Why there are no lights like the Fenix TK20?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe no other manufacturers are thinking of making a 2AA thrower like the TK20. I don't know about others but I love to have a 2AA thrower. I don't need it to have a super big head because I don't need it for search and rescue. I don't like to buy other batteries and chargers because AA is easy to find abroad and I have lots of Eneloop.

Anyone else want to see a good 2AA thrower?

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I did think about that when I posted the original thread, I did remember reading it's not much of a thrower. Maybe with a different led and a smooth reflector, it'll be a good thrower.
The Quark Turbo series do have smooth reflectors and, compared to the Quark series, are intended to be throwers. I have the Quark 123^2 Turbo X and it is a good thrower for its size.

Although I don't have one, the Quark AA^2 Turbo with a deep smooth reflector and 205 lumens should throw reasonably well.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark Turbo series do have smooth reflectors and, compared to the Quark series, are intended to be throwers. I have the Quark 123^2 Turbo X and it is a good thrower for its size.

Although I don't have one, the Quark AA^2 Turbo with a deep smooth reflector and 205 lumens should throw reasonably well.

Too bad they didn't use a good throwing LED like XP-E or XR-E.

The surefire E2L-AA is a 2XAA thrower.

Oh, I forgot about the E2L-AA, but ~$150!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK20 does 6,150 lux.

Quark AA² Turbo does slightly more than that. I don't remember exactly what, but it should do around 6,400 lux.

P100A2 reaches 6,860 lux.

Javelin with stock smooth reflector and XR-E R2 EZ900 or XP-E R4 can hit 10,000 lux. It can be pushed to 13,000 to 14,000 lux using an alternate smooth reflector and XP-E R4 pill.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector from Ultrafire 3-mode XM-L T6 P60 drop-in. By combining Dereelight's XP-E R4 pill and Ultrafire's reflector, an interesting result can be seen.

Check out these two threads;
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319511
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332172

You can find the Ultrafire drop-in at Manafont, SKU 5720. Dereelight pills can be ordered directly from Dereelight's website.

It's not an easy modification. It took me some time to get the reflector to focus the beam properly, apply thermal grease and copper tape. The result, however, was nonetheless impressive since I ended up with a 2xAA/1xCR123A light that pretty much out-throws just about everything in its size category.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
In my older AA threads the Javelin was tested at around 6,000 lux for the XP-E R3. If you can find the threads in my thread list they are sort of old now. The lux readings are there. Tre took some. I had the P100A2 and had the Javelin for sale on CPFM the day I got my P100A2. P100A2 XP-E R2/R3 can top 7,500lux.

The readings on th box of the Javelin were wrong. My Javalin did not do 10,000lux. As far as I know I have never seen lux @ 1 meter readings of the Javelin anywhere near 10,000 lux. Maybe someone will provide us where that info can be found.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? Then the Ultrafire reflector MUST be doing an excellent job at focusing that beam, because the XP-E R4/UF reflector configuration produces a spot as intense as my Scorpion V2 with stock head, which gets around 13,000+ lux according to selfbuilt.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? Then the Ultrafire reflector MUST be doing an excellent job at focusing that beam, because the XP-E R4/UF reflector configuration produces a spot as intense as my Scorpion V2 with stock head, which gets around 13,000+ lux according to selfbuilt.

13000k with 2AA or 3AA?

I really hope another company will make a similar light.

Tiresius

Enlightened
This is a very old designed light. The TK20 was at its prime when it first came out. Not to mention, a warmer tint. It threw well for such a small head. Not to mention, it's slim and VERY robust. The magic behind its capabilities is the deep, narrow reflector.

I thought today's E20 and E21 replaced it but can't confirm until I see some lux readings from a fellow cpf reviewer.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The special thing about this light is the extreme thickness of the walls. I bet it could take an xm-l at 3A without getting hot too fast. Many people consider it to have had the best neutral tint ever although I personally think that the newer high cri lights have surpassed it. During the winter it better than most others because of the rubber grip.
If like this light just send to one of the modders here and let him switch out the driver and maybe even the led to get better performance and get rid of the stupid donut hole and the inductor whine along the way.

pertinax

Enlightened
I agree about this light being fantastic-- I've had one for nearly four years now, and it stands up against anything 4Sevens makes as far as lux, color, and ruggedness. I think you could drive a truck over one without issue. If you need throw, it's got it. If you need good color, it's got it.

I'm not picking on 4Sevens-- I have four or five of theirs and love them for what they are-- small and BRIGHT. The TK20 isn't small. It's big and ugly compared to the Quarks, and it could use a much lower "low" mode. But in this age of ever increasing die sizes, its throw makes it unique by the year. Mine is not for sale...

Pertinax

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I gifted mine to a close friend who does a bunch of outdoor camping... seemed a good fit for her at the time.... only now do I realise how good the tk20 was. I still see it everynow and then, and my friends still uses and loves it. She also tells me when she gets comments about it, which is nice. I think she understands that she has an awesome light in her possession.

I did see some brand new at 3 Vets in Vancouver... perhaps I should go and buy a classic.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt sell mine either :)

**To you and Pertinax: You two said you wouldnt sell your TK 20's, but they say everything has a price, and if you wave enough money in front of people's faces, anything is for sale...

In the spirit of that notion, I will offer you guys $15 each for your TK 20's...How about THOSE marbles, huh? Now what do you say?

Just kidding, but if it throws that well, I'd like to get my hands on a nice used one....