Modifying a 2 d cell Maglite to LED (I need it for night fishing)

johnfurry

Newly Enlightened
This is probably old hat for many of you, but as a newby, I have no idea how to modify my maglite to LED, without major surgery. Is there any way of doing this, and if so (1) how, and (2) where do I get the parts/pieces I need for this:confused:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A drop-in PR2 led bulb.

Superbrightleds.com

I have loads of these !

and

Last edited:

ToyTank

Enlightened
If you want to spend a bit more the malkoff 2D which is REALLY nice only take 2 minutes and a hacksaw to modify the reflector. Super easy then you have a super all USA thrower.

Edit: Skillet I'm not sure direct links to merchant site is permitted. I think you need to link to their sales threads on CPFMP if they have one.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
wouldnt a headlamp be much better than a D-celled Light?

(I never really took the D ones with me on any occation, they simply are too thick to put whereever and too heavy)

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I'd say just buy a new Maglite Led. The new ML125 3C model has an XP-G led, about as good as you can ask for in a Maglite form factor. Plus you'll probably spend more just converting yours than buying a new one, especially if you mess up considering you're not very experienced in building flashlights.

Or even better than Maglite, just get a dedicated high performance flashlight. One thing since you're fishing you'll probably want a water proof flashlight. A good one for fishing, would be a Solarforce M8, li-ion batteries and a much brighter XM-L led, people will think you're bringing a spotlight.

awenta

Enlightened
Honestly I'd say just buy a new Maglite Led. The new ML125 3C model has an XP-G led, about as good as you can ask for in a Maglite form factor. Plus you'll probably spend more just converting yours than buying a new one, especially if you mess up considering you're not very experienced in building flashlights.

Or even better than Maglite, just get a dedicated high performance flashlight. One thing since you're fishing you'll probably want a water proof flashlight. A good one for fishing, would be a Solarforce M8, li-ion batteries and a much brighter XM-L led, people will think you're bringing a spotlight.

This is true but most of us have modded maglights and not because it's economical but because it's fun. And there is so much room in there to do almost anything.

I second the malkoff for an easy, bright, bulletproof upgrade.

OP look at the stickied thread at the top of the home made section, lots of good mag light links.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A drop-in PR2 led bulb.

Superbrightleds.com

I have loads of these !

and

That is old stuff.
The PR2-W1-WVR is 1.3 lumen.
The PR2-.5WHP is 22 lumen.
-
The PR2-1WHP-9V is 100 lumen.
The PR2-3WHP-3V is 180 lumen. BUT I cannot get it to focus as tightly as the PR2-1WHP-9V. Worse the hotspot is ringy with white and yellow bands.

For a simple bulb swap I'll probable go with either the PR2-1WHP-9V or Terralux TLE-6EXB.
Or ask to see if anyone has an old Mag 2 cell LED upgrade bulb they are not using.

Then the Malkoff.

Then build your own.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238641-How-To-Mod-a-Maglite-P7-38-PICS
(You need to convert your Maglite to hold 3 C cells with a piece of plastic pipe.)

rambo180

Enlightened
For a simple bulb swap I'll probable go with either the PR2-1WHP-9V or Terralux TLE-6EXB.
Or ask to see if anyone has an old Mag 2 cell LED upgrade bulb they are not using.

QUOTE]

+1 for Terralux. Can't beat it for US$15 on eBay.