Sunwayman M11R review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman M11R

More control rings to the rescue. Sunwayman continues to release new lights based on the simple UI they were founded on. Does this new light live up to its storied heritage?

Sunwayman M11R

Meat and Potatoes

The Sunwayman M11R claims to be simply an iterative improvement over the original M10R released early on in Sunwayman's existence (back when they were known as SunwayLED), but truth be told, it feels far more like an entirely new flashlight model than simply technological advancements.

Sporting the same L-M-H sequence as the M10R, the 11 variant this time offers more definition between the modes. Medium and High have gained a readily apparent difference that makes them far more distinguishable and thereby useful. Low mode carries the same 4 lumen rating, along with it the same "moon mode" feel of it's predecessor. Medium is a very useful middle of the road split between today's screaming available top ends, but still remains as bright as many of the brightest lights of yesteryear. It's truly high High mode is something to behold. Claiming output of 230 lumens, this tiny powerhouse is definitely capable of running with the big dogs of the present as well.

Sunwayman M11R

UI is likely the largest change between this and the M10R. The M11R simply doesn't have a tailcap switch. The control ring has an "Off" position that suffices for that function, however by the very nature of such a design, this does allow for a minute parasitic drain on your cell. Sunwayman claims an ultra-low 50μA standby current though, which translates to an incredibly long time before you would ever notice any reduction in runtime. The remainder of the output modes are simply accessed by dialing up the ring until you get enough light. It is a fantastically intuitive interface. SOS and strobe mode are available as well, though thankfully tucked away far enough to prevent them from accidental activation.

The relatively narrow, textured reflector geometry and ostentatiously large die of the Cree XM-L creates a wide flood beam that illuminates a broad swath of nearly everything around you. This setup yields a beautiful smooth profile with gradual transitions from spot to corona to spill the likes of which the original XR-E was utterly incapable. There are some hints of ringyness to the outside edges of the beam, however they are extremely minor and don't come into play during real-world use at all.

Cree XM-L

Fit and finish of the M11R are completely top notch as expected from Sunwayman. To date, I believe I haven't yet had any reason to nitpick the quality of physical workmanship coming from Sunwayman. Normally my review samples have been a rather standard thick anodizing (though originally with a rather unique color cast) but this particular model was given to me as a method of showing how they are branching out in their available finishes. The Natural anodizing appears to be just as solidly thick as the colored variety has been in previous models, but it carries a rougher, grippier exterior to the table as well. This combined with the standard diamond knurling instead of the previous machining style gives a light with a very solid grip.

Constructive Criticism

Easily matching with the fantastic fit and finish is the Titanium, deep-carry pocket clip. In concept this clip is truly fantastic. It is very sturdy and extremely attractive. It does tend to ride on a smooth spot on the head of the light, rather than the body which makes it quite likely to leave a nice long scratch when you need to change batteries, however this is relatively easily avoided. Its biggest fault lies in conjunction with the ease that the control ring rotates. What this looks like in real world use is the light constantly tending to turn itself on when you attach it to your pocket. I tended to carry it on my left side, clipped to the pocket edge, and if I placed the light and then slid it aft, it would almost inevitably be on, at least in Low mode, sometimes higher. By default I think that this might have been somewhat mitigated by simply carrying it right side, however a flashlight wasn't about to supplant the knife I've been carrying there for more years than I knew quality flashlights to exist. I'm not exactly sure what can be done to circumvent this scenario, but I certainly wish it wasn't an issue. Sunwayman did include a decent quality holster with the light, but with a clip as nice as this, it really seems like you're underutilizing it by not pocket-carrying.

Sunwayman M11R

Also of moderate frustration is the location where the clip rides. The edge of it just lands on the head of the light rather than some flat or smooth round of the body. This creates a minor problem where you need to take care as you change the battery or you will find yourself wearing a nice long scratch into the head as you rotate it under the clip. I would prefer to see this located elsewhere but honestly, the easiest fix for this is to remember carefully hold the clip away from the body any time you need to change the cell.

Conclusions

The Sunwayman M11R is a relatively worthy successor to its supposed forefather, however I personally view it as the start of a whole new line of lights. It seems high quality and is very easy to use. Good looks are just the icing on the cake.

Mr. Elfin

Provided for review by the kind folks at Sunwayman.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good comments as usual, thanks for sharing. :)

I am actually enjoying my tan M11R more than what I would have expected, it is really short and you can always find a place for it in your pocket. :cool:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Mine has been fully dominating the EDC role, much as I had hoped!

I did toss a Ti bezel ring on it...... And there will be an emitter swap once I find the right one.
I have no real complaints yet besides the cool tint. Love love the deep carry clip.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice writeup, as always with your reviews!

In regards to the clip touching the head: I changed batteries a few times and never lifted the clip away from the head. Nothing to see on the finish, nothing. But since the clip is not that sturdy you can very easily bend it with your fingers so that it does not touch the head anymore. I did so and now there is a small gap (~1/2mm) between the clip and the head.

Claiming output of 290 lumens....
Typo, shouldn´t it be 230 lumens?

Obviously with the different beams produced by the XM-L and the XP-G you can´t compare brightness on a white wall. So I compared the output of my M11R with my V10R Ti via ceiling bounce test and it´s very slightly brighter than the V10R Ti with it´s claimed 210 lumens. With the runtime on high being 1.5hrs on both lights (M11R with 180 lumens on a CR123A) I have to admit I like the XP-G beamshape much more in such small lights than the one produced by the XM-L.

It´s a cool little light. I like the UI very much, even more than the variable control ring of the V10R. On one hand I really like the fact the the control ring is easily operated with just a finger. On the other I didn´t carry the light yet (still not sure wether to keep it or not) and if it should turn on in the pocket.....that´d bother me.

Eric

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
Is the control ring typically operated by two hands like a twisty, or is the magnetic ring smooth enough that most people are using one hand?

I plan on ordering one only if it is one hand, and I would send it back if it isn't a truly one-handed operating twisty.

I'm also still waiting for a true AA version. I'd like to see what the output/runtime specs are for the AA. I know Zebralight doesn't a very good job with their AA lights compared to CR123 (not much of a difference between the battery's output/runtime).

Jake

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I declare the M11R not pocket friendly :( This morning I clipped it into my jeans pocket and drove to work. When I arrived at the office the light was on medium. Not hot but nice and cozy warm. Ah, I still like it somehow :) but nonetheless looking for a Jeatbeam RRT-01......

Eric

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I too have felt the warmth of the light while in the pocket and in a reply to my post at CPFMP about it there was mention of locking out the light by turning the head assembly about 1/4 turn, loosening it from the battery tube. But you have to be sure that 1/4 turn is enough because when the head is loose from the battery tube, the two halves will move side to side and the light can still come on. For me, that's not too practical. If I do carry it, it goes in the top shirt or jacket pocket. It's still a neat little light though.
My V10/11R and V10R Ti still remain as my EDC's.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry it loose in my pants pocket and it never turned on by itself. The detent at the off position should however be a bit stronger.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry it loose in my pants pocket....
That´s what I´m doing now too. Since the clip isn´t really worth it in my book I removed it and hopefully it won´t turn on again on it´s own. I had it in my left pocket as well when that happend.

Eric