Zebralight SC600 vs Zebralight SC600W? Which do you like best? Is it a good light?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on buying an 18650 light by this coming week at the latest, and I had discovered the Lumapower D-Mini EX-2, and it had many of the specs I was interested in so I started a thread here asking for opinions on that light, cause there isnt a whole lot of info available, but I got nothing in 24 hours so far. Yeah, it looks like 169 people have read the thread and 3 have posted on it, but all 3 of those posts were done by me to keep the thread at or near the top of the list in hopes someone would see it and happen to own a LP D-Mini EX-2 who could comment on it, but apparently no one does...

I had already looked into all the bigger, more popular company names, and founf a couple/few lights that seemed to fill the bill, like the Eagletac G25 C2, and the Jetbeam RRT-21, but I kept getting more 'referrals' from people here to look at other lights, so I then got to the lesser known brands like Lumintop, Lumapower.

But now I stumbled onto the Zebralight SC600, and it seems pretty cool. It doesnt have the infinite adjustibility that the RRT-21 does, but it certainly has a LOT of brightness settings(3 high, 3 med, 3 low), and it looks completely different from all the rest(as does the Lumapower D Mini EX-2). It also supposedly goes up to the turbo setting of 640 OTF lumens, which is way higher than most 18650 lights. I wont be using the turbo setting much, but its good to have. The Zebralight SC600 has a top mounted switch which is not too common these days, and I have not seen a picture of the back of the light yet, so I dont know if it has a forward clicky too, but........

Anyway, it comes with 2 different XM-L color tint options. One is around 6,000K and the other is about 4,200K, thats the warm one. The 4,200K comes in the SC600W model, and the SC600 comes with the cooler 6,000K XM-L.

I looked at a couple video comparisons of both of these 2 lights, and there is a HUGE difference in color temp, and color tint. The SC600 is very cool and white, while the SC600W is very warm and yellowish. I was surprised at the difference. But another aspect of it is the fact that the SC600 looks brighter as well, whereas the SC600w looks warmer, but not quite as bright. The SC600 seems to do a better job of lighting things up from a distance, but its not as good at color rendering it seems.

Which do you own or prefer, and do you like the Zebralight SC600 or w? Have you had a good experience with it?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the SC600w. the sc600 non-w is more of a "tint lottery" light and you may get one with a greenish tint you'll dislike. the SC600w (neutral white) is a safe pick.

I have the SC600 and it's an amazing light, and I plan on complementing it with a neutral white SC600w :)

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tail clickies and I have side clickies, there are even rotaries available.. But for me, nothing is more natural, ergonomic to use than a side clicky. I'd buy it for this reason alone. Lumens? Everyone can have it, in fact, more than enough than most of us will actually need. Now, Highlander, what your choice of tint?

Denny Francisco

Newly Enlightened
I am very impressed with the new Zebralight SC600: dazzling flawless beam, medium width spot with bright peripheral beam, bombproof aluminum case, great ergonomic slide clicky, and compact size. Weighs a mere 4 oz. I like the cooler white beam over the warmer, yellow beam. HI, MED, and LOW settings each have two customizable levels. STROBE can also be custom set. Quick click turns on in HI setting, and a slower click turns on in LOW, although the Quick Click is VERY quick, and sometimes you get the LOW setting when you thought you were turning on in HI. I plan to use it as a helmet-mounted bike light, cheaper than the comparable dedicated bike lights with similar intensity/burn time. Get a "protected" 18650 battery to prevent overcharging/overdraining. Zebralight says use battery of 67 mm or less, but the Tenergy(68mm) works fine.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the SC-600 last month and it's a pretty nice light. Well made, good amount of output modes and my tint isn't too bad, although on the lower modes, it slews towards green, but it's not really an issue for me.

I run an EagleTac 3100 and can't complain.

Chris

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't the first time I've raved about the SC600 and it won't be last if I can help it, simply put the SC600 is the best EDC flashlight I've yet owned and I own my fare share. The size, brightness, UI and quality is everything you could ask for and them some, there really isn't much else I can say that would help you until you try one out yourself.

Choosing between the cool white and neutral model is purely personal preference, there really is no this one is better than that one, only your eyes will know. For me "personally" I like the little bit of extra brightness and I rarely use the neutral tinted light's I own, same goes for the warm tinted light's.

From my own experience and from what I've gathered here it has always seemed Zebralight is one of the better manufactures at getting good cool white tint's, I've never got a bad tint when choosing a cool white tinted Zebralight.

If you haven't already read over the SC600 threads below.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Zebralight-SC600-amp-SC600W-discussion-part-2

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Review-RUNTIME-BEAMSHOTS-comparisons-amp-more!

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
I've got both. I had the SC600 for awhile and later bought a SC600W. If I could only have one I'd probably get the SC600. I just think the SC600W is too warm. 4800K or so would have been better, I guess I want a neutral white rather than warm white. Both SC600 and SC600W color's, to me, are not ideal. One is too warm and the other is too cool. The only other difference is the SC600 is noticeably brighter than the SC600W, so with all else equal might as well get the brighter light. Honestly though its very close. Its not like I go out of my way to carry the SC600 over the SC600W. Both sit on my desk and I grab the first one I see.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I have the SC600w, and it is such a great light. I couldnt belive how small and compact it was at first...then when you turn it on, I was shocked at how bright it was.

