CR123?

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, this is only my second post here on CPF, so please don't mind if I may ask some obvious questions.

What I'd like to know is why such a huge majority of EDC sized lights are powered by CR123 batteries rather than AA or 14500? I know they're brighter, but I'm pretty sure 14500s will be able to match its brightness with 3.7V at its disposal. What turns me away from CR123 lights is the fact that RCR123s have such low capacities, and a single CR123 primary could cost a few dollars. Seeing that most of these lights don't usually last more than a few days of use on one battery, wouldn't the cost of CR123s stack up to astronomical amounts over time?

Why're CR123 powered lights so popular then?

nbp

Flashaholic
:welcome:

There are many, many threads on this exact topic, with excellent posts in reply. I recommend the Google bar at the top of the page for easy searching. Likewise, there is a whole sub-forum devoted to batteries, where you will likely find plenty of info to be of interest to you. Enjoy!

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
CR123s are so popular because they can power extremely bright lights, they last for years when stored, and they are safer than rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
High power, low weight, sub zero / high temp temperature performance, 10 year storage life in a great form factor.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
CR123s are so popular because they can power extremely bright lights, they last for year when stored, and they are safer than rechargeable batteries.

And the rechargeables are more popular because they can power even BRIGHTER lights, and save on buying an endless supply of disposable cells.

Essentially, if I need a light to sit in a glove compartment or other stored location for emergency use, and don't want to check on it and top the charge up, I use a primary.

If I use a light regularly, and want it a lot brighter,and want to save a fortune on cell replacement, I use rechargeables.

The primaries might last 1500 mAh, the rechargeable versions of the 123 might only last 750 mAh..but can be swapped out, recharged and rotated back in, rather than disposed of when discharged.

The 18650 cells have supplanted much of the RCR123 market, due to the even longer run times, and that a single cell is safer than several cells in series, etc.

ONE 18650 might have 3100 mAh, and 4.2 v, instead of the 1500 mAh and 3 V for the primary 123.

On the flip side, if the light's circuitry works for it...2 123's give more like 6 v, but still only 1500 mAh, etc...which CAN make some lights brighter at the expense of runtime.

The RCR123's allow even more brightness if a light is brighter with more voltage.

For example, the Surefire Fury is no brighter with RCR's over primary 123's, and it only saves money to use the rechargeables...with no performance boost.

..But the Klarus XT11 is a LOT brighter with two RCR123's than one 18650, but the run time is dropped dramatically...

and so forth.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also keep in mind, why flashlights go through them so fast is, a lot of us (not me...really) search for the brightest light we can find. I have quite a bit of Surefires that have 100+ hours of runtime. One of mine even clocked 3,000 hours off one cell. The reliability, operating range (temp wise), shelf life, and weight, really make it a no brainer for me, when I need a light weight, reliable battery to fuel my lights.

Oh, and Welcome!

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your replies. So most of you don't find the cost of constantly buying CR123 primaries inhibitive? How long does one cell usually last you guys when you EDC it?

And when you do decide to use RCR123s, what advantage does that cell have over a 14500 Li-ion?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for all your replies. So most of you don't find the cost of constantly buying CR123 primaries inhibitive? How long does one cell usually last you guys when you EDC it?

Right off the bat, do some more research regarding CR123 cells. Know exactly what you're dealing with before you get into them. They are no joke if mishandled. Plenty of topics on CPF regarding the potential dangers of using CR123 cells. Please read through those topics, first.

Regarding cost:
Never buy CR123 cells at Brick & Mortar stores. At around $9 for one, those places are a rip-off. Three steps for saving money on CR123 cells.

1 - Buy Made in America cells (Not about Patriotism. It's about crucial safety standards.)
2 - Buy online from a reputable online shop.
3 - Buy in bulk.

The last case of CR123 cells (12) that I bought were Energizer brand that cost me $16 and a bit of change. So, just over $16 for 12 CR123 cells online vs. $18 + tax for only 2 CR123 cells from a physical store. That's how we save money. And the Made in America cells you get online are the very same quality as the ones inside a B&M shop.

I don't use my Milky-modded SureFire L1 for work. Mine can last a few weeks on the same cell during infrequent use.

Flashlight Enthusiast
about cr123
as Norm says, it is all over cpf if you search. perhaps too many threads...

1) power delivery capability
2) availability, every drugstore on the planet carries them
3) small and lightweight
4) stores on the shelf or in a hot car (please, below 212 F/100C) for ages (year after year)

there is actually one reputable cheap chinese cr123 that has been tested here a few times
and shown to be equal to duracell (which is the gold standard in cr123)

you can't go wrong buying these, whereas you roll the dice with other cheap brands

--titanium innovations cr123 1400mah--
it is UL listed
about a buck each usually (or lower)
it is a house brand from a battery seller in CT

Erzengel

Enlightened
The efficient LEDs of today allow the manufacturers to build flashlights with up to 200 lumens that run on one AA-sized NimH. A few years ago, this was impossible and therefore many of us chose Cr123, at least for EDC. For larger lights You find more powerful LiIon rechargeables, but the 16340 are really weak compared to primaries.
I only stay with Cr123s for EDC, because i like their form factor and there are more interesting EDC-lights with one Cr123 than with one AA.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with the OP and see really only one direct (and an indirect) advantage to the CR123s, yet many disadvantages. I've read through a lot the arguments here on other threads and I don't think they cover the comparison fully. I hope the mods don't lock this thread because "it's been discussed before." New ideas come up and I hope the FL manufacturers read these types of threads.

With primaries, double the voltage means double the max lumens. Also, I understand that emitters run a bit more efficiently at 3v than at 1.5v so that should mean somewhat more runtime. Advantage 123.

Comparing apples to apples, I understand that a lithium AA (L91) is 1.5v/3000mah and a CR123 is 3v/1500mah - or both have the same watt/hrs of juice for runtime. Both have the same cold/hot weather and long term storage performance. Both also seem to cost about the same in bulk quantities for quality brand names, although there is a much wider selection of 123s. On a retail level, both seem to be equally available, or unavailable, but the L91s are much cheaper in store. Call this a tie.

Li-ions - 14500s vs 16340s. Although both state 750 mah, the 16340s are know to be overstated. Many tests here have shown 14500s to have significantly higher capacities due to their 12% greater volumes. Advantage AAs.

Alkaline and NiMh chemistries. Wide, wide, availability; cheap, cheap pricing; idiot-proof rechargeable safety. I may be wrong, but I think these chemistries are only available to the AA folks. Advantage AAs.

Back-up options. Forget to bring spares? You have much better odds of finding something in AA format, or are probably even carrying another AA device to cannibalize from. Advantage AAs.

Emergency availability. Many have made the case that AAs are the first to sell out of stores in a major storm/black-out - I think I'd agree. No worries, I count at least two or three dozen AA/AAA in my home just in remote controls, wall clocks, clock radios, electronic thermostats and thermometers, game controllers, walkie talkies, kids toys, etc. AAAs can be used in place of AAs - just use a couple dollar bills and a balled-up piece of aluminum foil as spacers. Advantage AAs.

So why don't more flashlight manufacturers focus on AA? Especially some of the premium American manufacturers like Surefire and HDS? No 123s for me as I like lots of power and back-up options.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a box of 23-year-old Panasonic 3v lithiums. They still show on my voltmeter as 3.4 volts +- .1%

When the asteroid hits us in December :D ...advantage CR123