Glow in the dark tail caps?

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Maybe this is a naive question ... . Are there any "glow in the dark" tail caps that draw their power from the battery(ies) or are they all the "absorb light," flourescent type deals?

Thanks

Mick

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Maybe this is a naive question ... . Are there any "glow in the dark" tail caps that draw their power from the battery(ies) or are they all the "absorb light," flourescent type deals?

Thanks

Mick

I don't know of any glow in the dark tailcaps that draw their power from the battery. However, there are the following options:

1. Fluorescent tailcaps - These can be either glow in the dark rubber tailcap button boots, or they can be glow dots like on the DQGIII. They operate by absorbing light and will glow for a short time after the lights go out.

2. Tritium vials (also known as "trits") - these are typically found on high-end custom lights, but some cheaper lights like the Nitecore D11.2 do have slots for them. These are small glass vials about the size of a grain of rice that are filled with radioactive tritium gas. The gas emits electrons which release light when they hit the coating on the inside of the glass vial. Lights that work with trits typically have slots for them. A typical trit should glow for several years before the coating on the glass wears down. They come in a variety of colors. Please note that because tritium is radioactive, you might want to consult your country's laws to make sure trits are legal before purchasing.

3. Moonlight mode- some lights offer very low "moonlight modes". The tailcap won't glow, but the main led at the front of the light will. Most lights with moonlight modes will last several days on one battery. Some last longer. The Zebralight SC600 will run non-stop for over 80 days on moonlight mode. Want to be able to find your light in the dark? Just set it to moonlight mode instead of turning it off.

4. Illuminated switches - some lights like the Nitecore TM11 feature a glowing button switch which is lit by separate LEDs powered from the main battery. This is a fairly rare feature on most flashlights though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any time you see "glow in the dark", it means it's the typical put-it-under-light-and-it-glows material as found in children's toys and the like. We have some high-power glow items (in the case of tailcaps, lumps of raw glow material imbedded in the rubber), but it's a brighter/longer-lasting version of the same thing.

If you want something truly useful for finding your light in the dark, look into tritium; it's more expensive, but far more useful than traditional glow material.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bigger than what you probably want and not exactly what you'd call glow in the dark but a Glo-toob Flash Cap fits on the end of any D cell Mag lite.

I keep thinking one of those would be a really good thing to have on the end of the Mag LED I keep under the seat in the vehicle. It would see more duty at motor sport events I work than anything else but it would help with the jobs I do a rallies.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Love mine! All lights should have a tail lamp..

Cap1.jpg