My First Mod Surefire KL1 with Q3J LED, Beam Shots

andyz

Newly Enlightened
I just had to have a go so I got the tools out and did the mod. A word of warning, don't even try to remove the bezel cap without heating it up. I made up a special set of grips with rubber padding and had a go without heating the head and I could just start to hear a crackling sound when I applied the pressure to twist it, I ended up with a couple of very minor flakes chipping off the front lense (oh well this is going to be the EDC light now). After a minute or so with the heat gun it came off with hardly any pressure. Here are some pictures of before and after mod beam shots.

The flashlight after the mod with a nice even white light.
FF1.jpg

Beam shot of the standard Xenon Lamp on E1E
FF2.jpg

Beam shot of E1E with KL1 Standard Low Dome LED
FF4.jpg

Beam shot of E1e with Modified KL1/Q3J LED
FF3.jpg

As you can see in the photo's the Q3J has a larger hot spot in the middle and the white color is uniform all the way out with only a couple of very very small green tints on two sides but you really cant notice them. The photo of the standard LED shows the green tint totally surrounding the center hot spot. BTW, my web site is up and running but nothing interesting as yet, just a bunch of half finished pages but im getting there slowly. The beam shots were done quickly but when im properly set up I will include a lot more info with distance and Lux measurements at various points. I still have a standard KL1 arriving in the mail and will keep it stock for more detailed comparisons against the Q3J. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My First Mod Surefire KL1 with Q3J LED, Beam S

The beam is so good with HD I guess you will end moding the next one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. If you find a replacement, let me know! My lens chipped like old and beatup.

Vince.

andyz

Newly Enlightened

I tried taking the lense off the standard Xenon head but It was glued on solid, not even heat would get it off. I will definately mod all my KL1s, I have 3 Q3Js left and a bit of know how now so hopefully the future mods will get better as I go

yclo

Flashaholic*

Actually, with strap wrenches I've never needed to heat up my bezels. Just a *lot* of force, no chipped lenses.

-YC

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now you need to overclock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good going andyz!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nothing like rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty.

yclo's right though. Since I started using a strap wrench, I haven't cracked any lenses or HAD to use heat. In fact Harbor Freight's last flyer has them on sale for like $4 for a set. Now all you need to do is crank up the amps!!

I just did one to 1A with an R2K and a Fraen. It makes a real nice hand warmer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Where do you find a set of really small strap wrenches that would work on small flashlights? I checked Harbour Freight's web site, and their smallest is for 4" diameter.

Bill

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bullzeyebill,
The one you looked at I believe is for a max of 4" diameter. I think it's the one I have and it works fine.

BTW, I also saw a nice set at Home Depot for $10. Forget the shipping and waiting, just pay the tax.

andyz

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like the strap wrench is the go, I think I will go out to the shops tonight and search for a set.