It is a lot of flood, but sheer lumens seems to give it decent throw as well. For walking, camping or around the house it is just perfect, as I can see everything around me without to much of a blinding hotspot to look at.

The neutral tint I find is amazing. I have quite sensitive eyes, so this tint is great indoors and out...whilst still being plenty bright!
It is not too warm, and slightly yellow. But a good mix of better CRI and brightness for me (if that makes sense).

(I am also awaiting a HDS high CRI...be interesting to compare them)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tail clickies and I have side clickies, there are even rotaries available.. But for me, nothing is more natural, ergonomic to use than a side clicky. I'd buy it for this reason alone. Lumens? Everyone can have it, in fact, more than enough than most of us will actually need. Now, Highlander, what your choice of tint?

To be honest I like the warmer tints of the lower color temps. My iTp A6 has a Cree MC-E with a warmer tinted LED, and I love the color of it. My Jetbeam BC-10 on the other hand has an XP-G R5 with a cooler tint, and although I like the light a lot due to its portability, I'd prefer a warmer tint. I dont even know if the R5 came in a version with a warmer tint, but thats neither here nor there at this point.

The problem is, I only have those 2 lights to compare, and although the videos on youtube show a big difference in the 2 different XM'L's available in the Zebra SC600 and SC600w, it's hard to compare them with the lights I have at home, so I dont know if the ZL SC600 is actually much cooler than my BC-10, or if the ZL SC600w is much warmer than my Itp A6. I dont want something that is either TOO blueish or TOO yellow.

I could simply compare the advertised color temps of the 2 Zebra's to my 2 lights, but I dont know the color temps of my lights, as it wasnt listed in the specs, and as some say, there can be a bit of a 'lottery' when it comes to each particular LED in each light.

I also dont want to lose too much throw range due to the SC600w's yellow-ness, which in the video there is a noticeable difference in the throw range of the 2 SC600 versions.

I already have 2 lights which are more floody than throw-ey.

These 'issues' arent really all that important in the grand scheme of things of choosing a new light, but if I can figure out whats going on before hand, it will make my purchase a better experience I think.

380long

Newly Enlightened
I have the SC600 but I like cool white much better than warm white. Although I recently picked up something in a warmer white and it has grown on me as things color wise look more natural with the warm. I still do prefer cool white lights as they look much brighter to me anyway.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't the first time I've raved about the SC600 and it won't be last if I can help it, simply put the SC600 is the best EDC flashlight I've yet owned and I own my fare share. The size, brightness, UI and quality is everything you could ask for and them some, there really isn't much else I can say that would help you until you try one out yourself.

Choosing between the cool white and neutral model is purely personal preference, there really is no this one is better than that one, only your eyes will know. For me "personally" I like the little bit of extra brightness and I rarely use the neutral tinted light's I own, same goes for the warm tinted light's.

From my own experience and from what I've gathered here it has always seemed Zebralight is one of the better manufactures at getting good cool white tint's, I've never got a bad tint when choosing a cool white tinted Zebralight.

If you haven't already read over the SC600 threads below.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Zebralight-SC600-amp-SC600W-discussion-part-2

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320986-Zebralight-SC600-(1x18650-XM-L)-Review-RUNTIME-BEAMSHOTS-comparisons-amp-more!

I'm surprised I didnt see this before, I guess I just assumed it would be so, but now that I look at the specs of the SC600, I dont see anywhere listed that you can use CR123's in this light as well as 18650's. Can you safely use 123's in the SC600? I dont see it mentioned in Goinggear's site, or at illumination Supply.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I have (and am keeping) the sc600. Sold the sc600w to finance something else. BUT, I am getting a sc600w in the future, I miss it that much.
cool to have both!

bodhran

Enlightened
I had the 600 and later bought the 600w. Gave the 600 to a friend. Nice tint and even with some lumen loss, it's still a puts out plenty of light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thats fairly unusual is it not? From what I've read, most 18650 lights will take 123's with no problem. What would be the issue with using 123's in this light?

Its not just FITTING, its about voltage.

ONE 18650 might pump out 4.2 volts, and ONE RCR123 might put out 4.2 v too.

But TWO RCR123's will put out 8.4 v, twice the voltage as one.

If the circuitry is not able to handle it, it could fry the electronics.

If the circuitry CAN handle it, the light will potentially burn brighter with double the voltage, but, for only 750 mAh instead of 3100 mAh, etc....or JUST for the shorter run time, with NO increase in brightness, again, depending on the circuitry

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
Thats fairly unusual is it not? From what I've read, most 18650 lights will take 123's with no problem. What would be the issue with using 123's in this light?
The light driver on the SC600(W) was designed and optimized to be used with 18650 ONLY. If you want to use other battery types, this light is NOT for you. That said, the 18650 packs the most amp hours of any battery used for flashlights. Using one give you the longest run time vs the others in the same physical space. I love my SC600W. This light is my favorite out of my 20+ lights. If you already spent the money on the 18650s and a good charger, this light is a MUST BUY. If you prefer AA or CR123 format, the SC80(W) flashlight really fits that niche. I like my SC80W, but the SC600W is my EDC hands down.

af112566

Newly Enlightened
i have a sc600 and like it very much,,just remember it has a very,very floody beam..