlight may not be the brightest, but there well thought out and well built.

Last edited: