SWM V10R (XPG) vs SWM V10R Ti+

easilyled

Flashaholic
Which is the more useful light?

I know the V10R Ti+ has a higher output on an RCR123 li-ion (~500 lumens) but the V10R (XPG) isn't shabby (~300 lumens, I'm estimating)

I know the V10R Ti+ has had its fair share of teething problems, but lets ignore these and assume that they will be ironed out.

What I'm most interested in is the beam itself and input from those that have both lights.
I would assume that the smaller die size of the XPG would result in the V10R having more throw than the V10R Ti+.
Is this what people are seeing?

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SWM V10R vs SWM V10R+

V10R XM-L uses an XM-L T6 emitter and is rated at 460 lumens.
V11R uses an XM-L U2 emitter and is rated at 500 lumens.
V10R Ti+ uses an XM-L U2 emitter and is rated at 500 lumens.

Never heard of a "V10R+"

stoli67

Enlightened

DSC_0005.jpg

Yes the XML is way more floody and a fair bit brighter to my eye.... Also more pure white...

Makes the XPG look a little green even.

easilyled

Flashaholic

DSC_0005.jpg

Yes the XML is way more floody and a fair bit brighter to my eye.... Also more pure white...

Beautiful lights & pictures stoli67 .... I'm hoping for my tricked out SWM Ti V10R (XPG) to arrive back from Steve soon.

So which beam do you prefer, might I ask (putting tint to one side)?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having worked on quite a few myself, I think the bigger hotspot of the XM-L is way more useful in this type of light.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

As they always say: "Horses for courses" that is, it'll depend on what your usage is for. I tend to use my EDC mostly indoors and under that scenario, find a floody beam profile to be of far more use than a thowy type, thus the V11R/M11R have supplanted my long time EDC (a ZL SC30 that has XP-E).

Even outdoors, unless your usage typically dictates you to spot things more than 40+ feet or so away, I still prefer the more floody beam. The only scenario where this isn't desired is when I'm using it around my property and don't wish to shine into my neighbor's house (I live in the 'burbs so they are never more than an arm's length away) that's where a throwy profile with as a little flood but giant hotspot (e.g. a TIR optic beam) is highly desirable for me.

If you want to get a decent idea of the beam profile between the two, check out the V10A (XP-G) shots vs. the V11R here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335030

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic

Thanks Tim, that's what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

Seems like the V11R can throw as well on turbo as the V10A can on a 14500 (if you look at the cross-panels in the door) and yet with a much larger hotspot and considerably brighter overall output.

Therefore I take it the same applies between a V10R (XPG) and the V10R TI+ (both with RCR123s)

mr.snakeman

Enlightened

Having worked on quite a few myself, I think the bigger hotspot of the XM-L is way more useful in this type of light.
For the most part I´d agree, But there are times when a more focused beam works better for my tired old eyes. For example, in the shop when I need to check out the wear on a customer´s disk brake pads on his bike. I guess this means that I´ll have to EDC both my Ti and my Ti+ :naughty:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like the V11R can throw as well on turbo as the V10A can on a 14500 (if you look at the cross-panels in the door) and yet with a much larger hotspot and considerably brighter overall output.

Therefore I take it the same applies between a V10R (XPG) and the V10R TI+ (both with RCR123s)

Duh... :ohgeez: I do have a V10R Ti+ and will get the beamshots and lux readings tonight but I expect it to be nearly identical to the V11R but yes, that's a reasonable assumption.

In the meanwhile, my guesstimate is it's a little less throwy than the V10A (3900 lux @ 1m) and will fall roughly around the 3K range.

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

@easilyled, I just took 1m lux measurements and it came in at roughly 3K (@31 seconds) so I was spot on. The beams are identical so the V11R to V10A comparo will give you a good idea of V10R Ti+ vs. V10R (XP-G).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

JulianP

Enlightened

DSC_0005.jpg

Whoa, what a collection! I live in Sydney too, so you better lock it up at night :devil:

easilyled

Flashaholic

@easilyled, I just took 1m lux measurements and it came in at roughly 3K (@31 seconds) so I was spot on. The beams are identical so the V11R to V10A comparo will give you a good idea of V10R Ti+ vs. V10R (XP-G).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

That helps a lot Tim. Many thanks for taking the trouble for me, its really appreciated.

So in a nutshell, the V10R (XPG) has about 25% more lux than the V10R Ti+ but only about half the overall output.

On the other hand though, for the small size of light, it wouldn't be practical to run the V10R Ti+ on maximum except for a very short space of time due to the heat-sinking not being adequate for longer. It would also eat up the runtime very quickly.

Latest posts